1024 Cylinder Restriction in ETH Native ?
Author Message
 1024 Cylinder Restriction in ETH Native ?

Hello,

some months ago I have installed ETH PC-Native Oberon System 3 Release
2.3.0.
With some help of Pieter Muller this was easy.

I have installed Native Oberon at the beginning of  the second
EIDE-Harddisk, and
I boot it using the NT-Bootmanager. All works fine.

Now I heard, that Linux for Intel-based PCs have a restriction about the
boot-partition.
The Linux boot-partition have to be on the first 1024 Cylinders of one
of the two
EIDE-Harddisks. They told, that this is a BIOS-Problem: While booting,
Harddisk access
is done by BIOS, and BIOS can access only the first 1024 Cylinders of an
EIDE Harddisk.

Is there the same restriction for ETH PC-Native Oberon Boot-Partitions?
I have read nothing about this in the installation documents.

Best regards

  Stefan Salewski

Wed, 10 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 1024 Cylinder Restriction in ETH Native ?

Quote:
> Now I heard, that Linux for Intel-based PCs have a restriction about the boot-partition.
> The Linux boot-partition have to be on the first 1024 Cylinders of one of the two
> EIDE-Harddisks. They told, that this is a BIOS-Problem: While booting, Harddisk access
> is done by BIOS, and BIOS can access only the first 1024 Cylinders of an EIDE Harddisk.

> Is there the same restriction for ETH PC-Native Oberon Boot-Partitions?
> I have read nothing about this in the installation documents.

Yes, the same restriction exists, because the boot loader uses the BIOS
to load the inner core of the system.  The Install program will warn you
if this limit is exceeded.

In the meantime an extended BIOS specification has appeared, which allows
reading larger disks.  I suspect newer PCs support this extended specification.
However, the boot loader will have to be adapted to handle this.  Volunteers?

-- Pieter

P.S. Things like this are better discussed on the Native Oberon mailing list.
See the home page (URL below) for information on subscribing.

--
Pieter Muller, Institute for Computer Systems, ETH Zurich
Native Oberon OS: http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/native/

Fri, 12 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. how to access hard drive with more than 1024 cylinder

2. Problem with ETH Native Oberon System 3

3. New ETH Native Oberon home page

4. ANNOUNCE: ETH Native Oberon for PC available for testing

5. ETH Oberon Native font sizes

6. Q: HDD > 1024 cylinders?

7. Message: awk: cannot have more than 1024 fields.

8. problem with strings bigger than 1024 chars...

9. RSA 1024 Bit Encryption Script

10. Display setting 1024 x 768

11. Let the Righteous Rooster reign: CHICKEN, build 1024

12. structural FFT 1024 points