Native Oberon: Getting DOS based installation out of Oberon-0
Author Message
 Native Oberon: Getting DOS based installation out of Oberon-0

QUESTION

Is it possible (and how) to get a DOS based native Oberon installation
with the help of the stand alone Native Oberon-0 boot disk?

BACKGROUND

Currently I am using Native Oberon Standalone V2.2.10 (beta). I would
like to use the DOS based version as this will solve following
problems:

1. Setting video refresh rate
I am not comfortable with the default refresh rate of my ELSA S3
Trio64V2 graphics board. There is DOS utility to set refresh rates.
Unfortunately the new settings do not survive a boot.

2. Accessing hard drives larger than 8GB
Native Oberon can not be installed on such HDs (with OnTracks
DiskManager installed).

Looking a little around in Oberon-0 I found the command Config.FAT in
Appendix.Tool. I used this option in conjunction with the FileSytem
option at OBL time bit I did not succeed.

Sun, 01 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Native Oberon: Getting DOS based installation out of Oberon-0

Quote:
> 1. Setting video refresh rate

You should be aware that the "DOS based" isn't run under DOS.  DOS gets
shut down, so however you might set the refresh rate under DOS won't work
here.  What's DOS compatible is that this Oberon version exists inside a
single large file inside the DOS filespace.  The compatibility is similar
to a umsdos install under Linux.  It avoids the need to have a separate
partition.

Back in July I was trying to use an old DOS-Based version of Native on a
486SX but the floating point emulator kept crashing.  Pieter Muller said
it wasn't a very good version and sent me this method for installing
standalone (2.2.8 at the time) as DOS-Based.  It sounds like you're
already doing this but anyway:

1. From within DOS, create a new large file (e.g. c:\system3\native.dsk) as host
using the extend.exe program available at:
ftp://ftp.inf.ethz.ch/pub/Oberon/System3/Native/DosBased/
2. Boot Oberon-0, and at the OBL prompt, enter the file name of the host file
like this: FileSystem=c:\system3\native.dsk
3. Enter "c" to continue installation.
4. In Oberon-0, enter the command Config.FAT in the Install.Tool and execute it.
It must tell you the name of the host file.
5. Continue at STEP 2 of the Install.Tool
6. In STEP 4, use option (c) Boot diskette to make a boot diskette.  This can be
used to boot DOS-based Oberon.

Good luck with the disk manager.  I won't use one because I'd heard they
aren't compatible with any operating system other than DOS and I've been
using Linux for a few years. I live without "true" DOS by having my Win95
show the boot menu then select "Command Prompt" (if I need XMS) or "Safe
Mode Command Prompt" (if I need direct access to disk sectors).

If the disk manager has to be run *under* DOS then you may have to live
with Windows Oberon (or without DOS and the disk manager).

 Alan Corey

Quote:

> QUESTION

> Is it possible (and how) to get a DOS based native Oberon installation
> with the help of the stand alone Native Oberon-0 boot disk?

> BACKGROUND

> Currently I am using Native Oberon Standalone V2.2.10 (beta). I would
> like to use the DOS based version as this will solve following
> problems:

> 1. Setting video refresh rate
> I am not comfortable with the default refresh rate of my ELSA S3
> Trio64V2 graphics board. There is DOS utility to set refresh rates.
> Unfortunately the new settings do not survive a boot.

> 2. Accessing hard drives larger than 8GB
> Native Oberon can not be installed on such HDs (with OnTracks
> DiskManager installed).

> Looking a little around in Oberon-0 I found the command Config.FAT in
> Appendix.Tool. I used this option in conjunction with the FileSytem
> option at OBL time bit I did not succeed.

Wed, 04 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Native Oberon: Getting DOS based installation out of Oberon-0

Quote:

> > 1. Setting video refresh rate
> You should be aware that the "DOS based" isn't run under DOS.  DOS gets
> shut down, so however you might set the refresh rate under DOS won't work

To the contrary, this usually works.  All that those utilities that set the
refresh rate normally do is set some card-specific registers or BIOS-specific
memory location.  The noboot.exe boot loader sets the video mode using the
card's BIOS services while the machine is still in real mode, so the refresh
rate program still works.

In fact, it is even possible to use programs like UNIVBE (Screen Doctor) to
set the display into linear frame buffer mode (Vesa 2.0) and then run
Native Oberon using the Vesa 2.0 driver.

Quote:
> here.  What's DOS compatible is that this Oberon version exists inside a
> single large file inside the DOS filespace.  The compatibility is similar
> to a umsdos install under Linux.  It avoids the need to have a separate
> partition.

Correct.  Currently only FAT16 partitions are supported (not FAT32 or NTFS).

Quote:
> Back in July I was trying to use an old DOS-Based version of Native on a
> 486SX but the floating point emulator kept crashing.  Pieter Muller said
> it wasn't a very good version and sent me this method for installing
> standalone (2.2.8 at the time) as DOS-Based.  It sounds like you're
> already doing this but anyway:

You could try again with the floating-point emulator in the new release.
It has been improved by Edgar Schwarz.  BTW 2.3.0 will probably be made
public this week.

-- Pieter

--
Pieter Muller, Institute for Computer Systems, ETH Zurich
Native Oberon OS: http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/native/

Thu, 05 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Native Oberon: Getting DOS based installation out of Oberon-0
Alan,

Thank you for the hints. Unfortunately I still encounter problems. So
I decided to stay with Standalone Native Oberon and to try to program
the S3 refresh rate from within Oberon.

Monika

On Sat, 17 Oct 1998 00:57:14 -0400, Alan Corey

Quote:

>> 1. Setting video refresh rate

>You should be aware that the "DOS based" isn't run under DOS.  DOS gets
>shut down, so however you might set the refresh rate under DOS won't work
>here.  What's DOS compatible is that this Oberon version exists inside a
>single large file inside the DOS filespace.  The compatibility is similar
>to a umsdos install under Linux.  It avoids the need to have a separate
>partition.

>Back in July I was trying to use an old DOS-Based version of Native on a
>486SX but the floating point emulator kept crashing.  Pieter Muller said
>it wasn't a very good version and sent me this method for installing
>standalone (2.2.8 at the time) as DOS-Based.  It sounds like you're
>already doing this but anyway:

>1. From within DOS, create a new large file (e.g. c:\system3\native.dsk) as host
>using the extend.exe program available at:
>ftp://ftp.inf.ethz.ch/pub/Oberon/System3/Native/DosBased/
>2. Boot Oberon-0, and at the OBL prompt, enter the file name of the host file
>like this: FileSystem=c:\system3\native.dsk
>3. Enter "c" to continue installation.
>4. In Oberon-0, enter the command Config.FAT in the Install.Tool and execute it.
>It must tell you the name of the host file.
>5. Continue at STEP 2 of the Install.Tool
>6. In STEP 4, use option (c) Boot diskette to make a boot diskette.  This can be
>used to boot DOS-based Oberon.

>Good luck with the disk manager.  I won't use one because I'd heard they
>aren't compatible with any operating system other than DOS and I've been
>using Linux for a few years. I live without "true" DOS by having my Win95
>show the boot menu then select "Command Prompt" (if I need XMS) or "Safe
>Mode Command Prompt" (if I need direct access to disk sectors).

>If the disk manager has to be run *under* DOS then you may have to live
>with Windows Oberon (or without DOS and the disk manager).

> Alan Corey

>> QUESTION

>> Is it possible (and how) to get a DOS based native Oberon installation
>> with the help of the stand alone Native Oberon-0 boot disk?

>> BACKGROUND

>> Currently I am using Native Oberon Standalone V2.2.10 (beta). I would
>> like to use the DOS based version as this will solve following
>> problems:

>> 1. Setting video refresh rate
>> I am not comfortable with the default refresh rate of my ELSA S3
>> Trio64V2 graphics board. There is DOS utility to set refresh rates.
>> Unfortunately the new settings do not survive a boot.

>> 2. Accessing hard drives larger than 8GB
>> Native Oberon can not be installed on such HDs (with OnTracks
>> DiskManager installed).

>> Looking a little around in Oberon-0 I found the command Config.FAT in
>> Appendix.Tool. I used this option in conjunction with the FileSytem
>> option at OBL time bit I did not succeed.

Sun, 08 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Native Oberon: Getting DOS based installation out of Oberon-0

Quote:

> I decided to stay with Standalone Native Oberon and to try to program
> the S3 refresh rate from within Oberon.

Peter Matthias wrote a refresh rate setting program for the S3Trio:
ftp://huxley.ethz.ch/pub/System3/Sources/Native/S3Trio.Frequenz.pm.Mod

-- Pieter

--
Pieter Muller, Institute for Computer Systems, ETH Zurich
Native Oberon OS: http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/native/

Mon, 09 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Native Oberon: Getting DOS based installation out of Oberon-0

Quote:
>Peter Matthias wrote a refresh rate setting program for the S3Trio:
>ftp://huxley.ethz.ch/pub/System3/Sources/Native/S3Trio.Frequenz.pm.Mod

Pieter,

Thank you for the link. I downloaded the file and adapted it to my
needs, that is switching form 800x600, 75Hz -> 85Hz.

(* Do NOT use if yout current screen is interlaced *)
PROCEDURE Do85Hz*; (* sets the refresh rate in mode 800x600 to 70 Hz
*)
VAR ch: CHAR;
BEGIN
  SYSTEM.PORTOUT(3C4H, 0608H); (* unlock S3 extension sequence reg.*)
  SYSTEM.PORTOUT(3C4H, 4512H);  (* r=4, n=5, index 12H *)
  SYSTEM.PORTOUT(3C4H, 6C13H);  (* m=108, index 13H *)
  SYSTEM.PORTOUT(3C4H, 15H);
  SYSTEM.PORTIN( 3C5H, ch);
  SYSTEM.PORTOUT(3C5H, SYSTEM.VAL( CHAR, SYSTEM.VAL( SET, ch) +{ 5}));
  SYSTEM.PORTOUT(3C5H, SYSTEM.VAL( CHAR, SYSTEM.VAL( SET, ch) -{ 5}));
  SYSTEM.PORTOUT( 3C4H, LONG( 8H)); (* lock S3 extension sequence
reg.*)
END Do85Hz;

The code works on my machine with TrioV2. Nevertheless I am looking
for documentation about the S3 CRTC. Unfortunately I did not find any
resource on the web using Altavista and DejaNews.

Can someone please give me a pointer.

Monika

Wed, 11 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Installation of Native Oberon under Linux

2. Oberon System 3 / Native Oberon projects

3. inquiry about Visual Oberon/PC Native Oberon System 3

4. Oberon-2 in Native Oberon System 3

5. POLL: Interest in PC Oberon (Native Oberon)

6. XDS native code Modula/Oberon compilers: DEMO is available for MS-DOS

7. XDS native code Modula/Oberon compilers: DEMO is available for MS-DOS

8. SOFTWARE: Native XDS-x86 v2.20 (Modula-2/Oberon-2 compiler)

9. USB Zip drive under BlueBottle or Native Oberon?

10. USB Zip drive under BlueBottle or Native Oberon?

11. XML For Plugin/Native Oberon

12. Oberon-2 Win32 Native