Register based traps in MacOberon
Author Message
 Register based traps in MacOberon

Hi all,

In the document MakeMacApp.txt supplied with MacOberonLite there is the
following paragraph:-

Quote:
>Most of the memory manager routines and some of the file manager routines
>are register-based. Therefore, you won't be able to use these routines in

a >common way. You have to push your variables into the registers and read
the >results afterwards from the registers. When using the IM just use the

Quote:
>assembly-language information that always follows the description.
>Example :

>    MPW Pascal :                          MacOberon :
>    myPtr:=NewPtr(theSize);     SYSTEM.PUTREG(0,theSize);
>                                                  ME.NewPtr;
>                                                  SYSTEM.GETREG(8,myPtr);

My question is, how can I tell which toolbox routines to do this with and
which do I call as they are listed in spInside Mac?  For a specific
example,  NumToString is defined as

Quote:
>NumToString (theNum:LONGINT;VAR theString:ME.Str255)

in the hypercard stack and

Quote:
>PROCEDURE- NumToString*   042H,067H,0A9H,0EEH;

in Oberon.  Does this mean I have to access the registers in this way to
use it, and if so how do I know which ones?

TIA

Dave Spacey

--
Don't underestimate the abacus......it requires no power, can be made with any materials you have to hand, and never goes bing in the middle of an important piece of work.   (Many thanks to Douglas Adams.)

Sun, 05 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Register based traps in MacOberon

2. Error: Clock skew plus hold time of destination register exceeds register-to-register delay

3. Error: Clock skew plus hold time of destination register exceeds register-to-register delay

4. Initializing Base Register(s) in Multi-entry-point CSECT

5. Communicating with PC Based CArd on Register Level

6. Register based VM

7. How to make a RAM-based registers for 32-TAPS

8. difference between stack / register based architecture?

9. Using FP registers as additional GP registers

10. Status Register/Control Register

11. minimum delay for Register-to-Register path in DC

12. Pairing 2 32Bit registers to make a 64Bit register