how?
Author Message
 how?

Here are a few how... questions:

How do I exchange the two bytes of an integer
in a fast/best/system-independent/typesave? way?
(I have to read binary files on different machines...)

How do I program procedures with optional arguments
in Oberon (v1 to be Mac compatible)?

How do I use up to 128 colors on a Mac, RS6000, Sparc, SGI
(all Unix under X11) and maybe even under Windoze? (see next)

How do I display some colorful (8 bit deep) bitmaps  FAST
in a viewer -- as system independent as possible?

and finally a problem from this morning -- so it's probably
just my stupidity

... IMPORT Texts;
     VAR S : Texts.Scanner;
         fName : ARRAY 32 OF CHAR;
  IF S.class = Texts.Name
  THEN
     fName:=S.s (* problem here !!! *)
  ELSE
     fName:="default.Text"
  END

The compiler does not like the assigenment fName:=S.s --
in a way this is correct since the Browser shows S.s of
type ARRAY 32 OF CHAR, and therefore fName has a different
type, but how do I do this? In the book from M.Reiserer
this seems to be the way to do it, but...
How do I solve this?

Thanks
  Lothar

P.S.: I don't mind german answers directly to

Sun, 19 May 1996 22:01:45 GMT
 how?
: Here are a few how... questions:

: How do I exchange the two bytes of an integer
: in a fast/best/system-independent/typesave? way?
: (I have to read binary files on different machines...)

SYSTEM.PUT and SYSTEM.GET each byte

: How do I program procedures with optional arguments
: in Oberon (v1 to be Mac compatible)?

You might want to try message records.

: How do I use up to 128 colors on a Mac, RS6000, Sparc, SGI
: (all Unix under X11) and maybe even under Windoze? (see next)

See oberon.meakins.mcgill.ca:Oberon/X11/Images0.Mod

: How do I display some colorful (8 bit deep) bitmaps  FAST
: in a viewer -- as system independent as possible?

On the RS6000 use oberon -c to allocate a 256 color lut.
You can set the colors with Display.SetColor and Display.PutColor.
The GL lut work differently.

: and finally a problem from this morning -- so it's probably
: just my stupidity

: ... IMPORT Texts;
:      VAR S : Texts.Scanner;
:          fName : ARRAY 32 OF CHAR;
:   ...
:   IF S.class = Texts.Name
:   THEN
:      fName:=S.s (* problem here !!! *)
:   ELSE
:      fName:="default.Text"
:   END
: ...