Oberon-2 Slim Binary(tm) Decompiler Available!
Author Message
 Oberon-2 Slim Binary(tm) Decompiler Available!

Hey folks,

Quite some time ago, I wanted to learn the layout of the Slim Binary(tm) file
format and decided that the best way to do this is to reverse-engineer it
(there is no spec for it, you see).  The result of this effort is a Slim Binary
decompiler, SB1D, a C++ application that takes in an .Obj file and spits out
Oberon-2 source code.  If the .Obj file is a Slim Binary, SB1D decompiles
everything.  If it is a native (Win32 x86, MacOS PowerPC, MacOS 68k, etc.)
binary, SB1D decompiles the symbol table only.

You can find all the goodies at:

  http://www.*-*-*.com/

At this time, the goodies consist of C++ source code for the app as well as a
pre-built Win32 executable, SB1D.EXE.

You may find this app useful if you have ever compiled something into Slim
Binaries and then misplaced your sources. :)  Also, you may use the sources in
an attempt to understand the structure of a Slim Binary(tm) file.

Happy hacking!

Zem Laski
UC Irvine

Mon, 11 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Oberon-2 Slim Binary(tm) Decompiler Available!
Hello Zem,

That's a very interesting product!  Would you be willing to discuss
what you've learned about the Slim Binary format?  And are you
(or anyone else) working on a formal document of such?

Also how is the research on Slim Binaries going at UCI?  Is anybody
working on/considering ports to other architectures?  What about
optimizing Slim Binary code?

Quote:
> Hey folks,

> Quite some time ago, I wanted to learn the layout of the Slim Binary
(tm) file
> format and decided that the best way to do this is to reverse-
engineer it
> (there is no spec for it, you see).  The result of this effort is a
Slim Binary
> decompiler, SB1D, a C++ application that takes in an .Obj file and
spits out
> Oberon-2 source code.  If the .Obj file is a Slim Binary, SB1D
decompiles
> everything.  If it is a native (Win32 x86, MacOS PowerPC, MacOS 68k,
etc.)
> binary, SB1D decompiles the symbol table only.

> You can find all the goodies at:

>   http://caesar.ics.uci.edu/laski/SlimBinaryDecoder.html

> At this time, the goodies consist of C++ source code for the app as
well as a
> pre-built Win32 executable, SB1D.EXE.

> You may find this app useful if you have ever compiled something into
Slim
> Binaries and then misplaced your sources. :)  Also, you may use the
sources in
> an attempt to understand the structure of a Slim Binary(tm) file.

> Happy hacking!

> Zem Laski
> UC Irvine

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 18 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Oberon-2 Slim Binary(tm) Decompiler Available!

Quote:

> That's a very interesting product!  Would you be willing to discuss
> what you've learned about the Slim Binary format?  And are you
> (or anyone else) working on a formal document of such?

Yes, I've learned one important thing about the current Slim Binaries:
Although they are cool idea, the present incarnation is a total hack.  Hence,
it really makes no sense (in my opinion and others') to write up a formal
specification of it -- especially since SB1D is a reverse-engineering effort
and I have no way of knowing if I really encountered *all* the possible
constructs in the Oberon .Obj files I looked at.

Quote:
> Also how is the research on Slim Binaries going at UCI?  Is anybody
> working on/considering ports to other architectures?  What about
> optimizing Slim Binary code?

We have recently begun research into the "next generation" Slim Binary format
which, in addition to being more compact than the present one, will also allow
us to check for well-formedness (and possibly other properties) of programs in
linear time.  The new format is intended to support several languages on
several platforms, and may include things such as optimization hints for the
back-end.  The whole project is still pretty much in its infancy, though.

Regards,

Zem

P.S.  For those of you who have not seen the original posting, here's the URL
for the Slim Binary(tm) decoder again:

  http://caesar.ics.uci.edu/laski/SlimBinaryDecoder.html

Mon, 18 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. slim binaries on native Oberon?

2. Another use of Slim Binaries

3. Uses of SDE and Slim Binaries

4. Slim Binaries...Which processors?

5. Slim binary decoder

6. slim binaries?

7. ANNOUNCE: Oberon/F/B (tm), revision 2.718a

8. Evaluation Copy Available for ClipX(tm) by IntraSys International

9. Common Lisp HyperSpec(TM) now available

10. The Book(tm) is available in Australia

11. Decompiler summer 87 available-shareware

12. Available decompilers for Eiffel