New Oberon System 3 Release 2.1 - September 4.
Author Message
 New Oberon System 3 Release 2.1 - September 4.

A new fully operational release of Oberon System 3 is now available by FTP:
       "ftp://ftp.inf.ethz.ch/pub/software/Oberon/System3/"

You may choose between:
       the PC Native Oberon System 3 version - sub-directory /Native

    or the Oberon System 3 for Windows version - sub-directory /Win32s
    (known as "Spirit of Oberon")

    or the Oberon System 3 for Windows 95 version - sub-directory /Win95
    supporting long file names.

Consult the Oberon System 3 home page and linked pages to obtain details on
these implementations:
      " http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;

The source code, except that of the kernel, is also available under free
license under the conditions of the general Oberon System 3 license contract.
An excerpt of the copyright appears at the beginning of each source module.
The license contract itself is available as online document "license.txt" in the
same ftp directory.

Documentation is included in the downloadable package or can be consulted
in HTML documents accessible from the System3 home page.

A compatible Macintosh version is available from Prof. Michael Franz -

   " ftp://ftp.ics.uci.edu/pub/oberon/System3/Macintosh"

---------------------
The team of the Institute of Computer Systems of ETH Zurich

Sun, 21 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 New Oberon System 3 Release 2.1 - September 4.

Quote:

> A new fully operational release of Oberon System 3 is now available ...
> Consult the Oberon System 3 home page and linked pages to obtain details on
> these implementations:
>       "http://www-cs.inf.ethz.ch/Gutknecht/System3.html"
> A compatible Macintosh version is available from Prof. Michael Franz -

>    " ftp://ftp.ics.uci.edu/pub/oberon/System3/Macintosh"

> ---------------------
> The team of the Institute of Computer Systems of ETH Zurich

What is NEW in this release?

I consulted the Oberon System 3 home page to obtain details; this page had
no details about what's new, but it had a promising link labeled "What's
NEW". I clicked it and got to the "Latest Oberon System 3 News" page, but
this page had no details about the new stuff either, only a link saying
"Consult the Oberon System 3 home page and linked pages ...".

Being curious, I downloaded the "compatible Macintosh version" (the July
beta), but I found no details about 2.1 there either.

Can anybody provide a clue?

Oslo

Mon, 22 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 New Oberon System 3 Release 2.1 - September 4.

Quote:

> What is NEW in this release?

For one thing it seems to make better use of hiearchical file systems.
They also added some new utilities like data encryption and support
for GIF89a.  Also all of the source code is now available.  I read
something in one file that reference OMI, but I couldn't tell if
it was actually available in this release or not.  I certainly hope
so.

Mon, 22 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 New Oberon System 3 Release 2.1 - September 4.

Quote:

> > What is NEW in this release?

> For one thing it seems to make better use of hiearchical file systems.
> They also added some new utilities like data encryption and support
> for GIF89a.  Also all of the source code is now available.  I read
> something in one file that reference OMI, but I couldn't tell if
> it was actually available in this release or not.  I certainly hope
> so.

Ok.  I've experimented with the system long enough now to know that OMI
IS supported in this new release.  That in itself is probably reason
enough to upgrade.  By default the compiler will produce OMI output.
If you need native output (i.e. you need to use the SYSTEM module)
you'll need to use the /N option when compiling.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Fri, 26 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. New Oberon System 3 Release 2.1

2. New freeware Oberon System V4 for OS/2 2.1 released

3. NEW RELEASE: Linz Oberon V4, Release 2.1

4. NEW RELEASE: Oberon System 3, Release 2.2

5. NEW RELEASE: Oberon System 3, Release 2.2

6. New release of Oberon System

7. New freeware Oberon System release

8. Oberon System 3, new release

9. Source Tracking System 2.1 released

10. MacOberon System 3 Release 2.1

11. Release of the ROL system version 2.1

12. New Release 2.1 of Visual Eiffel available