Help please
Author Message
 Help please

Hello there oberon users,

This is repeat of my previous request, as I managed to leave off my address.
I hope there are some PC Oberon users reading this!

I have installed system3 on my PC and have a couple of questions to ask?

1. How do I change the size of the system font so that it starts up that
way permanently? I have tried system.setfont but this seems to have no effect.

2. How do I change the screen colours? Same as per above.

3. When printing to an HP printer the system becomes unusable - no response
from mouse etc. Is this normal? I have a 486DX and the printer has 4Mb of
memory.

4. When installing the SVGA drivers, using S3.Tool I was unable to rename
files - is this correct behaviour or is it a bug in the system?

Thank you for your time.

Andrew.

Andrew Wenn          Victoria University of Technology
                     Footscray Campus.

                     phone +61 3 688 4342
                     fax   +61 3 688 5024

Andrew Wenn          Victoria University of Technology
                     Footscray Campus.

Tue, 20 Feb 1996 12:00:19 GMT
 Help please

Quote:

>  Hello there oberon users,

>  This is repeat of my previous request, as I managed to leave off my address.
>  I hope there are some PC Oberon users reading this!

>  I have installed system3 on my PC and have a couple of questions to ask?

>  1. How do I change the size of the system font so that it starts up that
>  way permanently? I have tried system.setfont but this seems to have no effect.

I had a similar problem with the SPARC version.  I don't know what the
proper solutions is, but the way that worked for me was simply to copy
a larger point size font file on top of the Syntax10.Scn.Fnt or
whatever.
E.g. on a SPARCII, use
  cp Syntax16.Scn.Fnt Syntax10.Scn.Fnt

I think that with the PC version, you would have to do this within
Oberon due to the PC's stupid filename limitation of 8 chars + 3 extension.

Quote:
>  2. How do I change the screen colours? Same as per above.

There is a tool provided.  I think that it is called ColorSystem.Tool
and it has all the appropriate commands.  I think that with the PC
version you can only change the 0th and 15th colour, although this
may be wrong...

Quote:
>  3. When printing to an HP printer the system becomes unusable - no response
>  from mouse etc. Is this normal? I have a 486DX and the printer has 4Mb of
>  memory.

I think that this is normal...  The Oberon system is a one-task at a
time system, although the existence of static data structures and the
absence of the traditional notion of a program make it look
multitasking when the duration of each of the commands are short.
The mouse pointer on the Ceres-3 (the Oberon workstation developed at
ETH) freezes whenever the disk is accessed etc.

Quote:
>  4. When installing the SVGA drivers, using S3.Tool I was unable to rename
>  files - is this correct behaviour or is it a bug in the system?

No idea...

Quote:
>  Thank you for your time.

>  Andrew.

[.sig deleted]

Cheers,
Andrew McVeigh

Andrew McVeigh   Know Christ know life.  No Christ no life.

Wed, 21 Feb 1996 00:53:19 GMT

1. VSE 3.1 Repository Problem: Please help (please please?)

2. help please-----please help about array in DLL

4. ***HELP***HELP***HELP***Please.

5. HELP HELP HELP PLEASE Ordinal Function

6. Help Help Help Please

7. regex help please please !

8. Help on Help, PLEASE

9. Printing large text fields in cw1.5 help help please

10. Help Please Help

11. HELP, PLEASE HELP

12. HELP HELP Please .Problems with freewrap