Coco/R -- correcting someone's possible misstatement
Author Message
 Coco/R -- correcting someone's possible misstatement

Some weeks ago there was a brief discussion about Coco/R and its ability to generate
parsers for large languages.  One person stated that the limits in Coco/R made it
almost unusable for real projects.

I too have run across a limit with the number of terminal symbols that are allowed --
128 -- if you are having Coco/R generate your scanner.  However, if you don't specify
any regular expressions for your tokens, then Coco/R will not generate a scanner (you
have to write one by hand) -- and you can make substantially larger parsers.

If you haven't tried this option, give it a try.  You could also hang out on
comp.compilers, where Pat Terry of SAfrica routinely posts messages about the M2
version of Coco/R (just recently he was asking for input on the system).

Taylor Hutt
If speedometers showed only up to the maximum, you'd have an excuse for speeding.

Fri, 23 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Coco/R -- correcting someone's possible misstatement
: Some weeks ago there was a brief discussion about Coco/R and its ability to
: generate
: parsers for large languages.  One person stated that the limits in Coco/R
: made it
: almost unusable for real projects.

  I made such a comment but I think there was at least one other.

: I too have run across a limit with the number of terminal symbols that are
: allowed --
: 128 -- if you are having Coco/R generate your scanner.  However, if you
: don't specify
: any regular expressions for your tokens, then Coco/R will not generate a
: scanner (you
: have to write one by hand) -- and you can make substantially larger parsers.

  How large is substantially larger?  I need about 3 to 10 times the size
where by size I mean V=N+T, vocabulary is nonterminals plus terminals.

: If you haven't tried this option, give it a try.  You could also hang out on
: comp.compilers, where Pat Terry of SAfrica routinely posts messages about
: the M2
: version of Coco/R (just recently he was asking for input on the system).

  Thanks for the tip.

: Taylor Hutt
: If speedometers showed only up to the maximum, you'd have an excuse for
: speeding.

-Doug Danforth

--
UME Voice, The speech recognition standard for Wall Street.

Fri, 23 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Coco/R -- correcting someone's possible misstatement

Quote:

>Subject: Coco/R -- correcting someone's possible misstatement
>Date: 7 Aug 1995 16:38:11 GMT
>Some weeks ago there was a brief discussion about Coco/R and its ability to generate
>parsers for large languages.  One person stated that the limits in Coco/R made it
>almost unusable for real projects.
>I too have run across a limit with the number of terminal symbols that are allowed --
>128 -- if you are having Coco/R generate your scanner.  However, if you don't specify
>any regular expressions for your tokens, then Coco/R will not generate a scanner (you
>have to write one by hand) -- and you can make substantially larger parsers.
>If you haven't tried this option, give it a try.  You could also hang out on
>comp.compilers, where Pat Terry of SAfrica routinely posts messages about the M2
>version of Coco/R (just recently he was asking for input on the system).

He hangs about here too, sort of!

I have not really tracked the Oberon version lately, but in the Modula
versions the limit on the number of terminals is defined in module CRT.
My limit there is currently 400.

You should be able to get the Oberon sources and re-bootstrap Coco with this
sort of change quite easily, I expect.

As I recall, when I played about with the various CONST declarations in
module CRT I had to tweak them to keep my data segment size below 64K (yes,
I use those silly MS-DOS 16 bit systems)

Mon, 26 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. COCO/P: Looking for COCO Applications

2. Possible error (the correct post)

3. While Block: 'Correct Procedure'

4. While Block: 'Correct Procedure'

5. Possible 'Parse Arg' problem

6. Possible 'catch' bug

7. Possible bug in 'scrolledtext'?

8. RECORDS( MFL:Key0 ) doesn't return correct record number

9. MswLogo 4.0 is finally moved to it's correct home

10. What's the correct writing for this port mapping

11. What's the correct code?

12. Ada 9X Rept to Public - July '92 (corrected)