3D package for Oberon?
Author Message
 3D package for Oberon?

Are there any (simple) platform independent 3D packages for Oberon?

PolyWorlds (ftp://huxley.inf.ethz.ch/pub/Tools/PolyWorlds.Arc) seems to be
available for MS-Windows only.

If there's nothing for Oberon, I might be able to translate something from
Pascal or Modula-2. Any suggestions?

Fri, 21 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 3D package for Oberon?

Quote:

> .> Are there any (simple) platform independent 3D packages for Oberon?
> .>
> .> PolyWorlds (ftp://huxley.inf.ethz.ch/pub/Tools/PolyWorlds.Arc) seems
> .> to be available for MS-Windows only.

> I would suggest writing portable version of PolyWorlds that doesn't use
> WinG.  You'd only need to change the Module PolyPaint.  From looking at
> it there are only two procedures in PolyPaint that actually make any
> Win32 or WinG calls.  I believe that then WinG stuff can be replaced
> by either Picture calls, or Display3 calls, but at a performance
> penalty.

Thanks! However, the huxley site (above) seems to have been reorganized.
Do you know where the PolyWorlds.Arc is at?

Another possible package might be "Graphic library"
(http://www-iiuf.unifr.ch/~schweizp/graphlib/index.html).

/Jon

Tue, 25 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 3D package for Oberon?

Quote:

> .> Are there any (simple) platform independent 3D packages for Oberon?
> .>
> .> PolyWorlds (ftp://huxley.inf.ethz.ch/pub/Tools/PolyWorlds.Arc) seems
> to be
> .> available for MS-Windows only.
> .>
> .> If there's nothing for Oberon, I might be able to translate something
> from
> .> Pascal or Modula-2. Any suggestions?
> .>

> I would suggest writing portable version of PolyWorlds that doesn't use
> WinG.  You'd only need to change the Module PolyPaint.

Since I'm the original author of PolyWorlds, I might say a few words
here. It was written on a Ceres-2 (with 16 color display) and was more
or less portable. Only when it was included in the Windows release,
the WinG support/dependency was introduced to speed it up a little. Of
course nowadays this is more of a nuisance than an asset.

Quote:
> From looking at
> it there are only two procedures in PolyPaint that actually make any
> Win32 or WinG calls.  I believe that then WinG stuff can be replaced
> by either Picture calls, or Display3 calls, but at a performance
> penalty.

The scene is rendered from back to front, so using a picture for
intermediate storage is definitely recommended to avoid flicker. The
original PolyPaint module does exactly that. It is still around and
could be put on the server. An even better idea would be to upload
PolyWorld's successor Dim3, which also features textures and smooth
shading. For that, however, I'll first have to update the documentation.
Kick me if you don't find anything on this newsgroup or on huxley in
the next few days.

--
Erich (System3 graphics nerd)

Tue, 25 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 3D package for Oberon?

.>

.>

.> >
.> > .> Are there any (simple) platform independent 3D packages for
Oberon?
.> > .>
[...]

Well it comes with the latest version of System 3 for Windows.  Check

ftp://ftp.inf.ethz.ch/pub/software/Oberon/System3/Win32s/Contrib/WinA...

.> Another possible package might be "Graphic library"
.> (http://www-iiuf.unifr.ch/~schweizp/graphlib/index.html).
.>
.> /Jon

That's true.  I looked at that package before, but I've never used it.
Of course it's built on Oberon/F instead of System 3, but if you're not
"married" to System 3 than that isn't a problem.  Also it should be
possible to port it to System 3 if you really wanted to.  There is one
problem though, the module Graph in that package does contain some
MS-Windows specific code.  I'm not sure what would be involved in
replacing it with platform independant code because I just noticed
that today.  One thing else I noticed that makes the package quite
valuable is that it has a Bitmap module.  I've heard several people
in this newsgroup ask such capability.  I'm not sure why the guys
at BlackBox haven't secured the rights to include this package in
their distribution for that very reason.

Fri, 28 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. 2D (or better 3D) packages for VisualWorks ?

2. Lisp friendly 3D Visualization Package

3. 3D graphics package for Tk

4. Any package for 3D?

5. Tcl-SIPP 3D rendering package -- new release

6. Problem with Packages in Plugin Oberon.

7. Oberon V4 Dialogs Package

8. ANNOUNCE> 3D Graphic package for Oberon System 3 for Windows

9. accessing 3D FFT data as 1D/3D complex/real arrays

10. ? subroutine to check if a 3D point is in the 3D region or not

11. Frage Oberon 3 / Question Oberon 3