Wirth's Law
Author Message
 Wirth's Law

 . . .
You've heard of Moore's Law of Microprocessor Performance, but you may not have
heard of its corollary: Wirth's Law, attributed to Swiss professor Nicklaus
Wirth, who says that software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster.
Variations on this theme are sometimes used by vendors and the media to justify
to users an upgrade to a new computer just so they can run the newest software.
 . . .

http://www.*-*-*.com/ %2C4351%2C402250%2C00.html

--

Sun, 28 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Wirth's Law

Quote:

> . . .
>You've heard of Moore's Law of Microprocessor Performance, but you may not have
>heard of its corollary: Wirth's Law, attributed to Swiss professor Nicklaus
>Wirth, who says that software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster.

>http://www.zdnet.com/pcweek/stories/columns/0%2C4351%2C402250%2C00.html

Hmm, I had attributed this to Martin Reiser (from _The Oberon
System_, as I recall).
--
As long as each individual is facing the TV tube alone, formal
freedom poses no threat to privilege.  --Noam Chomsky

Sun, 28 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. 'Compiler Construction' by Niklaus Wirth

2. ANNOUNCE: C++ Version of Wirth's Oberon-O compiler

3. Seek for german version of Wirth's book

4. looking for wirth's comments on oop

5. Wirth's Oberon-0 Compiler for Pow!

6. Wirth's new book

7. Who are the 2 Niklaus Wirth's