Learning Oberon or Oberon/F
Author Message
 Learning Oberon or Oberon/F

Quote:

>and glimpsed it. Is there anyone out there who could tell me if it is
>possible for an old COBOL hack like me can learn this language from the
>documentation and lessons which accompany it's compiler.

Hmmm... Is this a question asking if anyone exists or is it a question
asking the implied question? :-)
It's been my experience that there is always someone on the internet
willing to tell you something!

Quote:

>I've been programming for better than 10 years and have ordinary
>intelligence - although I think I am a little smarter than the average
>bear. I've taken a few "overview" courses on "C" and "C++". "C" was
>almost understandable; I cannot same the same for "C++." I'd like to
>learn an OOP language and hope that Oberon/F is the most effecient path
>to pursue.

Oberon/F almost, but not quite, assumes some prior knowledge of Oberon --
and might be better if you already have some prior knowledge of it.  What
might be most beneficial for you is to get the book _Object Oriented
Programming in Oberon-2_ by Moessenboeck (Springer-Verlag).  The contents
of the book will be applicable (for the most part) to Oberon (the
langauge) residing under the Oberon System and Oberon/F.

If you are interested in how the Oberon System works (and to a large
part, how the messaging system in Oberon/F works), I suggest you get _The
Oberon System_ by Reiser (Addison Wesley).

Taylor Hutt, still around
It's sad that the most metric concious section of US society is drug dealers.

Fri, 31 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Learning Oberon or Oberon/F

Quote:

>I've been reading this news group for a short while and been interested
>in Oberon for a longer while. I have retreived the Oberon/F from ETZH
>and glimpsed it. Is there anyone out there who could tell me if it is
>possible for an old COBOL hack like me can learn this language from the
>documentation and lessons which accompany it's compiler.

I was able to learn Oberon from the language report and the
examples provided by ETH (neptune.inf.ethz.ch:/pub/Oberon/Docu),
but I already knew Pascal and Modula-2.  I don't know what kind of
documentation comes with Oberon/F.  I don't know COBOL, so I can't
say how different a language it is.

Sat, 01 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. Frage Oberon 3 / Question Oberon 3

2. CD-Oberon - Oberon/F

3. CD-Oberon Oberon 3 Printer Problem

4. Oberon System 3 / Native Oberon projects

5. inquiry about Visual Oberon/PC Native Oberon System 3

6. Native Oberon: Getting DOS based installation out of Oberon-0

7. Oberon-2 in Native Oberon System 3

8. modula2-to-Oberon, C++-to-Oberon

9. oberon kernel sources (Article 4814 in comp.lang.oberon)

10. POLL: Interest in PC Oberon (Native Oberon)

11. Oberon-Growth-Limit was Re: Oberon: beginners questions

12. Oberon/F, System3, Oberon