Novice Questions
Author Message
 Novice Questions

I have have obtained a copy of MSDOS OBERON and am interested in exploring the
system. As my current system is an 80286, I will have to do some upgrading
before I can implement it.  Before I start buying equipment, I have a few
questions.
1. Is Oberon a good choice for number crunching?  I am interested in
mathematical modeling, numerical analysis, etc.  Floating point speed is
essential.
2.  The literature specifies an 80386 based system.  Can I read this as 386 or
better?  In particular, will it run on a 486dx 33?

3.  Any general recommendations as to equipment that works well - or doesn't
would be appreciated.  As I am on a limited budget, I am thinking in terms of
a new motherboard at present.
Thanks,

Thu, 22 Feb 1996 08:38:45 GMT
 Novice Questions

Quote:

>I have have obtained a copy of MSDOS OBERON and am interested in exploring the
>system. As my current system is an 80286, I will have to do some upgrading
>before I can implement it.  Before I start buying equipment, I have a few
>questions.
>1. Is Oberon a good choice for number crunching?  I am interested in
>mathematical modeling, numerical analysis, etc.  Floating point speed is
>essential.

That would depend alot on the implementation of Oberon which you are
using.  The DOS Oberon is not an optimizing compiler, so it may not be
blazingly fast in its generated code.  It also depends on how 'serious'
you want to get about your speed.  Lahey fortran or MS Fortran, or even
Stony Brooks M2 are undoubtedly faster.  It would be a tradeoff in using a
good system (Oberon) -vs- a good language (M2) -vs- raw number crunching
specifics (Fortran).

Quote:
>2.  The literature specifies an 80386 based system.  Can I read this as 386 or
>better?  In particular, will it run on a 486dx 33?

Yes, it will run on a 486.  386+ is sufficient (as long as it supports
32bit mode as implemented by the 386, you should be ok).  You do not even need
the 387 if you are not doing FP work.  (Which is kind of a pedantic
statement, given that you specifically asked about FP performance...)

Quote:
>3.  Any general recommendations as to equipment that works well - or doesn't
>would be appreciated.  As I am on a limited budget, I am thinking in terms of
>a new motherboard at present.
>Thanks,

I've got a 25MHz 386 with 8Mb RAM and 200Mb IDE that it runs fine upon.  This
system has a normal VGA, so the display is quite cramped at 640x480.
(Which is just a mere shell now that I have ---->)

I also have a 33MHz 486 with 8Mb RAM and 1.2Gb SCSI and a ET4000 video
adapter.  Oberon runs fine (FAST) on this system also, but the ET4000
drivers do not work with my video card :-(.

Both of the above are clones.

Other people have had problems with the video drivers.

I have a 33MHz 486 at work (Northgate), and the system runs fine.  I also
have an ET4000 on this system, and the display drivers work fine.  But, if
you go into 1024x768 mode, you should REALLY get a non-interlaced monitor,
of the flickering may induce and epileptic fit (fact: A Scorpions video
was banned in some places because it induced epileptic siezures).

Some el-cheapo mouses do not work well in protected mode.  Most notably,
avoid the Agiler line.  They work fine in 16bit mode, but will do all
kinds of bad things in protectd mode!

If you want to know what video adapters are used at ETH (for

Taylor "Independently wealthy (ha!)" Hutt
Someone out there is wearing a yellow tie with blue dots.  Who is it?

Sun, 25 Feb 1996 19:57:51 GMT
 Novice Questions
: >1. Is Oberon a good choice for number crunching?  I am interested in
: >mathematical modeling, numerical analysis, etc.  Floating point speed is
: >essential.

In FAQ i read about Seneca, an Oberon's dialect oriented toward mathematical (numer-
rical?) applications.  What is it's fate?

: Yes, it will run on a 486.  386+ is sufficient (as long as it supports
: 32bit mode as implemented by the 386, you should be ok).  You do not even need
: the 387 if you are not doing FP work.  (Which is kind of a pedantic
: statement, given that you specifically asked about FP performance...)

It is not exactly so; recent versions of DOS Oberon are equipped with a floating-point
emulator.

David.

Mon, 26 Feb 1996 01:33:59 GMT

1. Novice question

2. Super novice question..

3. Novice Question - Array Elements

4. Novice question - child window in VW5i.2

5. Yet another novice question

6. novice question: shallow and deep copies

7. Novice questions: Smalltalk 3.0 for DOS

8. novice question: subtyping String class?

9. Novices Questions

10. Loop for Items in .S (Novice question)

11. Novice Questions

12. Haskell novice question - deriving from Show