DOS 8.3 filenames (how to remove long filenames header)
Author Message
 DOS 8.3 filenames (how to remove long filenames header)

I had downloaded a gzip file that I wrote to c:/ (dos) but I am unable to use it because of a
header containing name of font and more. How to save without this header?
I did used Dos.CopyTo.

Sat, 12 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 DOS 8.3 filenames (how to remove long filenames header)

Quote:

> I had downloaded a gzip file that I wrote to c:/ (dos) but I am unable to use it because of a
> header containing name of font and more. How to save without this header?
> I did used Dos.CopyTo.

You could have a look at Hex.Tool. After Hex.Open ^ you could
try to delete the offending stuff.
OTOH I think the problem came after downloading. If you
want to download binaries by ftp you should use FTP.Tool.
Here also a password is possible.
If you download a binary from a html page you could try
opening HyperDocs.Panel, enter the local name you want,
select the link you want to download and then press the
'Fetch ^' button.
BTW, thanks to you and the others who beta tested PPP.
Also my version control project isn't dead. I just
took some time to think about a new version file format
with less linitations than the original one. And now I
have to update the access functions.

Regards, Edgar
--

*          DOSenfreie Zone.        Running Native Oberon.         *
Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.     Albert Einstein

Sat, 12 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 DOS 8.3 filenames (how to remove long filenames header)

Quote:

> > I had downloaded a gzip file that I wrote to c:/ (dos) but I am unable to use it because of a
> > header containing name of font and more. How to save without this header?
> > I did used Dos.CopyTo.
> You could have a look at Hex.Tool. After Hex.Open ^ you could
> try to delete the offending stuff.
> OTOH I think the problem came after downloading. If you
> want to download binaries by ftp you should use FTP.Tool.
> Here also a password is possible.
> If you download a binary from a html page you could try
> opening HyperDocs.Panel, enter the local name you want,
> select the link you want to download and then press the
> 'Fetch ^' button.

I am pretty sure the problem is when writing to DOS partition.
I think I remember from a very old Oberon, that there was a
character you could put at the beginning (or the end) of a
filename to tell that it is a 8.3 DOS filename, but I can't
remember which.

Quote:
> BTW, thanks to you and the others who beta tested PPP.

I did add a small delay at the beginning of PPPMain.InstPPP ef
2.3.0 because sometimes it was{*filter*} off before exchanging
any packets. Other than that it is working very well.

Sun, 13 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 DOS 8.3 filenames (how to remove long filenames header)

Quote:

> > If you download a binary from a html page you could try
> > opening HyperDocs.Panel, enter the local name you want,
> > select the link you want to download and then press the
> > 'Fetch ^' button.

> I am pretty sure the problem is when writing to DOS partition.

I'm pretty sure that the problem is with the download :-)
I don't remember any problems with e.g.
Dos.Copy oberon.name => c:/oberon.nam ~
What I found tricky ist getting a downloaded jpeg file to
DOS before Oberon converts it to some other format.
I'm using Native 2.3.0 running in a DOS file at the moment.
So, if you have a look at the file with Hex.Open ^ before you
copy it you can see whether it's corrupted by some Oberon stuff
which you shouldn't see in a gzip file.
If the file is different after copying (If you have still a DOS
somewhere you can do a 'debug <file>') then please describe
what system you have, what you did to download and copy to
DOS and send me a mail (or post again) because then I think
you have a interesting problem I would like to solve also.

Regards, Edgar

--

*          DOSenfreie Zone.        Running Native Oberon.         *
Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.     Albert Einstein

Sun, 13 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 DOS 8.3 filenames (how to remove long filenames header)

Quote:
> > I am pretty sure the problem is when writing to DOS partition.
> I'm pretty sure that the problem is with the download :-)

You know, I think too many years of computer programming have
made you very sceptical.

That said, I checked the file with Hex.Tool and the header was there, so
you are right. :-)

Mon, 14 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Windows passes filename in 8.3 format and not in long format to tcl script

2. Long Filenames okay for physical filenames???

3. Library os.path.isfile(filename) - long filenames error.

4. Converting 8.3 filenames to long_filenames.ad?

5. getarg & 8.3 filename

6. BUG/2: .ZIP dist should have 8.3 filenames

7. Long-filenames in DOS

8. Giving Old DOS Code Long-Filename Support for Win 9x/NT...Help

9. How to Specify Variable FileName(!FileName)In Report

10. Using variable filename(!FILENAME)

11. REQUIRES filename (NEEDS filename)

12. Adding PC Filename Extensions to Macintosh Filenames