NEW RELEASE: Oberon System 3, Release 2.2
Author Message
 NEW RELEASE: Oberon System 3, Release 2.2

Dear Oberon Users

We'd like to announce a new (and final!) release of Oberon System 3. In our
future work we'll concentrate on a new system which will give us the
opportunity to reconsider some design aspects without upsetting users of
Oberon System 3.

In this last version, the following bugfixes (so-called features) and
enhancements have been done:

- Integrated Display.PrintMsg into Display.DisplayMsg.
- Transferred several procedures from Attributes to Strings.
- Added some service procedures to Attributes, Links and Gadgets.
- Introduced a new concept to organize documents on the desktop called Finder,
  which makes Icons obsolete.
- The document framework no longer supports the attribute message Menu. The
  framework now expects a menu object to be returned with the link message.
- The release includes a new list implementation. Lists are now separated into
  views and models. Furthermore, a rider concept is introduced to read from and
  write to list models.
- The old help system based on Books has been replaced by html pages (converted
  from the original books).
- Fixed some old and obsolete commands in various Tools and Panels. Also texts
  included in the release had been brought up to date (Oberon Companion).
- New applications have been added (e.g. Leonardo graphics editor).

For Native Oberon only:
- Compiler updated (inline procedures, forward references allowed)
- Added new drivers:
    S3Trio64, Vesa 2.0 and GD542x display drivers
    NCR 810 SCSI driver
- Disk caching improved
- SLIP networking added
- Simplified configuration text

For Windows Oberon only:
- UCI's Juice Authoring Tool is now part of the release.
- For debugging purposes, a simple de{*filter*} tool and an enhanced version of
  the Console module are provided.
- The Oberon System now comes in two variants: a version for Win32s and
  a new version for Windows 95/NT. The latter supports long file-names and
  multi-threading.

For a more detailed list of the changes, see the GadgetsChanges.Text in the new
release.

Because it is the final release, we decided to ship most of the source files.
Some modules sources are not available due to copyright reasons. If someone
would like to have one of this source files, contact the author of the desired
module directly.

List of modules NOT shipped with this release:

    Kernel.Mod, bootloader

        Intel.OMI.Mod Intel.O*.Mod Win.Interchange.Mod
        Decoder.Mod ModuleDecoder.Mod Meta.Mod Examiner0.Mod Examiner.Mod

    Analyzer.Mod

    Regions.Mod Raster.Mod Mappings.Mod Pens.Mod FancyPens.Mod Shapes.Mod
        Segments.Mod Areas.Mod Captions.Mod FigureGadgets.Mod Leonardo.Mod
        LeoStyles.Mod LeoTools.Mod ColorWells.Mod

    CDK.JuiceDevices.Mod CDK.JuiceFiles.Mod CDK.JuiceModules.Mod
    CDK.JuiceApplets.Mod CDK.JuiceDocs.Mod CDK.JuiceMath.Mod CDK.JuiceMathL.Mod
    CDK.JuiceMisc.Mod CDK.JuiceTagEmbed.Mod

The new release can be found on:

  ftp://ftp.inf.ethz.ch/pub/Oberon/System3/Native/ and
  ftp://ftp.inf.ethz.ch/pub/Oberon/System3/Win32s/ and
  ftp://ftp.inf.ethz.ch/pub/Oberon/System3/Win32/

Kind Regards,

System 3 Developer Team at ETH

Zuerich, 18 February 1997

Sat, 07 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 NEW RELEASE: Oberon System 3, Release 2.2

Quote:

> Dear Oberon Users
> We'd like to announce a new (and final!) release of Oberon System 3. In our
> future work we'll concentrate on a new system which will give us the
> opportunity to reconsider some design aspects without upsetting users of
> Oberon System 3.

Is this the announcement we've all been waiting for?
Or perhaps it is a prelude to THE BIG ANNOUNCEMENT.

Ooh, I LOVE the sound of "new system" !
Reconsider away, you won't upset me!

Brent

Sun, 08 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 NEW RELEASE: Oberon System 3, Release 2.2

Quote:

> Dear Oberon Users

> We'd like to announce a new (and final!) release of Oberon System 3. In our
> future work we'll concentrate on a new system which will give us the
> opportunity to reconsider some design aspects without upsetting users of
> Oberon System 3.

> [...]

> The new release can be found on:

>   ftp://ftp.inf.ethz.ch/pub/Oberon/System3/Native/ and
>   ftp://ftp.inf.ethz.ch/pub/Oberon/System3/Win32s/ and
>   ftp://ftp.inf.ethz.ch/pub/Oberon/System3/Win32/

> Kind Regards,

> System 3 Developer Team at ETH

> Zuerich, 18 February 1997

The new release can also be found at:

   ftp://ftp.ics.uci.edu/pub/oberon/System3/Windows

Kind Regards,

System 3 Developer Team at UCI

Irvine, 19th February 1997

Sun, 08 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 NEW RELEASE: Oberon System 3, Release 2.2

Quote:

>> Zuerich, 18 February 1997

>The new release can also be found at:

>   ftp://ftp.ics.uci.edu/pub/oberon/System3/Windows

wuarchive.wustl.edu:/languages/Oberon is a mirror of ftp.inf.ethz.ch.
This had the release this morning.

--
A prudent parent neither ignores nor disturbs suprisingly quiet children.
1-512-374-0144 (d) \0145 (v) / isdn:Guest / BitSurfr

Mon, 09 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 NEW RELEASE: Oberon System 3, Release 2.2

Quote:

>> We'd like to announce a new (and final!) release of Oberon System 3. In our
>> future work we'll concentrate on a new system which will give us the
>> opportunity to reconsider some design aspects without upsetting users of
>> Oberon System 3.

>The new release can also be found at:

>   ftp://ftp.ics.uci.edu/pub/oberon/System3/Windows

Thanks guys for keeping us up-to-date.

Will there also be a (Power)Macintosh version of this release?

Is this the famous announcement that was mentioned 4 months ago? I realise
you are not ready yet to make any detailed further announcement, but could
you confirm/deny that the new design (under consideration) will be built
on top of any existing underlying windowing system instead of or next to
implementing its own? Something like NeXTStep/Mach vs. OpenStep for NT? A
simple YES/NO will suffice ;-) It would help me make some urgently needed
decisions. Thanks again and keep up the good work!

Luc Dubois
Syndetics Research

Tue, 10 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. NEW RELEASE: Oberon System 3, Release 2.2

2. New release of Linz Oberon V4 Release 2.2

3. Linux Oberon System 3 Release 2.2 for X Windows

4. CLARIFICATION: Oberon System 3, Release 2.2

5. RELEASED Python 2.2 release candidate 1 is out!

6. RELEASED Python 2.2 release candidate 1 is out!

7. NEW RELEASE: Linz Oberon V4, Release 2.1

8. 'abck' 2.2 Intrusion Reporting System Released

9. New Oberon System 3 Release 2.1

10. New Oberon System 3 Release 2.1 - September 4.

11. New release of Oberon System

12. New freeware Oberon System release