Port Oberon to Java/JVM
Author Message
 Port Oberon to Java/JVM

Hello!

I wanna use Oberon on platforms like wince or Solaris.
Right now the latest development systems (native PC Oberon)
is not available for other systems.

My question: Why not port Oberon (V4 or S3) to the JVM
 plus Personal Java classes?

If JavaHotspot (TM :)) technology is so good this should be
better than the OMI compilers.

Comments?

        Heiko Wengler

Sun, 14 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Port Oberon to Java/JVM

Quote:

> Hello!

> I wanna use Oberon on platforms like wince or Solaris.
> Right now the latest development systems (native PC Oberon)
> is not available for other systems.

> My question: Why not port Oberon (V4 or S3) to the JVM
>  plus Personal Java classes?

> If JavaHotspot (TM :)) technology is so good this should be
> better than the OMI compilers.

> Comments?

Java is  s l o w   . . .
but then I run Native Oberon under an x86 emulator, so I should just shut up.
I can see no reason why it should not work.  I've read that there is a
compiler for Component Pascal (derived from Oberon-2) that generates Java
bytecode.

--

Sun, 14 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Port Oberon to Java/JVM

Quote:

> > Hello!

> > I wanna use Oberon on platforms like wince or Solaris.
> > Right now the latest development systems (native PC Oberon)
> > is not available for other systems.

> > My question: Why not port Oberon (V4 or S3) to the JVM
> >  plus Personal Java classes?

> > If JavaHotspot (TM :)) technology is so good this should be
> > better than the OMI compilers.

> > Comments?

> Java is  s l o w   . . .
> but then I run Native Oberon under an x86 emulator, so I should just shut up.
> I can see no reason why it should not work.  I've read that there is a
> compiler for Component Pascal (derived from Oberon-2) that generates Java
> bytecode.

There are also two freely available Oberon-to-JVM compilers out
there.  (JOB and Cantebury Oberon.)

I'm not convinced that the Java "Hotspot" technology is "so good".  I think
that the OMI technology is better, but Java does have many more programmers
behind it.

So running an x86 emulator is faster than a just-in-time compiler?  Now that
is truly interesting.

Sun, 14 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Port Oberon to Java/JVM

Quote:

>> > Hello!

>> > I wanna use Oberon on platforms like wince or Solaris.
>> > Right now the latest development systems (native PC Oberon)
>> > is not available for other systems.

>> > My question: Why not port Oberon (V4 or S3) to the JVM
>> >  plus Personal Java classes?

>> > If JavaHotspot (TM :)) technology is so good this should be
>> > better than the OMI compilers.

>> > Comments?

>> Java is  s l o w   . . .
>> but then I run Native Oberon under an x86 emulator, so I should just shut up.
>> I can see no reason why it should not work.  I've read that there is a
>> compiler for Component Pascal (derived from Oberon-2) that generates Java
>> bytecode.

> There are also two freely available Oberon-to-JVM compilers out
> there.  (JOB and Cantebury Oberon.)

> I'm not convinced that the Java "Hotspot" technology is "so good".  I think
> that the OMI technology is better, but Java does have many more programmers
> behind it.

> So running an x86 emulator is faster than a just-in-time compiler?  Now that
> is truly interesting.

No, I'm not suggesting that. In fact I was suggesting that the opposite is
likely true, however, I haven't compared the two, so I don't know.  A modern
x86 emulator, like VirtualPC, does a great deal of just-in-time compilation
behind the scenes.

I can make the following comparision though: VirtualPC is using about 32 MB of
ram to simulate a Pentium with 20MB RAM and 4 MB VRAM (the rest of the memory
is largely for caching PowerPC translations of x86 code blocks.)  On the other
hand, I've seen the javac compiler gobble 20 MB RAM, and that's just to
compile code, nothing else.

--

Sun, 14 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Port Oberon to Java/JVM

Quote:

> Hello!

> I wanna use Oberon on platforms like wince or Solaris.
> Right now the latest development systems (native PC Oberon)
> is not available for other systems.

> My question: Why not port Oberon (V4 or S3) to the JVM
>  plus Personal Java classes?

> If JavaHotspot (TM :)) technology is so good this should be
> better than the OMI compilers.

> Comments?

>         Heiko Wengler

For some comments, see
Thomas Kistler and Michael Franz. "A Tree-Based Alternative to Java
Byte-Codes". In International Journal of Parallel Programming,
27(1):21-34, February 1999.
<http://caesar.ics.uci.edu/kistler/papers/ics-tr-96-58.pdf>.

--

Mon, 15 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Canterbury Oberon-2 for JVM beta-release

2. Canterbury Oberon-2 for JVM final release

3. Oberon to JVM

4. Oberon-2 for JVM?

5. FORTH port to JVM

6. Dylan to Java/JVM compiler?

7. SmallEiffel, jvm, and java methods with no result?

8. wanted: Ada binding for Java Swing to target JVM

9. patch to Modules/posixmodule.c for Java JVM compatibility

10. Dylan to Java/JVM compiler?

11. Tk port to Java, speed of Java?

12. Parallel port under Oberon System