Oberon2 compiler for Windows98/ME
Author Message
 Oberon2 compiler for Windows98/ME

I have browsed the newsgroup and have not found exactly what I am looking
for.

I have been using POW Oberon on the PC for my thesis. The code I am
developing does not need any graphics, and is similar to patch or Perl or
Spice.
That is, only file IO.

Is there a Oberon2 compiler I can use that will run under Windows98/ME/NT OS
and possibly under Unix. I just want to use the Oberon2 compiler to develop
applications. I am particularly interested in some of the extensions
(operator overloading) as much of my work is numerical in nature.

Thank you in advance for any helpful replies

Fri, 07 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Oberon2 compiler for Windows98/ME

Quote:
> I have browsed the newsgroup and have not found exactly what I am looking
> for.

> I have been using POW Oberon on the PC for my thesis. The code I am
> developing does not need any graphics, and is similar to patch or Perl or
> Spice.
> That is, only file IO.

> Is there a Oberon2 compiler I can use that will run under
Windows98/ME/NT OS
> and possibly under Unix. I just want to use the Oberon2 compiler to
develop
> applications. I am particularly interested in some of the extensions
> (operator overloading) as much of my work is numerical in nature.

> Thank you in advance for any helpful replies

I you want to develop Win apps without doing Sisyphus work calling raw
APIs (I mean if you wan a RAD tool), use BlackBox Component Builder
(www.oberon.ch).

Un*x? Let's wait for QUT CP. Also, Bernhard Treutwein reported that BB
worked under WINE.

Anes

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Fri, 07 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Oberon2 compiler for Windows98/ME

Quote:
> I have browsed the newsgroup and have not found exactly what I am
looking
> for.

> I have been using POW Oberon on the PC for my thesis. The code I am
> developing does not need any graphics, and is similar to patch or
Perl or
> Spice.
> That is, only file IO.

> Is there a Oberon2 compiler I can use that will run under
Windows98/ME/NT OS
> and possibly under Unix. I just want to use the Oberon2 compiler to
develop
> applications. I am particularly interested in some of the extensions
> (operator overloading) as much of my work is numerical in nature.

> Thank you in advance for any helpful replies

Well I'm not sure exactly what your looking for.  POW great under
Windows 98 and presumably under Windows ME.  So I guess I'm
wondering why it doesn't already fill your needs?

If operator overloading is really that important to you then POW
certainly does not have that.  The only readily available Oberon
compiler that has operator overloading is the one that comes with
the Native Oberon compiler.  Native Oberon runs standalone, under
Linux, and under DOS, but not under Windows.

--
Guns don't kill people...bullets do.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Fri, 07 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Oberon2 compiler for Windows98/ME

Quote:

> I you want to develop Win apps without doing Sisyphus work calling raw
> APIs (I mean if you wan a RAD tool), use BlackBox Component Builder
> (www.oberon.ch).

Actually POW is better at calling raw Windows API's than is BBCP.
But then I've never understood why anyone would want to program
to the raw Windows API's.  That seems {*filter*}ic to me.

--
Guns don't kill people...bullets do.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Fri, 07 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Oberon2 compiler for Windows98/ME
Thanks all for the replies.

Operator overloading would make the code really easy to implement. I am
doing a lot of complex matrix manipulation that was originally done in
Matlab. The conversion process is leading to the occasional error which are
very hard to debug. sigh!

Anyways, I have been using the OPAL library for POW, and I have just
realized I could switch to another library in POW. I do not want the windows
overhead.
Currently, OPAL opens a window, allows me to select an input file, runs it.
That is ok, but the input file must have quotes around each line. Minor
issue, but the data files I usually get do not have them (quick VI edit
etc). I want to hand this program off to others to use so I want to simplify
the process as much as possible.

Note, POW appears to work well under Windows ME.

Again, thank you all for your help.

Quote:

> > I have browsed the newsgroup and have not found exactly what I am
> looking
> > for.

> > I have been using POW Oberon on the PC for my thesis. The code I am
> > developing does not need any graphics, and is similar to patch or
> Perl or
> > Spice.
> > That is, only file IO.

> > Is there a Oberon2 compiler I can use that will run under
> Windows98/ME/NT OS
> > and possibly under Unix. I just want to use the Oberon2 compiler to
> develop
> > applications. I am particularly interested in some of the extensions
> > (operator overloading) as much of my work is numerical in nature.

> > Thank you in advance for any helpful replies

> Well I'm not sure exactly what your looking for.  POW great under
> Windows 98 and presumably under Windows ME.  So I guess I'm
> wondering why it doesn't already fill your needs?

> If operator overloading is really that important to you then POW
> certainly does not have that.  The only readily available Oberon
> compiler that has operator overloading is the one that comes with
> the Native Oberon compiler.  Native Oberon runs standalone, under
> Linux, and under DOS, but not under Windows.

> --
> Guns don't kill people...bullets do.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Fri, 07 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Oberon2 compiler for Windows98/ME

Quote:

> > I you want to develop Win apps without doing Sisyphus work calling
raw
> > APIs (I mean if you wan a RAD tool), use BlackBox Component Builder
> > (www.oberon.ch).

> Actually POW is better at calling raw Windows API's than is BBCP.
> But then I've never understood why anyone would want to program
> to the raw Windows API's.  That seems {*filter*}ic to me.

> --
> Guns don't kill people...bullets do.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
> Before you buy.

I was typing faster than I was thinking. What I meant is: if you want
to develop apps without need to call raw API calls, ...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 08 Mar 2003 14:42:36 GMT
 Oberon2 compiler for Windows98/ME
As a matter of fact, POW has a feature to enable you (3rd party) to
plug-in your own compiler. However, the docummentation is obscured. I
contacted people at the POW project about that issue, and posted here.
No responses. :-(

From the source code, you can see what you need to do to add your own
editor, but not the compiler. It's a pity. POW could do what VS.NET
promises, but I do not understand why they hid the way of adding a new
plug-in compiler to POW.

Anes

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 08 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Oberon2 compiler for Windows98/ME

Quote:
> Thanks all for the replies.

> Operator overloading would make the code really easy to implement. I
am
> doing a lot of complex matrix manipulation that was originally done in
> Matlab. The conversion process is leading to the occasional error
which are
> very hard to debug. sigh!

Since you are using Windows ME that makes me wonder about using
Lightning Oberon.  Lightning Oberon requires M$'s .NET platform.
Currently .NET requires Windows 2000, but (I'm wild guessing here)
I think M$ will eventually make a ME version of .NET.  Since
the Lightning Oberon compiler seems to have decended from the
Active Oberon compiler I'm wondering if they left in (or are
considering put back in) the operator overloading feature that
comes with the Native Oberon compiler.  Now I'm going past my
knowlege of the Oberon compiler family, but I know that the
Native Oberon compiler has features from Active Oberon and that
the Native Oberon compiler supports operator overloading.  Of
course that doesn't mean that AO or LO support overloading.

Quote:
> Anyways, I have been using the OPAL library for POW, and I have just
> realized I could switch to another library in POW. I do not want the
windows
> overhead.

Ah, you're talking about Opal++.  I'm glad they've (finally) released
the 32 bit version.

Quote:
> Currently, OPAL opens a window, allows me to select an input file,
runs it.
> That is ok, but the input file must have quotes around each line.
Minor
> issue, but the data files I usually get do not have them (quick VI
edit
> etc). I want to hand this program off to others to use so I want to
simplify
> the process as much as possible.

Well that's actually not too hard of a problem to solve.  Could
you post a sample of your data file as well as the POW code that
you are using to access it?  Each Oberon compiler is supposed to
come with a common File module but that is a "gentleman's agreement"
that hasn't been followed too carefully.  :-(

Anyway the following POW code will open a data file, read all of
the lines and write each line to the display.  Note quotes are
required.

MODULE Readfile;

IMPORT Display, File;

PROCEDURE ProgMain*;
VAR
  fp : File.Handle;
  res : INTEGER;
  strData : ARRAY 100 OF CHAR;

BEGIN
  File.Open("mydata.txt", FALSE, File.DENYNONE, File.READONLY, fp, res);
  WHILE ~File.AtEnd(fp) DO;
    File.ReadLn(fp, strData, res);
    Display.WriteStr(strData); Display.WriteLn;
  END;
  REPEAT UNTIL Display.KeyPressed();
END ProgMain;

END Readfile.

--
Guns don't kill people...bullets do.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 08 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Oberon2 compiler for Windows98/ME

Quote:

> Since you are using Windows ME that makes me wonder about using
> Lightning Oberon.  Lightning Oberon requires M$'s .NET platform.
> Currently .NET requires Windows 2000, but (I'm wild guessing here)
> I think M$ will eventually make a ME version of .NET.  Since
> the Lightning Oberon compiler seems to have decended from the
> Active Oberon compiler I'm wondering if they left in (or are
> considering put back in) the operator overloading feature that
> comes with the Native Oberon compiler.  Now I'm going past my
> knowlege of the Oberon compiler family, but I know that the
> Native Oberon compiler has features from Active Oberon and that
> the Native Oberon compiler supports operator overloading.  Of
> course that doesn't mean that AO or LO support overloading.

MS will port .NET to Me, and even 95/98 and NT4, but not so soon.
I see no reason why LO cannot go out of .NET box (like QUT CP). Not so
many people have W2K :-( LO has some good ol' Pascal features like
standard i/o procedures (READ, WRITE, WRITELN), and enumerations (I
guess it's a good educational language).
What I think would be really cool is to make a translator from MS IL to
Oberon or slim binaries. In that way not only LO could run under ObSys,
but also many other languages including C++, C#, COBOL, BASIC, Eiffel, ...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 08 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Oberon2 compiler for Windows98/ME
Hi

I am not sure if I am talking about the OPAL++ library. I don't know what it
is :-)
I just noticed that on creating a project you have options on what type of
library to use OPAL Display and OPAL in/out.

I am assuming that in/out will do what I want. I haven't tried it, as I am
chasing down some problems...

You mention that the code fragment will read from a file but requires quotes
(") around each line, thus each line is a string. Is that the case? If so, I
wonder if the source is part of the runtime library and maybe I can fix it.
The runtime source is distributed with POW and I have already fixed a minor
garbage collection bug.

Thanks for the info

Quote:

> [...]

> you are using to access it?  Each Oberon compiler is supposed to
> come with a common File module but that is a "gentleman's agreement"
> that hasn't been followed too carefully.  :-(

> Anyway the following POW code will open a data file, read all of
> the lines and write each line to the display.  Note quotes are
> required.

> MODULE Readfile;

> IMPORT Display, File;

> PROCEDURE ProgMain*;
> VAR
>   fp : File.Handle;
>   res : INTEGER;
>   strData : ARRAY 100 OF CHAR;

> BEGIN
>   File.Open("mydata.txt", FALSE, File.DENYNONE, File.READONLY, fp, res);
>   WHILE ~File.AtEnd(fp) DO;
>     File.ReadLn(fp, strData, res);
>     Display.WriteStr(strData); Display.WriteLn;

Sat, 08 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Oberon2 compiler for Windows98/ME

Quote:
> Hi

> I am not sure if I am talking about the OPAL++ library. I don't know
what it
> is :-)
> I just noticed that on creating a project you have options on what
type of
> library to use OPAL Display and OPAL in/out.

Correct.  There is also a template called "OPALPP".  The Opal++
library is more object oriented than the Opal library.  Also it's
closer to (but still incompatible with) the document style libraries
that are available in Oberon V4, Sys 3 and BlackBox Component Builder.
I would suggest looking at the sample projects under :

    POW\EXAMPLES\OPALPP

The FreeHand bitmapped graphics editor is a nice sample project.  Note
that it's a LONG way from even being a MS-PAINT replacement, but it's
good for showing what Opal++ can do.

For the stuff that you're trying to do Opal++ sounds like overkill.

Quote:
> I am assuming that in/out will do what I want. I haven't tried it, as
I am
> chasing down some problems...

> You mention that the code fragment will read from a file but requires
quotes
> (") around each line, thus each line is a string. Is that the case?

MAJOR TYPO on my part.  That should have said "quotes are NOT required".
The sample file that I tested this code with was :

1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9

I really should have proofread my post first.  Sorry.

--
Guns don't kill people...bullets do.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 09 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Oberon2 Compiler Like LCC

2. Amiga Oberon2 compiler questions...

3. A Fortran77 compiler for Windows98 is sought

4. modula2 and Oberon2

5. Difference between Ada95 and Oberon2

6. Latest Oberon2 for win98 environment?

7. portability of Oberon2 codes

8. EBNF for Oberon2?

9. Modula2 vs Oberon2

10. lex/yacc files for Oberon2?