Documentation Pricing
Author Message
 Documentation Pricing

Yup, after some weeks, the 'Oberon-Bible' (Project Oberon, design...)
was back again on the shelves in the Bookshop of the ETH. And I got a
glanc on the Price, just to know if it would be suitable for me..

100 Swiss Francs (~150 US$) for this book.
This is a rip-off, I am student and this is the only available
documentation on the Oberon-System.
I guess, they should release a paperback, pretty soon, if someone want's
to establish this System anywhere in the educational sector.

- daniel
--

DECnet              : EZINFO::CLUESCH

Fri, 03 Nov 1995 21:49:48 GMT
 Documentation Pricing

Quote:

>Yup, after some weeks, the 'Oberon-Bible' (Project Oberon, design...)
>was back again on the shelves in the Bookshop of the ETH. And I got a
>glanc on the Price, just to know if it would be suitable for me..

>100 Swiss Francs (~150 US$) for this book.
>This is a rip-off, I am student and this is the only available
>documentation on the Oberon-System.
>I guess, they should release a paperback, pretty soon, if someone want's
>to establish this System anywhere in the educational sector.

>- daniel

No need to use rude language in this news-group.
Firstly, Project Oberon was never intended to be a documentation for the Oberon
System. 'The Oberon System' by M. Reiser (~65 Francs = 45 US$) serves that
purpose.
Secondly, when will you buy my Swiss Francs and give me your dollars? ;-)
Never heard of such a good price!!!
Thirdly, neither Wirth nor Gutknecht are very happy with the high-price
policy of Addison-Wesley. But that's a different story.... :-/

Cheers,
        Stefan

Sat, 04 Nov 1995 00:21:22 GMT
 Documentation Pricing

Quote:

>  >Yup, after some weeks, the 'Oberon-Bible' (Project Oberon, design...)
>  >was back again on the shelves in the Bookshop of the ETH. And I got a
>  >glanc on the Price, just to know if it would be suitable for me..

>  >100 Swiss Francs (~150 US$) for this book.
>  >This is a rip-off, I am student and this is the only available
>  >documentation on the Oberon-System.
>  >I guess, they should release a paperback, pretty soon, if someone want's
>  >to establish this System anywhere in the educational sector.

>  >- daniel

>  No need to use rude language in this news-group.
>  Firstly, Project Oberon was never intended to be a documentation for the Oberon
>  System. 'The Oberon System' by M. Reiser (~65 Francs = 45 US$) serves that
>  purpose.
>  Secondly, when will you buy my Swiss Francs and give me your dollars? ;-)
>  Never heard of such a good price!!!
>  Thirdly, neither Wirth nor Gutknecht are very happy with the high-price
>  policy of Addison-Wesley. But that's a different story.... :-/

>  Cheers,
>       Stefan

I bought my copy of "Project Oberon" in Sydney, Australia for $44.95
I think.  Australian dollars roughly translate on a 1-1 basis for
Swiss Francs (I think so...) and so how can the price disparity be
explained?  Either the Swiss price is vastly inflated or I got an
incredible bargain :-) :-)

Strange also that the book should be more expensive in real terms in
Switzerland (close to home) than Australia.  It was on order for
about 7 months before it came in, so maybe they felt guilty over
here.

Cheers,

Andrew McVeigh

--
*****

Andrew McVeigh

Sat, 04 Nov 1995 18:43:42 GMT
 Documentation Pricing

: >Yup, after some weeks, the 'Oberon-Bible' (Project Oberon, design...)

  [my stuff deleted..]

:
: No need to use rude language in this news-group.

Thank you papa, but probabely you realized, that I was really pissed of,
when I wrote that.

: Firstly, Project Oberon was never intended to be a documentation for the Oberon
: System. 'The Oberon System' by M. Reiser (~65 Francs = 45 US$) serves that
: purpose.

Hm, but it IS the only Documentation, that realy describes the System
with all its features, so it doesn't help me, if it wasn't intended to
be one.

: Secondly, when will you buy my Swiss Francs and give me your dollars? ;-)
: Never heard of such a good price!!!

You are the 4th who got that error, congrats !

: Thirdly, neither Wirth nor Gutknecht are very happy with the high-price
: policy of Addison-Wesley. But that's a different story.... :-/

It is very unpleasant for a student at the 'cradle' of Oberon to hear,
that people ALL over the world will get the Documentation cheaper than
we do, think about it.
We have to work with the Oberon-System, if we like it or not !!

:
: Cheers,
:       Stefan
:
:

- daniel
--

DECnet              : EZINFO::CLUESCH

Sat, 04 Nov 1995 18:19:08 GMT
 Documentation Pricing

Quote:

> Yup, after some weeks, the 'Oberon-Bible' (Project Oberon, design...)
> was back again on the shelves in the Bookshop of the ETH. And I got a
> glanc on the Price, just to know if it would be suitable for me..

> 100 Swiss Francs (~150 US$) for this book.

Sorry, but it is ~70 US$ (otherwise I would be in vacation in the states).
I agree, this is not a bargain. But you can get documentation for free
via ftp from neptune.inf.ethz.ch (directories /Oberon/Docu /Oberon/Sources)
including the sources published in Project Oberon, Programming in Oberon etc.

Department of Mathematics

Sat, 04 Nov 1995 18:45:45 GMT
 Documentation Pricing

Quote:
>No need to use rude language in this news-group.
>Firstly, Project Oberon was never intended to be a documentation for the Oberon
>System. 'The Oberon System' by M. Reiser (~65 Francs = 45 US$) serves that
>purpose.
>Secondly, when will you buy my Swiss Francs and give me your dollars? ;-)
>Never heard of such a good price!!!
>Thirdly, neither Wirth nor Gutknecht are very happy with the high-price
>policy of Addison-Wesley. But that's a different story.... :-/

I just purchased a (hardcover) copy of Project Oberon for $40.50 in a
bookstore in Philadelphia.

--
-----------
"You've got to put down that duckie if you want to play the saxaphone!"

Sun, 05 Nov 1995 21:01:17 GMT

1. Pricing

2. IBM APL2 Prices

3. ToT Proceedings (with postpaid prices)

4. Gas prices gotcha down?

5. Great Prices On Computer Hardware and Operating Systems

6. CD-R's at Good Price

7. CD-R's at Good Prices

8. COGN stock prices

9. APL Pricing Challenge and Promise