Oberon archive on ftp:wuarchive.wustl.edu
Author Message
 Oberon archive on ftp:wuarchive.wustl.edu

I have corresponded with the archive maintainers at
ftp:wuarchive.wustl.edu, and they have kindly donated
space.  wuarchive.wustl.edu has address 128.252.135.4

..| Goal 1: Mirror the neptune archive.  An exact mirror would
..| currently require the following size:
..
..This is done.  /languages/oberon.
..
..It is set up as a mirror to the neptune archive.  As long as
..it isn't going to grow too terrible much, it should be a problem.
..
..| Does your ftp software allow you to track archive usage?
..
..Yes.  You can find statistics for previous months in
../info/usage-stats.

--------
One interesting aspect of Oberon is that the modules are
loaded once when they are requested, and remain loaded
and ready until some specific user action, including
System.Quit, removes them from memory.  The Washington
University archives allow remote NFS mounts to anyone,
anywhere.    The possibility of loading from the net, in conjunction
with the small total size, opens up vast possibilities for existing

..| Goal 2: Place a completely untarred, uncompressed version of the
..| directory Oberon/SPARC (but not Oberon/SPARC/Solaris2)
..| online, and let us evaluate the performance of loading and
..| using Oberon from an NFS mount of that directory.  I'd like
..| that to run perhaps through the mid January, so that
..| interested parties can see if this gives good performance.
..| This is expected to be about 2.8 Mb.  At the end of the trial
..| period, I might petition for permanent status or otherwise
..| discuss this.  I envision making this visible to the newsgroup
..| comp.lang.oberon.
..
../languages/oberon/SPARC/untarred contains the completely untarred,
..uncompressed version of the directory oberon/SPARC.
..
..Let me know how things work out.

--
Aubrey McIntosh  /  Chemistry  /  University of Texas  /  Austin, TX 78712
We had freezing rain outside Dallas for thanksgiving.  Although the pine

Mon, 03 Jun 1996 02:47:33 GMT

1. Ada compiler from wuarchive.wustl.edu

2. ANNOUNCE: ftp.cs.berkeley.edu archive going away

3. E-Mail server at wunet.wustl.edu

4. Squeak FTP site established: ftp://ftp.create.ucsb.edu/pub/Smalltalk/Squeak

5. New files available at ftp://ftp.aud.alcatel.com Archive

6. How to connect to Smalltalk Archive (st-www.cs.uiuc.edu)

7. PATCHES: Patch Archive Updated http://www.cs.uoregon.edu/research/tcl/patch/

8. J language--ftp problem at watserv1.waterloo.edu?

9. Closure of ftp.netcom.duke.edu, and fprimer.zip

10. J language--ftp problem at watserv1.waterloo.edu?

11. Announcing the Screamer Tool Repository: ftp.cis.upenn.edu

12. elk 1.1 available by anonymous ftp on labrea.stanford.edu