Oberon for Linux
Author Message
 Oberon for Linux

Can anyone please tell me how to install Oberon for Linux? I've read the
readme file but when I do exactly what it I'm supposed to do it tells me I
can't do:-( I don't know what:-) with the command ./install.
            Thanks!

Wed, 26 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Oberon for Linux

hello!

Quote:
> Can anyone please tell me how to install Oberon for Linux? I've read the
> readme file but when I do exactly what it I'm supposed to do it tells me I
> can't do:-( I don't know what:-) with the command ./install.
>             Thanks!

you're in luck... i just finnished packaging an rpm of linux oberon
2.3.6g. you can get it at

        http://www.vis.ethz.ch/~pedro/oberon-2.3.6g-1.i386.rpm

to install it, log on as root and run

        rpm -i oberon-2.3.6g-1.i386.rpm

if you don't like commandline-rpm, you can use gnorpm (pretty much
standard on all distributions). if nothing goes wrong, you should be
able to start oberon by typing

        oberon &

if you save any files in oberon, they will be left in the directory
oberon was started in, so i recommend startnig in you working directory
(i.e. /home/yourname/oberon).

if anything goes wrong, please tell me!

cheers
pedro

Thu, 27 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Oberon for Linux
Thank you very much!

Quote:

> hello!

> > Can anyone please tell me how to install Oberon for Linux? I've read the
> > readme file but when I do exactly what it I'm supposed to do it tells me
> > can't do:-( I don't know what:-) with the command ./install.
> >             Thanks!

> you're in luck... i just finnished packaging an rpm of linux oberon
> 2.3.6g. you can get it at

> http://www.vis.ethz.ch/~pedro/oberon-2.3.6g-1.i386.rpm

> to install it, log on as root and run

> rpm -i oberon-2.3.6g-1.i386.rpm

> if you don't like commandline-rpm, you can use gnorpm (pretty much
> standard on all distributions). if nothing goes wrong, you should be
> able to start oberon by typing

> oberon &

> if you save any files in oberon, they will be left in the directory
> oberon was started in, so i recommend startnig in you working directory
> (i.e. /home/yourname/oberon).

> if anything goes wrong, please tell me!

> cheers
> pedro

Thu, 27 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Oberon for Linux
Hello!
I downloaded the rpm and installed it as you told me but when I tried to run
it with the command oberon & it doesn't do nothing. Well it does... It says
that the bash doesn't recognise the command, it writes down some numbers,
the word exit and that's it. Also there is no Oberon directory in my home
directory.
        Thanks, Karlo.

Quote:

> hello!

> > Can anyone please tell me how to install Oberon for Linux? I've read the
> > readme file but when I do exactly what it I'm supposed to do it tells me
> > can't do:-( I don't know what:-) with the command ./install.
> >             Thanks!

> you're in luck... i just finnished packaging an rpm of linux oberon
> 2.3.6g. you can get it at

> http://www.vis.ethz.ch/~pedro/oberon-2.3.6g-1.i386.rpm

> to install it, log on as root and run

> rpm -i oberon-2.3.6g-1.i386.rpm

> if you don't like commandline-rpm, you can use gnorpm (pretty much
> standard on all distributions). if nothing goes wrong, you should be
> able to start oberon by typing

> oberon &

> if you save any files in oberon, they will be left in the directory
> oberon was started in, so i recommend startnig in you working directory
> (i.e. /home/yourname/oberon).

> if anything goes wrong, please tell me!

> cheers
> pedro

Thu, 27 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Oberon for Linux

Quote:
> Hello!

hi!

Quote:
> I downloaded the rpm and installed it as you told me but when I tried to run
> it with the command oberon & it doesn't do nothing. Well it does... It says
> that the bash doesn't recognise the command, it writes down some numbers,
> the word exit and that's it.

that's odd... were there any negative-sounding messages when you ran the
installation? if not, run

        printenv PATH

"/usr/local/bin" should be somewhere in the output. if not, login as
root and do

        mv /usr/local/bin/oberon /usr/bin/oberon

if this also produces some error message, then something went wrong with
the installation.

Quote:
> Also there is no Oberon directory in my home
> directory.
>         Thanks, Karlo.

that's right. the thing is that oberon will save files in the directory
it was started in -- i used /home/youname/oberon as an example (it's
what i have here).

cheers
pedro

Fri, 28 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Oberon and Linux

2. oberon for linux 2.3.6h

3. Keyboard Halt in Oberon for Linux

4. Symbol files in Oberon for Linux

5. Backspace and cursos keys not working in oberon for linux

6. Sokoban in Oberon for Linux

7. Installation of Native Oberon under Linux

8. Oberon for Linux?

9. Oberon V4 Linux release

10. Oberon V4 Linux new release

11. Oberon V4 Linux Linz Bug List