Oberon-2 & Component Pascal
Author Message
 Oberon-2 & Component Pascal

Oberon Inc is shipping Oberon-2 with the new release of Black Box. It is a
great thing. Although I found Component Pascal as a nice and consistent
refinement of Oberon it is limited to Black Box and Win and MacOS only. It
will be interesting how O2 and CP will coexist and what language will be
more in use (withing the BB).

Recetnly I read in a computer magazine stoy about MS Java (sorry, author, I
do not remember either magazine, article, or your name). The author was
defending MS right for their own flavor of this popular drink. He said that
the ideology of Sun Java is like communist ideology: one solution for
everyone, from the central place, all platforms are equal, and all
implementations are poor.

Oberon community would be just opposite: many ideas, global brainstorming.
However, Oberon is always at the edge of the process known as Balkanization.
Let everyone has his own original ideas about what Oberon is and should be,
but let us not spread in the infinity (and become NIL). O2 for BB is a good
thing, it will allow Oberon Inc to make even more radical changes in CP and
still stay within O community.

Anes

Sat, 20 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Oberon-2 & Component Pascal
Hi there!

Quote:

> Oberon Inc is shipping Oberon-2 with the new release of Black Box. It is a
> great thing.
>[...]
> O2 for BB is a good
> thing, it will allow Oberon Inc to make even more radical changes in CP and
> still stay within O community.

   I agree, this is definitely a good development. Is the O2 "standard
compliant" without ANY extensions? Or can you "gradually" step it up to
CP? Now *that* would be nice... :-)

--
By(T)e...         / More Info?  http://www.peter.froehlich.com/ \
         Peter... \ Please remove ".spamblock" before replying! /

Sat, 20 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Oberon-2 & Component Pascal
As I understood it is a standard O2 where SIZE(INTEGER)=4.
You can call O2 from CP and vice versa.

Quote:

>Hi there!

>> Oberon Inc is shipping Oberon-2 with the new release of Black Box. It is
>> great thing.
>>[...]
>> O2 for BB is a good
>> thing, it will allow Oberon Inc to make even more radical changes in CP
and
>> still stay within O community.

>   I agree, this is definitely a good development. Is the O2 "standard
>compliant" without ANY extensions? Or can you "gradually" step it up to
>CP? Now *that* would be nice... :-)

>--
>By(T)e...         / More Info?  http://www.peter.froehlich.com/ \
>         Peter... \ Please remove ".spamblock" before replying! /

Sat, 20 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Oberon-2 & Component Pascal
Experiences with the BB-O2 compiler:

Data sizes are different (that was not specified in the O2
report).

BYTE is available as standard type (SHORTINT, 1 byte)
which might cause difficulties since it is different from
Oberon's System.BYTE.

the string extensions are available:

i.e.

If    s   is defined as ARRAY 100 OF CHAR
and   s := "Test";

then  s$  is the null terminated string of length 5

string concatenation with s$ + s$ is possible.

IN and OUT qualifiers instead of VAR parameters are accepted,
but modification of an IN parameter is flagged at compile time.

--
    Bernhard Treutwein             Tel. +49-89-5996-642, Fax -615
    Institut f. Med. Psychologie  Ludwig-Maximilians-Universitaet

    --------------------------------  ---------------------------
    C is its own virus

Mon, 22 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. 100+ links about Oberon-2 / Component Pascal

2. ANN : New version of Oberon Expert system (Component Pascal)

3. Modula-2 to Oberon / Component Pascal Translator

4. BlackBox / Component Pascal - Compound Components

5. Component Pascal for VS.NET and Windows Forms apps

6. Gardens-Point Component-Pascal, any experiences?

7. How to store in Component Pascal?

8. Component Pascal, pointer to array element?

9. Component Pascal users' group in Ottawa, Ontario

10. Open source Component Pascal compiler for JVM and .NET

11. Garden Point Component Pascal IMPORT

12. Garden Points Component Pascal