Update on Switcherland project???
Author Message
 Update on Switcherland project???

Ok.  Perhaps the was discussed during the "Oberon evening" but since
I missed that....

Does anyone here know what is the current status of the Switcherland
project?  Is it running Active Oberon?  Native Oberon?  Plain vanilla
System 3?

I'm intersted in that project because it seems to be the one
development currently in the Oberon world that is unique to
Oberon (at least as far as I know).

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 06 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Update on Switcherland project???
Never heard of Switcherland. What is it ?

Do you have a link for more info ?
--
    Bernhard Treutwein             Tel. +49-89-5996-642, Fax -615
    Institut f. Med. Psychologie  Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitaet

    --------------------------------  ---------------------------
    C is its own virus

Mon, 07 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Update on Switcherland project???

Quote:
> Never heard of Switcherland. What is it ?

It's a project that's created a new computer architecture based
on switches rather than buses.  It uses System 3 as an operating
system and uses some of the FPGA stuff from Lola.  The following
was taken from the Switcherland homepage:

Switcherland is a modular computer architecture that easily scales from
low-end to high-end systems. Switcherland's main feature is a quality
of service (QoS) architecture that covers all levels of a distributed
system, hardware as well as software. Switcherland uses a novel
communication infrastructure based on switches that can be used as an
I/O interconnection structure as well as a cluster interconnection
structure. The ''natural'' programming model offered by a global memory
architecture and the real-time support provided in the form of QoS
guarantees make Switcherland an ideal platform for distributed
applications that process continuous data such as video and audio data
in addition to traditional non-continuous data.

Quote:
> Do you have a link for more info ?

Yes :

http://www.cs.inf.ethz.ch/projects/switcherland/

Please note : The "papers" links on that page seem to be broken.
(They're pointing to the old site.)  The actual papers page is :

http://www.cs.inf.ethz.ch/projects/switcherland/papers/

Hopefully that will be fixed soon.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Mon, 07 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Update on Switcherland project???
Switcherland is a research project dealing with hardware and software.
The goal is to build a novel computer system with:
- a single global address space
- local and remote communication based on load/store instructions
- quality of service (QoS) for the transmitted data
- scalability of bandwidth and functions/system size

Hardware:
The hardware is based on custom-built crossbar switches. Nodes with
specialized functions are attached to these switches (eg. processor node,
audio/video capture node, ...). The switches and nodes are interconnected
by serial links at 266 Mbit/s.

Software:
The software running on the processor nodes (MIPS R4700, up to 2 GB
SDRAM) is a modified System 3. Similar to Native Oberon it runs directly
on the processor node.
Differences are:
- Support for QoS in the Kernel.
- Support for video data that is not under the control of the processor
(in Switcherland video is generated by a audio/video capture node and
directly written to a framebuffer [node]. The Oberon system has to take
correct actions if the video gadget is moved, copied, closed, ..).

Further information to the Switcherland project can be found at
http://www.switcherland.ethz.ch
or
http://www.cs.inf.ethz.ch/projects/switcherland

Hope this was not to much answer for a simple question.

- Peter

Mon, 07 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Update on Switcherland project???

Quote:
> Now you got me interested. How far are you from a commercially viable
> system, that can be deployed at a customer site and run with only
> reasonable amount of handholding?

Far away. That hardware is working properly. But, there would have work to be
done on the software side. Further, some applications that fit our approach
would have to be found.

Quote:
> Is audio/video capture the only DAQ you envision? How about other data
> sources? Can you accept data streams from ethernet links?

No, the concept is open to new ideas. Audio and video were chosen to test our
approach because of the high data rates (video) and the need of low jitter
(audio).
By building a bridge (new node or PC with access to Switcherland) access to the
internet is possible.

Quote:
> I have not used Native, but I used Win S3 quite a bit and sometimes I
> had problems. Compared with BlackBox, I found my own S3 programs to be
> less stable. BlackBox imposes many restrictions on my programming, that
> helps me to write better code. I found restrictions helpful at my
> current level of skill. S3 on the other hand leaves me more freedom what
> in my practice means "freedom to make mistakes and to write questionable
> code". And now comes the question: from your perspective, do not you
> think that S3 as an operating system for a very demanding  project is a
> bit risky? How is your experience concerning the reliability  and
> stability of Gadgets?

Primarily we had to concentrate our work to the hardware. The Software and the
OS are far away from perfect or even complete. The OS contains only a marginal
support for the hardware capabilities of the Switcherland hardware.
For the processor node I have chosen S3 for a few simple reasons:
- source code of the whole system available
- compiler available
- complete system available for demonstration purposes

Quote:
> Did you ever consider Jbed as the Switcherland OS?

No.

- Peter

Mon, 14 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Update on Switcherland project???
Peter:

Have you considered a servoloop project for switcherland?  Here,
I am thinking of a multichannel set of transducers with perhaps
one to many channels of closed loop control.  Each channel of
transducer data would require scaling, limit checking and
possibly digital filtering operations.  This type of application,
it would appear, would seem to fit switcherland.  Any comment?

Thanks,

Mike

Mon, 14 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Update on Switcherland project???

Quote:
> > Now you got me interested. How far are you from a commercially
viable
> > system, that can be deployed at a customer site and run with only
> > reasonable amount of handholding?

> Far away. That hardware is working properly. But, there would have
work to be
> done on the software side. Further, some applications that fit our
approach
> would have to be found.

I'm going to ask what is probably a dumb question.  Why isn't there
more collaborative work done between the Switcherland/Active Oberon/
Native Oberon projects?

Also, say if I wanted to build my own "homebrew" Switcherland
workstation.  Is there enough info in the online docs to do that?
(Yeah, I know, I'm nuts.)

As for an application that would fit your approach, here's one that
I've been batting around in my head for some time now.  Real time
fractal video compression.  Fractal techniques can achieve fantastic
compression ratios, but they're painfully slow.  If the compression
engine could somehow be distributed over a high speed/powered
Switcherland network, and in turn that network be used as a video
server...???  (Ok, perhaps that's nuts too.)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Tue, 15 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. TK project browser updated ;-]

2. MP3 project update available

3. Project Browser Updated.

4. Forth for MMURTL project update

5. mxCGIPython project update

6. mxCGIPython project - Update

7. Ada project list updated

8. DS-OS Project Page Updated

9. Free-DOS project status update --- call for volunteers

10. Update re: Silly F90-> F77 Conversion Project

11. Updated List of Non-governmental Ada projects, formatted better

12. Portability Project Update