Plan 9
Author Message
 Plan 9

Plan 9 is AT&T Bell Labs' new operating system.

Quote:

>own.  Acme is a new user interface in which any word on the screen can
>be interpreted as a command by clicking on it, and any string can
>specify a file to be displayed.

Sounds familiar...

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~leonvs/
University of Texas, Computation Center Consulting Services
"We have not come to save you, but you will not die in vain!"

Sun, 18 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Plan 9

Quote:
>Plan 9 is AT&T Bell Labs' new operating system.

>>own.  Acme is a new user interface in which any word on the screen can
>>be interpreted as a command by clicking on it, and any string can
>>specify a file to be displayed.

>Sounds familiar...

And of course, if you look at the Acme paper from the Plan 9 docs (availabl at
ftp://plan9.att.com/plan9/doc/acme.html), you see the following:

``Cedar was, however, the major inspiration for Oberon [Wirt89], a system
of similar scope but much smaller scale. Through careful selection of
Cedar's ideas, Oberon shows that its lessons can be applied to a small,
coherent system that can run efficiently on modest hardware.''

``Acme is a new program, a combined window system, editor, and shell,
that applies some of the ideas distilled by Oberon. Where Oberon uses
objects and modules within a programming language (also called Oberon),
Acme uses files and commands within an existing operating system (Plan
9). Unlike Oberon, Acme does not yet have support for graphical output,
just text.''

Launchpad is an experimental internet BBS. The views of its users do not
necessarily represent those of UNC-Chapel Hill, OIT, or the SysOps.

Mon, 19 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Plan 9

Quote:
>Plan 9 is AT&T Bell Labs' new operating system.

>>own.  Acme is a new user interface in which any word on the screen can
>>be interpreted as a command by clicking on it, and any string can
>>specify a file to be displayed.
>Sounds familiar...

There's a reason for that - I believe the papers on Acme and its
precursors credit the Oberon system as the original inspiration.

Sean Case
--

Code is an illusion. Only assertions are real.

Sat, 24 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Plan 9

Quote:
>Plan 9 is AT&T Bell Labs' new operating system.

>>own.  Acme is a new user interface in which any word on the screen can
>>be interpreted as a command by clicking on it, and any string can
>>specify a file to be displayed.

>Sounds familiar...

To what? Please remember that by programming the Oberon System
Wirth was inspired by the famous Smaltalk-80 System which has all
the features of the Oberon System and much more. Don't forget this.
The current version of ST-80 (known as VisualWorks2.0) is a brilliant
tool and is still in front of any other development tool IMHO.

        --- Helmuth

Mon, 26 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Any plans to support PocketPC/WinCE?

2. APL support planned for Irma Workstation for Windows

3. APL support planned for Irma Workstation for Windows

4. DO YOU HAVE A RECOVERY PLAN? vrw

5. squeak smalltalk for high school class, lesson plans?

6. Have Cincom announced their plans for VisualSmalltalk?

7. Soliton Announces plans for Sharp APL (SAX) for Linux

8. Macintosh virus detection program in planning - help needed

9. Database support plans?

10. LAPACK doc and plans for J

11. PP's plans, and a couple questions about VisualWave

12. PLAN-X: Programming Language Technologies for XML