Difference between System 3 and V 
Author Message
 Difference between System 3 and V

I'am a new reader of this group and have some questions
about the Oberon System and the language Oberon.

Can anybody tell me where I can find information about the
difference between Oberon System 3 and Oberon V.

Is it possible to use object code from System 3 with Oberon V ?

As I'am a beginner, with which System should I start on a Macintosh
platform ?

Is the compiler which comes with MacOberon (System 3 and V)
a Oberon-2 compiler,or is it necessary to use the Oberon-2 compiler
with this Systems ?

Thanks in advance for your help



Sat, 31 May 1997 00:57:09 GMT  
 Difference between System 3 and V


Quote:
>I'am a new reader of this group and have some questions
>about the Oberon System and the language Oberon.

>Can anybody tell me where I can find information about the
>difference between Oberon System 3 and Oberon V.

Oberon V is the culmination of the research by Robert Griesemer.  His
thesis used to be available on neptune.  Oberon V is (from my understand)
a special version of the Oberon language specifically targeted to the
Cray computer.  I am unaware if it has an OS around it or not.

System 3 is an ongoing project which adds graphical gadgets and such to
the Oberon system.  It is not related to the Oberon V work on any level
currently known outside ETH.

Quote:

>Is it possible to use object code from System 3 with Oberon V ?

No.  System 3 does not exist on a Cray.  Oberon V has not been publicly
released outside of ETH.

Quote:

>As I'am a beginner, with which System should I start on a Macintosh
>platform ?

V4 is much more well documented (i.e. published books) than Gadgets.  
If you really want to be WOWed, then check out Gadgets.

It also depends on your application suite -- if you want to do some
things and get text output, then V4 will probably be easier and quicker.

If you want to make user interfaces and experiment with embedded objects,
then System 3 might be the better starting place.

I, personally, don't think they are mutually exclusive systems -- so
choosing one does not mean you should ignore the other.

Quote:
>Is the compiler which comes with MacOberon (System 3 and V)
>a Oberon-2 compiler,or is it necessary to use the Oberon-2 compiler
>with this Systems ?

It seems that the Mac compiler is still an Oberon(-1) compiler.  An
Oberon-2 compiler has been promised recently in this newsgroup.

Taylor Hutt, that mindless lemming guy
Will Oberon V4 be on a Cray before it's on an Alpha?



Fri, 06 Jun 1997 10:19:45 GMT  
 Difference between System 3 and V

Quote:

> Taylor Hutt, that mindless lemming guy
> Will Oberon V4 be on a Cray before it's on an Alpha?

Sigh...

W.



Fri, 06 Jun 1997 12:06:19 GMT  
 
 [ 3 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. 68K vs CFM68K vs Tk 8.0.3 vs AppearanceLib vs System 7

2. Difference between a type system and a type constraint system

3. Difference between a type system and a type constraint system

4. difference gawk vs other awks

5. Difference NewDocument V.S Open?

6. DDE Client differences 0S/2 vs NT

7. DOS vs Windows Rounding Differences

8. 16 bit Vs 32 bit difference?

9. LV5 serial write.vi vs hyperterminal difference?

10. Struct :symbol vs 'string' difference

11. Script Node: vrmlscript vs javascript - any differences ?

12. AMD486 vs I486 any differences?

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software