IMPORT in definition module
Author Message
 IMPORT in definition module

Hi Luc!

Quote:

> When generating the definition module of module Oberon with
> Browser, using the V4.1F version for 680x0 from ETH, the .def
> file lists as imported modules: Viewers, Display, Texts, Fonts,
> Files. Doing the same with the Linz version for PowerMac (Feb96),
> the .def file lists: Viewers, Display, Texts, Fonts only, without
> "Files". The Powermac version of S3 from ETH also includes "Files"
> in the generated .def file.

> None of the Oberon.Mod modules include "Files" in the IMPORT
> statement. Does anybody know or has an intelligent guess as to
> what could be going on here?

   I  can  top  that  one  (although  I'm not happy to announce it)!  Using
"Browser"  to generate a *.Def for Oberon.Mod under Oberon4Amiga yields the
following:

----- CUT -----
DEFINITION Oberon;
  IMPORT Pictures, Texts, Fonts, Viewers, Display;
(* ... *)
  TYPE
    ControlMsg = RECORD (Pictures.FrameMsg)
      id, X, Y: INTEGER;
    END ;
(* ... *)
----- CUT -----

Using "Def" to do the same yields:

----- CUT -----
DEFINITION Oberon;
        IMPORT  Display, Fonts, Viewers, Texts;
(* ... *)
        TYPE
(* ... *)
                ControlMsg = RECORD (Display.FrameMsg)
                        id, X, Y: INTEGER
                END;
(* ... *)
----- CUT -----

Now *that* is strange, considering the original module:

----- CUT -----
(* AMIGA *)
MODULE Oberon; (*JG 6.9.90*)    (* << RC 19.3.93, shml, cn 2.6.94 *)
        IMPORT SYSTEM, Amiga, AmigaDos, Kernel, Modules, Input, Display, Fonts, Viewers, Texts;
(* ... *)
        TYPE
(* ... *)
                ControlMsg* = RECORD (Display.FrameMsg)
                        id*, X*, Y*: INTEGER
                END;
(* ... *)
----- CUT -----

Could  someone  (knowledgable) please explain *that* behaviour, too?  Seems
to me that "Browser" is somehow broken in a number different releases.

Quote:
> I had planned to use the output of Browser to build a
> dependency graph of all modules in a system. I guess this won't
> work then. Anybody any suggestions?

   Building a dependency graph for modules alone is easy.  I've implemented
(or  rather  "hacked up") a make-tool for the Oberon-A stand-alone compiler
using COCO/P (my portable COCO/R implementation) in about one hour.  If you
are interested in the (highly unreadable) source, just e-mail me about it.
                  _

Mon, 11 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 IMPORT in definition module

Quote:

> > I had planned to use the output of Browser to build a
> > dependency graph of all modules in a system. I guess this won't
> > work then. Anybody any suggestions?

>    Building a dependency graph for modules alone is easy.  I've implemented
> (or  rather  "hacked up") a make-tool for the Oberon-A stand-alone compiler
> using COCO/P (my portable COCO/R implementation) in about one hour.  If you
> are interested in the (highly unreadable) source, just e-mail me about it.

Consider to use
ftp://ftp.ssw.uni-linz.ac.at/pub/Oberon/LinzTools/Make.Cod if  you want
to get the order in which you can compile a list of modules. Make
implements a topological sort and is quite short (and readable). The
only drawback is that you have to have the source code of the modules
(which usually is not a problem when you develop programs/systems
because the Oberon System is delivered with sources and you should have
your sources at hand as well).

There are many other (interesting) tools (and technical reports)
available at ftp://ftp.ssw.uni-linz.ac.at

Bye,
        Chris

--
!-------------------------------------------------------------!
! Univ.-Ass. Dipl.-Ing. Christoph Steindl                     !

! www: http://www.ssw.uni-linz.ac.at/Staff/CS.html            !
!-------------------------------------------------------------!

Tue, 12 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 IMPORT in definition module

Quote:

> Your ftp-server is either slow and highly frequented, or off service.
> I cannot reach it, and it is not my fault. Has it moved ?
> Bye,
>         Peter

It is not our ftp-server that is tremendously slow, it is the connection
between Austria and Germany! I have the same troubles when I follow
links to Germany (which are magnitudes slower than links to Switzerland,
the Netherlands, Denmark, and even the United States).
But there is a mirror in Germany:
ftp://statlab.uni-heidelberg.de/pub/mirrors/linz/Oberon

Bye,
        Chris
--
!-------------------------------------------------------------!
! Univ.-Ass. Dipl.-Ing. Christoph Steindl                     !
! Johannes Kepler Universitaet Linz, Institut fuer Informatik !
! Abteilung fuer Systemsoftware (Prof. Moessenboeck)          !

! www: http://www.ssw.uni-linz.ac.at/Staff/CS.html            !
!-------------------------------------------------------------!

Tue, 12 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. IMPORT in definition module

2. Imports in definition and implementation modules

3. module name errors (trying to import curses functions from modules as needed)

4. How to access a module's namespace within the module at import

5. import selected module variables within that module's procedures

6. importing paradox file/table definitions into a cw dictionary

7. Importing ACCESS 97 table definitions

8. Importing big files definition to dct

9. Can't import Foxpro file definition into Dictionary Editor

10. Problems importing ODBC definition from SA SQL server

11. Importing file definitions to CW 1.5 -Reply

12. Importing file definitions to CW 1.5