Use of Oberon to program 3COM Palm PDA
Author Message
 Use of Oberon to program 3COM Palm PDA

Hi everybody,

I'm interested to use Oberon as a programming language for PDAs,
specifically for the 3COM Palm III. Is there someone who tried this.

thanks a lot

Guy  Turcotte

Sat, 05 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Use of Oberon to program 3COM Palm PDA

Quote:

> Hi everybody,

> I'm interested to use Oberon as a programming language for PDAs,
> specifically for the 3COM Palm III. Is there someone who tried this.

> thanks a lot

> Guy  Turcotte

Hello.  I don't think anyone has tried that yet.  Since the PalmPilot
use the 68K architecture, one of the compilers available for that
processor would probably (maybe) work.  Beyond the processor though
the problem would probably be mapping the user interface.  You can,
of course, start from scratch and "bootstrap" your own GUI.

.

Sun, 06 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Use of Oberon to program 3COM Palm PDA

Quote:

> > Hi everybody,

> > I'm interested to use Oberon as a programming language for PDAs,
> > specifically for the 3COM Palm III. Is there someone who tried this.

> > thanks a lot

> > Guy  Turcotte

> Hello.  I don't think anyone has tried that yet.  Since the PalmPilot
> use the 68K architecture, one of the compilers available for that
> processor would probably (maybe) work.  Beyond the processor though
> the problem would probably be mapping the user interface.  You can,
> of course, start from scratch and "bootstrap" your own GUI.

Or you could run Linux. See:

  http://ryeham.ee.ryerson.ca/uClinux/

It wouldn't be easy, but it might be possible to use OO2C as a
cross-compiler.

Mon, 07 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Use of Oberon to program 3COM Palm PDA

> > I'm interested to use Oberon as a programming language for PDAs,
> > specifically for the 3COM Palm III.
> Hello.  I don't think anyone has tried that yet.  Since the PalmPilot
> use the 68K architecture, one of the compilers available for that
> processor would probably (maybe) work.  Beyond the processor though
> the problem would probably be mapping the user interface.  ....

True. I did some experiments a while ago porting Voyager from Oberon to
Newton. Examples are published in the Journal of Computational and
Graphical Statistics, Volume 5 No 3 (1996) 263-283. See
<http://statlab.uni-heidelberg.de/projects/voyager/> for an earlier
version of that paper. Exeriments for the Palm are under way.

One essential step was to go away from action based descriptions (click
and interclick...) to an abstract definition of actions (select,
activate,...) and map these to the respective host system.

   gs.

--

Mon, 07 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Use of Oberon to program 3COM Palm PDA

Quote:

> > Hello.  I don't think anyone has tried that yet.  Since the PalmPilot
> > use the 68K architecture, one of the compilers available for that
> > processor would probably (maybe) work.  Beyond the processor though
> > the problem would probably be mapping the user interface.  You can,
> > of course, start from scratch and "bootstrap" your own GUI.

> Or you could run Linux. See:

>   http://ryeham.ee.ryerson.ca/uClinux/

> It wouldn't be easy, but it might be possible to use OO2C as a
> cross-compiler.

But I found nothing on that page as to what gui you have running on
top of it.  Is it X-windows, or something else?  (My guess is due to
limited memory it's something else).  If ALL you're concerned
about is the Oberon compiler then I suppose that wouldn't matter.
But if I was using such a system I would want some capability
to build GUIs.

.

Mon, 07 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Use of Oberon to program 3COM Palm PDA

Quote:

>> Hi everybody,

>> I'm interested to use Oberon as a programming language for PDAs,
>> specifically for the 3COM Palm III. Is there someone who tried this.

>> thanks a lot

>> Guy  Turcotte

>Hello.  I don't think anyone has tried that yet.  Since the PalmPilot
>use the 68K architecture, one of the compilers available for that
>processor would probably (maybe) work.  Beyond the processor though
>the problem would probably be mapping the user interface.  You can,
>of course, start from scratch and "bootstrap" your own GUI.

My aim is not to reinvent the wheel but to get a good programming
environment on top of the capabilities available on the Palm III. It
seems to me that Oberon, using well designed support modules, can give
a better environment that what is available now for that kind of
computer.

Tue, 08 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Use of Oberon to program 3COM Palm PDA

Quote:

>> > Hello.  I don't think anyone has tried that yet.  Since the PalmPilot
>> > use the 68K architecture, one of the compilers available for that
>> > processor would probably (maybe) work.  Beyond the processor though
>> > the problem would probably be mapping the user interface.  You can,
>> > of course, start from scratch and "bootstrap" your own GUI.

>> Or you could run Linux. See:

>>   http://ryeham.ee.ryerson.ca/uClinux/

>> It wouldn't be easy, but it might be possible to use OO2C as a
>> cross-compiler.

>But I found nothing on that page as to what gui you have running on
>top of it.  Is it X-windows, or something else?  (My guess is due to
>limited memory it's something else).  If ALL you're concerned
>about is the Oberon compiler then I suppose that wouldn't matter.
>But if I was using such a system I would want some capability
>to build GUIs.

The Palm III already possess a GUI that can be used as a starting
point. The aim is to use Oberon to create a better programming
environment than the ones currently available for this device.

Tue, 08 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Use of Oberon to program 3COM Palm PDA
Hi there!

Quote:

> My aim is not to reinvent the wheel but to get a good programming
> environment on top of the capabilities available on the Palm III. It
> seems to me that Oberon, using well designed support modules, can give
> a better environment that what is available now for that kind of
> computer.

Well, we have an Oberon compiler for the 68K series (although Mac and not
Palm) here at UCI. Wanna play around with it? Download and have fun! :-)
Be sure to tell us what you have done with it, Oberon on the Palm is a
good idea!

--

NOTE: Please remove "spamblock." before replying per email!  :-)

Tue, 08 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Use of Oberon to program 3COM Palm PDA

Quote:

> >But I found nothing on that page as to what gui you have running on
> >top of it.  Is it X-windows, or something else?  (My guess is due to
> >limited memory it's something else).  If ALL you're concerned
> >about is the Oberon compiler then I suppose that wouldn't matter.
> >But if I was using such a system I would want some capability
> >to build GUIs.

> The Palm III already possess a GUI that can be used as a starting
> point. The aim is to use Oberon to create a better programming
> environment than the ones currently available for this device.

Agreed.  So the trick is to map Oberon to the Palm III GUI.
If X-windows is already running under uLinux you can possibly
use the Oberon-to-X-Windows mappings that already exist.
Barring that you'll have to go directly to the Palm API.  That
is probably a better approach because pen based computing
represents a paradigm shift from mouse/keyboard.  I think (as
pointed out) that the work on porting Voyager to the Newton
is a good place to look.

Are you looking to build a "System 3" or "V4" enviornment,
or simply start from scratch?  (Starting from scratch may
be the easiest think to do in this case).

--
******************************
Remove the "nospam" from my email to reply

Tue, 08 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. ANNOUNCE: PtCon 0.1 - Console for Palm Tcl on the Palm PDA

2. ANN: LispMe V1.4 (Scheme system for Pilot PDA by 3COM) available

3. 3com Palm Pilot

4. Free Palm Pilot PDA

5. Forth on ARM-based/Tungsten Palm PDA?

6. Fortran for Palms and other PDA's

7. Which language is used for Palm Programming

8. Oberon on a PDA

9. Oberon & PDA

10. PDA module - PDA questions

11. Labview PDA, What component does my Windows CE OS needs to run labview PDA

12. Using Pow! oberon-2 compiler with another program