Oberon/F Announcement
Author Message
 Oberon/F Announcement

Subject: Oberon/F Announcement

Oberon/F: Introducing a New Oberon System

Oberon microsystems, Inc., Switzerland, announces a new Oberon system called
Oberon/F. Oberon/F is available in versions for Windows 3.1/NT 3.1 and for
Mac OS 7. Oberon/F applications can be ported from one platform to the other
simply by recompiling them, i.e. the application programming interface (API) is
identical and platform-independent. However, the correct native look-and-feel
is provided on each platform. Unlike the ETH Oberon systems, Oberon/F has no
proprietary user interface. The design of Oberon/F has been strongly influenced
by the experience with earlier Oberon systems like ETH Oberon V3, V4, and
Ethos, nevertheless it is a new design not directly compatible to any of its
predecessors. It is fully based on the language Oberon-2.
An extensible text editor is part of the standard distribution of Oberon/F, as
is a forms editor and an integrated development environment.

Documentation is available both in printed form and on-line. All software and
documentation is in English.

Oberon/F supports a compound document architecture which provides a seamless
migration path towards OLE and OpenDoc; these standards will be supported in a
later release. An Oberon/F object may be embedded in any Oberon/F container,
e.g. texts, forms, documents...

Key features
- integrated Oberon-2 development system
- multiplatform component framework
- native look-and-feel on every platform
- compound document architecture
- texts system with powerful formatting options
- visual designer for forms and dialogs
- building of double-clickable applications supported
- full 32-bit compiler
- generates native code (no interpretation)
- garbage collection
- direct access to host operating system libraries possible

An educational version of Oberon/F will become freely available via anonymous
ftp (starting December 24th) on hades.ethz.ch (129.132.71.5)
 /pub/Oberon/NonETHSystems
The educational version is identical to the standard version except:
- educational header in every window and on every printed page
- linker not provided (the linker is necessary only for stand-alone
  applications)
- must not be used for commercial purposes, except for evaluation

In order to get a printed reference manual, plus some additional printed
documentation, the educational version can also be ordered at the address given
below, as well as the standard version for commercial use.

Requirements
The Macintosh version requires an MC68020 or better, a floating-point unit or
emulator, Mac OS System 7 or higher, and about 5 MB of RAM and disk space.
The Windows version requires Windows 3.1/NT 3.1 or higher, and an i386 or
better. Win32s is supplied as part of the Oberon/F distribution.

Prices
Standard Version             450 Swiss Francs (about 340 US$)
Educational Version       150 Swiss Francs (about 115 US$)
Reference Manual only    90 Swiss Francs (about 70 US$)
Shipping, taxes, and duties not included.

For an order form, please contact

Oberon microsystems, Inc.
Solothurnerstr. 45
CH-4053 Basel
Switzerland
phone   (+41 61) 361 3858
fax     (+41 61) 361 3846

The Parallel Performance Group will be selling Oberon/F as a Value-Added
Retailer to their Internet customers, starting in January. For their prices and
services, contact

Parallel Performance Group, Inc.
450 Jordan Rd., Suite E
Sedona, AZ 86336
USA

Tue, 03 Jun 1997 06:12:59 GMT
 Oberon/F Announcement

: Oberon microsystems, Inc., Switzerland, announces a new Oberon system
: called Oberon/F. Oberon/F is available in versions for Windows 3.1/NT
: 3.1 and for Mac OS 7. Oberon/F applications can be ported from one
: platform to the other simply by recompiling them, i.e. the application
: programming interface (API) is identical and platform-independent.

Are there any plans by Oberon Microsystems or Michael Franz to add OMI
binary support to Oberon/F? If you stick to the common API pledge, there
should be no problems with this (OMI format binaries are portable as long
as the interfaces of the modules they use are identical - for those that
didn't know :).

: However, the correct native look-and-feel is provided on each platform.
: Unlike the ETH Oberon systems, Oberon/F has no proprietary user
: interface. The design of Oberon/F has been strongly influenced by the
: experience with earlier Oberon systems like ETH Oberon V3, V4, and
: Ethos, nevertheless it is a new design not directly compatible to any
: of its predecessors. It is fully based on the language Oberon-2.
: Oberon/F supports a compound document architecture which provides a
: seamless migration path towards OLE and OpenDoc; these standards will
: be supported in a later release. An Oberon/F object may be embedded in
: any Oberon/F container, e.g. texts, forms, documents...

This is beginning to sound like the direction that the "One Oberon
System" thread was taking earlier. Is Oberon Microsystems hoping that
their system API will become the standard? Would they even allow others
to put out Oberons that use the API, perhaps for as yet unsupported
systems (that is, underlying OSs)? This would allow an easier time for
those of us who program for more than one Oberon System.

By the way, is the garbage collector still mark-and-sweep, or have you
adopted a more appropriate method for virtual memory systems like Windows
and MacOS?

I look forward to using the new system a great deal. I might even be able
to stop translating my Oberon code to C++, just because Borland has the
best tools on my machine (C++ needs it :). I've been using Oberon as my
primary language since DOSOberon 1.1. I have no idea how long ago that
was, but it has been years. It is good to see the next step.

Brian Hawley

Sun, 08 Jun 1997 17:54:15 GMT
 Oberon/F Announcement
Have any of the Oberon experts taken a look at ANSI/ISO standard Ada95?
It looks like it may be a good O-O descendant of Pascal now that almost
all O-O features (except multiple inheritance) are added to Ada83.  There
is apparently a GNU Ada compiler for a variety of platforms and OSs
(OS/2, MS-DOS, Solaris, Linux, SunOS, ...) that can be found at
cs.nyu.edu under pub/gnat.

Given all the bandwidth given to Oberon vs F-90 it strikes me that Ada95
looks like a much more interesting alternative - with a lot of backing,
even though from what some might consider dubious sources.

No flames please.  For those not familar with this new possiblity, "listen" in
on comp.lang.ada or look at http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada/  .  Oberon has
been my favorite language for some time, but some of us are on the
lookout for a more strongly backed Pascal descendant with the right
set of characteristics.

Is Ada95 a competitive language for us Oberon-lovers?

National Radio Astronomy Observatory  |                             | \/ o\
P.O. Box O                            | Telephone: 505-835-7273     | /\__/
(1003 Lopezville Road - UPS etc. only)|                             |
Socorro, NM  87801-0387  USA          | FAX:       505-835-7027     | AMDG

Tue, 10 Jun 1997 05:32:17 GMT
 Oberon/F Announcement
        The January 1995 issue of BYTE featured an article on
Oberon/F and said that the free, educational version was
available on Hades.ethz.ch.  I looked this morning but didn't
find it.
        Did I miss it?  Is Oberon/F still on its way?  Did
BYTE make an error?  I'm eager to take a look at this.

Thanks,

Sat, 14 Jun 1997 03:39:39 GMT
 Oberon/F Announcement

Quote:
>         The January 1995 issue of BYTE featured an article on
> Oberon/F and said that the free, educational version was
> available on Hades.ethz.ch.  I looked this morning but didn't
> find it.

They're there...just look in the /incoming directory.  There's
a Windows version and a Mac version.  I've been looking over
the Mac version a bit, and it's certainly impressive looking.
Should be fun to figure out how to make it "go"!

--

Sat, 14 Jun 1997 08:56:44 GMT
 Oberon/F Announcement

Have you tried GNAT like Bob suggested?

    ...  Ada requires things like
   specification of bit-level positions of elements in records, and variable
   resolution of numeric types and so forth, that I imagine would make
   compiler writing a job from Hell. ...

Lest anyone not familiar with Ada draw the wrong conclusion from the
above, Ada doesn't -require- bit level specification, it -allows- it.

Mon, 16 Jun 1997 21:50:04 GMT

1. Oberon-D Announcement

2. Announcement - Oberon/F mailing list

3. Announcement: 1st Oberon Programming Contest

4. ANNOUNCEMENT: Jacob V0, Oberon-2 compiler for Linux

5. Announcement: Oberon/F 1.1 for the Macintosh

6. Announcement: Oberon/F 1.1 for Windows

7. ANNOUNCEMENT: New version of PowerMac Oberon V4

8. Repeat Announcement: Oberon Tutorial at ECOOP'95

9. Announcement: New version of Oberon for OS/2

10. Announcement (Repost): Oberon Track at GI SI 95

11. Announcement: Oberon Track at GISI'95

12. Announcement: Ulm's Oberon System