Creating Stand Alone Applications With Oberon-2
Author Message
 Creating Stand Alone Applications With Oberon-2

I recently read a book on Oberon-2 and I am interested in trying
to create some Mac and Windows applications using it.  Are any
free version of Oberon-2 that can be used to create stand alone excutables
on either the Mac or Windows platform?

I download the Mac version of Oberon/F and have not found away to do this.
Does the "System 3" version for the Mac create applications?

Thanks for any help,

Chris
--
-------------------------------------
Christopher Ramos

Mobile Computing and PDA Software
Development and Consulting Services
--------------------------------------

Mon, 17 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Creating Stand Alone Applications With Oberon-2

Quote:

>I recently read a book on Oberon-2 and I am interested in trying
>to create some Mac and Windows applications using it.  Are any
>free version of Oberon-2 that can be used to create stand alone excutables
>on either the Mac or Windows platform?

>I download the Mac version of Oberon/F and have not found away to do this.
>Does the "System 3" version for the Mac create applications?

No. To create standalone applications for the Mac you will have to get the
Oberon/F linker package (which, I believe is shipped with the professional
version).   The same can be done under Windows.

There are a few standalone compilers for the PC, but I don't think any of
them generate native Windows executables -- I think they are DOS executables.
ModulaWare sells a standalone kit that comes with a DOS extender and also
compiles Modula-2 programs.  Garden's Point (from Austraaaaalia) also has
a standalone compiler.  You should be able to get both addresses from the
FAQ.

Taylor Hutt
A 100MHz Pen(tm) will allow you to crash 5 times faster than ever before.

Mon, 17 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Creating Stand Alone Applications With Oberon-2

Quote:
>>I recently read a book on Oberon-2 and I am interested in trying
>>to create some Mac and Windows applications using it.
>>There are a few standalone compilers for the PC, but I don't think any of
>them generate native Windows executables -- I think they are DOS executables.
>ModulaWare sells a standalone kit that comes with a DOS extender and also
>compiles Modula-2 programs.  Garden's Point (from Austraaaaalia) also has
>a standalone compiler.  You should be able to get both addresses from the
>FAQ.

Well, actually there is one framework that allows easy and quick programming using ob2unber
Windows. It is called Amadeus3. All informatiosn about it should be sent to the creator of the

can mail me.

Tue, 18 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Creating Stand Alone Applications With Oberon-2

|> I recently read a book on Oberon-2 and I am interested in trying
|> to create some Mac and Windows applications using it.  Are any
|> free version of Oberon-2 that can be used to create stand alone excutables
|> on either the Mac or Windows platform?
|>
|> I download the Mac version of Oberon/F and have not found away to do this.
|> Does the "System 3" version for the Mac create applications?

Yes and no. System3 generates applications which can run on Macs, but these
apps have the typical oberon interface and not an Mac-GUI.
Fortunately, there is a MPW-based oberon2-compiler system including the usual
libs, called mpw-oberon. Thus, you can create apps with multiple languages and
many more of the fine things you are able to do with MPW.

You can find this tool, developed by Juergen Gesswein from the University of Ulm,
Germany, on almost every info-mac mirror under
ftp://.../info-mac/mpw-oberon.hqx

At the end of this posting, there is a short description of mpw-oberon by J.
Gesswein himself.

Hope that helps
Thorsten

|> Thanks for any help,

It's my pleasure.

####  mpw-oberon.hqx   ****

Date: Tue, 27 Dec 1994 12:04:28 +0100

Subject: MPW Oberon; a compiler

The following information refers to my submission MPWOberon.sit.hqx. Please
put it into the Development folder. Please contact me, if the file was
corrupted.

MPW Oberon is a compiler for the Oberon language. The Oberon language was
developed by N. Wirth at the ETH Z|rich. The compiler is based on the one
described in the book "Project Oberon" by N. Wirth and J. Gutknecht
(Addison-Wesley).  MPW Oberon fully supports the Oberon-2 language which is
a superset of Oberon.

MPW Oberon is a stand-alone Oberon for the Macintosh Programmer's Workshop.
Use the Oberon language to develop standard Macintosh applications and code
resources. MPW Oberon integrates nicely into the MPW environment, so you
may use all your standard development tools. MPW Oberon is able to use
external procedures and variables, so mixed-language development is
possible.

The compiler generates code for the MC68020 and better. For floating-point
arithmetic either the MC6881 or the SANE may be used. The compiler is a
single-pass, recursive descent compiler working without an intermediate
representation.

MPW Oberon supports symbolic debugging with SADE. You may use SADE,
SourceBug or any compatible de{*filter*} to check your program. You may also
embed symbols into the object code for the use of Macsbug.

Note that MPW Oberon is stable but still under development. Feel free to
send us your comments. If you find an error, please let us know. We will
try to fix that. Send your comments or bug reports to the following
address:

This package contains the Oberon compiler, interfaces for the Macintosh
toolbox and the Oberon libraries, sample programs, benchmarks, and a
reference manual. The manual is provided in postscript form. It uses the
fonts Palatino and Courier that should be available on every decent
printer. Note the some sections of the manual are not completed.

Tue, 18 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Creating Stand Alone Applications With Oberon-2
Quote:

>>I recently read a book on Oberon-2 and I am interested in trying
>>to create some Mac and Windows applications using it.  Are any
>>free version of Oberon-2 that can be used to create stand alone excutables
>>on either the Mac or Windows platform?

>>I download the Mac version of Oberon/F and have not found away to do this.
>>Does the "System 3" version for the Mac create applications?

> No. To create standalone applications for the Mac you will have to get the
> Oberon/F linker package (which, I believe is shipped with the professional
> version).   The same can be done under Windows.

> There are a few standalone compilers for the PC, but I don't think any of
> them generate native Windows executables -- I think they are DOS executables.
> ModulaWare sells a standalone kit that comes with a DOS extender and also
> compiles Modula-2 programs.  Garden's Point (from Austraaaaalia) also has
> a standalone compiler.  You should be able to get both addresses from the
> FAQ.

> Taylor Hutt
> A 100MHz Pen(tm) will allow you to crash 5 times faster than ever before.

Mac Oberon by M.Franz also features a linker, which allows to generate
standalone Mac applications. I newer used it, just read in MacOberon docs.

You can download MacOberon fro ftp.inf.ethz.ch, pub/Oberon/... ....MacIntosh,
I think is the directory.

Wojtek

Tue, 18 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Creating Stand Alone Applications With Oberon-2

Quote:

> Mac Oberon by M.Franz also features a linker, which allows to generate
> standalone Mac applications. I newer used it, just read in MacOberon docs.

> You can download MacOberon fro ftp.inf.ethz.ch, pub/Oberon/... ....MacIntosh,
> I think is the directory.

 I was waiting to see if anyone was going to suggest this. It seems
that no one uses or has ever used the MacOberon interface for
creating standalone programs! There are a few problems however. When
you link, you do get a small "shell" of Oberon code inwhich the
application does execute. However, having this shell does have its
advantages ... for example you can use Oberon garbage
collection/memory management rather than Apples if you wish. The
details of how to accomplish this are in the included documentation.
The other bigger problem is the fact that the release does not have
all the toolbox routines. There has always been a promise to deliver
more but it never came. I imagine that no one is/was using MacOberon
(at least for standalone apps) so no one ever complained and
consequently nothing more ever got generated. Oh yes, there is an
example program of using MacOberon with the toolbox and linker and
this along with the included doc should get you on your way. Compile
and link the example and give it a test run. Despite a little
overhead in the Oberon "shell" it is remarkably responsive.
  I was thinking that perhaps no one suggested MacOberon because of
the above problems I mentioned. Perhaps it is because other platforms
have been given so much attention. Perhaps no one is really using
MacOberon at all! Its a shame, I still like it over the Oberon/F
version on the Mac. As someone in a different thread once commented
(roughly ... my translation) shoe-horning a "familiar" GUI on top of
the Oberon environment leaves the resulting interface to Oberon
somewhat awkward.
  Unfortunately I never complained about the lack of the full toolbox
because I never reached a point beyond some "play" programs. However,
the Mac programming feature has been available in MacOberon for
several years now. I'm surprised that there never has been enough
complaining to push for the full toolbox! Of course what happens when
people find out that the full toolbox is not implemented ... they
look for another version of Oberon. Along another thread in c.l.o
perhaps the reason Oberon is not so popular is because all things
that are currently available (tools, apps, etc.) for other
languages/platforms is not immediately available in Oberon. If this
is the case, no new language will have a chance anymore!

  Alex M. Waller               |  Internet address:

  M.S. 360                     |
  P.O. Box 500                 |
  Batavia, Il 60510            |

Tue, 18 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Creating Stand Alone Applications With Oberon-2

Quote:

>> Mac Oberon by M.Franz also features a linker, which allows to generate
>> standalone Mac applications. I newer used it, just read in MacOberon docs.

I have used this linker extensively. It works quite well, within its
limitations.

Quote:
> I was waiting to see if anyone was going to suggest this. It seems
>that no one uses or has ever used the MacOberon interface for
>creating standalone programs!

Nope, I do. I've used it to create 32-bit flat mode programs for
the Mac (when for instance Think C 5.0 limits data structures to
64k, MacOberon has no such limitations).  Some of these programs
are commercially sold vertical market applications for the Mac. The
largest one has about 40 source files (all folded up nicely, thanks
to Folds.Compile) and compiles to maybe 300k of code.

I created classes to wrap around windows, buttons, and so forth,
with structures to hold standard handler routines. Then when I
want, for instance, a button, I create a Buttons.Button and
replace the procedure variables with pointers to my own routines.
The whole thing works quite nicely.  I use a recent version of
ResEdit to design the dialog boxes & so forth.

I do miss not having something like a standard text-io package,
so I've written one that works something like the ones in the
Oberon system.

Quote:
> There are a few problems however. When
>you link, you do get a small "shell" of Oberon code inwhich the
>application does execute. However, having this shell does have its
>advantages ... for example you can use Oberon garbage
>collection/memory management rather than Apples if you wish. The

Alternatively, you can not use this shell and just manage memory like
any other standard Mac application.

Quote:
>The other bigger problem is the fact that the release does not have
>all the toolbox routines.

True, but the ones I needed were easy to add.

Quote:
>Despite a little
>overhead in the Oberon "shell" it is remarkably responsive.

Yes, it is. I have at least a few users who thing I wrote the
thing in C++.  :-)

Quote:
>MacOberon at all! Its a shame, I still like it over the Oberon/F
>version on the Mac.

So do I. I've enjoyed getting to use the Oberon environment to write
and mantain code while generating native applications. But it's not
for everyone; for one thing, there's _no_ de{*filter*}.

But it seems to work for what I needed...

-greg

Fri, 21 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. stand alone oberon application

2. How Do You Create Stand Alone Applications?

3. To stand-alone or not to stand-alone

4. Installing Stand Alone Oberon from second floppy

5. Stand-alone Oberon for Intel

6. Creating a stand-alone exec???

7. creating stand-alone versions for easy distribution etc

8. Tkinter: easiest way to create stand-alone dialog?

9. Tclapp in windows: How to wrap a custom interpreter to create a stand-alone executable

10. How to create one stand alone executable??????

11. Creating a stand alone Python Service (win32)

12. Stand alone application with VISA