? Black-box what-is/where/how ?
Author Message
 ? Black-box what-is/where/how ?

    You have to agree with  Philippe Allenbach:
the many versions of Oberon is a significant negative  for
this nice OS/language.

Quote:
>BlackBox is platform independent,

 Now this sounds, what one needs ! After you have been
programming for some decades, you loose your youthfull
enthusiasm when you have to 'upgrade' to new languages
& OS's with no real improvement.  Java seems to be solving this
problem, but it's syntax will not be acceptable for us that came
from the Algol/Pascal school ?  What happened to the P.system
that was strong in the early days of Pascal. Writings on Java
never acknowledge it.

   Please give more info about BlackBox - or a URL.

Thanks, Chris.

PS.
Faster => you save time (your most valuable posession).
Saving *BIG* time means being able to reuse much of the work
you did for that 'job' 7 years ago.  Hence C's popularity: it is the
'fastest' OS/lang. , by being the most portable across OS/platform.

Tue, 25 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ? Black-box what-is/where/how ?

Quote:

>     You have to agree with  Philippe Allenbach:
> the many versions of Oberon is a significant negative  for
> this nice OS/language.
>>BlackBox is platform independent,
>  Now this sounds, what one needs !

Sorry to add a grain of salt to your enthusiasm: BlackBox is *NOT* platform
independent. It does allow you to port between Windows and Mac, and that's
all. It does not cover Unices, VMS, not to mention Atari or Amiga.

With a recent addition of HP to the System-3 family, System-3 now has
a lead over Linz as far as portability goes. But the most portable
of all Oberon Systems is still the old and proven ETH V4. As far as
standalone compilers go, OOC is reportedly very portable. It now has
its own GUI (Visual Oberon) in early stages of development. It remains
to be seen whether or not Visual Oberon evolves towards a comprehensive IDE.
If it does then OOC will become a very serious contender also in the IDE
competition.

There are other systems like the XTech line of compilers which cover
more platforms than BlackBox does. Having all that in mind I cannot
agree that BlackBox is platform independent. On the contrary, to me its
portability seems to be a bit overadvertised.

Quote:
>    Please give more info about BlackBox - or a URL.

  The best URL of all is Guy's Oberon reference site. It gives you a
compilation of all available Oberon systems/compilers. From there you
can hop to other sites and evaluate you choices.

      http://www.math.tau.ac.il/~laden/Ob-pkgs.html

Quote:
>  Hence C's popularity: it is the
> 'fastest' OS/lang. , by being the most portable across OS/platform.

A few days ago Doug posted an example of a C header file, which
demonstrates how C achieves its portability through zilions of #ifdef
directives. If this is what you mean by "portable", then thank goodness
Oberon is different.

Wojtek

--

Nuclear Structure Research Lab, Univ. of Rochester
271 East River Rd, Rochester, NY 14627.

Tue, 25 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Andersen's Business Black Boxes

2. 3D plot graph is just showing a black box

3. Black Box - Write a data structure to file ??

4. ? Black-box what-is/where/how ?

5. Wrapping controls: Black Box/ Component Pascal/ OberonF

6. Black Boxes

7. Black box framework in IncrTcl?

8. auto black box testing of tk app

9. MS-Windows black-box test scripting?

10. MS-Windows black-box testing using TCL scripts

11. Fortran Powerstation Quickwin graphics - black on black

12. Black mouse on black canvas