PC Hardware Architecture Docs?
Author Message
 PC Hardware Architecture Docs?

I'm interested in designing a small operating system for the PC, using some
of the things I've seen in Oberon.

I've looked around the net and in the online bookstores for documentation
on the standard hardware interface for the PC and the BIOS.  It's either
unclear what is a good reference on it, or there seems to be an
overwhelming amount of it.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Will

Fri, 18 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 PC Hardware Architecture Docs?

Quote:

> I'm interested in designing a small operating system for the PC, using some
> of the things I've seen in Oberon.

> I've looked around the net and in the online bookstores for documentation
> on the standard hardware interface for the PC and the BIOS.  It's either
> unclear what is a good reference on it, or there seems to be an
> overwhelming amount of it.

> Any recommendations?

Dear Will,

look at the following WWW pages, you will find there lots of
informations about design and implementation of operating systems (and
also a big bibliography):

http://www.alaska.net/~zumwalt/os/index.htm
http://www.neutralzone.org/home/faqsys/

Yours
Piotr Dudzik
--
Piotr Dudzik, Computer Science Department, University of Ulm,
D-89069 Ulm, Germany, Phone/Fax: +49(0)731-502-4138/4142

http://www-vs.informatik.uni-ulm.de/Mitarbeiter/Dudzik/

Sat, 19 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 PC Hardware Architecture Docs?

Quote:

>I'm interested in designing a small operating system for the PC, using some
>of the things I've seen in Oberon.

So'm I, although Oberon is a relatively minor influence (due to my own
lack of knowledge).  Juice, of course, and SlimBinaries, are a major one.
I only regret that technical info about them is VERY hard to find.

Quote:
>I've looked around the net and in the online bookstores for documentation
>on the standard hardware interface for the PC and the BIOS.  It's either
>unclear what is a good reference on it, or there seems to be an
>overwhelming amount of it.

The best way to explore the BIOS is via the free Interrupt List.  I forget
the exact location, but it's part of the SimTel collection -- you can
always start looking under ftp.cdrom.com/pub/simtelnet/msdos/ (possibly in
the sysutil or a{*filter*}il subdirectory).

Quote:
>Any recommendations?

I'd like to hear more about your project so that I could steal your work.
:)  OTOH, we have a working kernel for our project -- lemme know if you'd
like to plagarize any of it.  Email to continue the discussion.

Quote:
>Will

-Billy

Sat, 19 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 PC Hardware Architecture Docs?

On Tue, 02 Sep 1997 13:42:02 +0200, Piotr Dudzik

Quote:

>> I'm interested in designing a small operating system for the PC, using some
>> of the things I've seen in Oberon.

>> I've looked around the net and in the online bookstores for documentation
>> on the standard hardware interface for the PC and the BIOS.  It's either
>> unclear what is a good reference on it, or there seems to be an
>> overwhelming amount of it.

>> Any recommendations?

Check also Michael Tischer's book, _PC Intern_. Though it has a few
errors in it, it's the most comprehensive text on the PC architecture
that I've seen, and it has extensive, practical information on BIOS
and direct hardware interfacing. You might also want to check out
Intel's website, and the sites of the major BIOS manufacturers.

Eric

Tue, 29 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. US-MA Hardware Engineer Verilog, Simulation, Verification, Bus Architecture/Protocols /Recruiter

2. ifc doesn't recognize hardware architecture

3. Lisp Machine architecture and other hardware support for Lisp

4. PC Architecture and assembly language book any good ?

5. Help on Pc architecture for fast VRML viewing

6. Docs for pc-scheme??

7. PC-Scheme docs wanted

8. how can I use a signal defined in one Architecture to another Architecture

9. IBM-PC 370 hardware/software

10. PC hardware Y2K compliance (correction)

11. PC hardware Y2K compliance

12. Servicing hardware interrupts in F-PC