networking in linux native oberon
Author Message
 networking in linux native oberon

Quote:
> Somewhere in the LNO readme or system documentation it says that ethernet
> is not supported in LNO, only SLIP and PPP networking.

oh...

Quote:
> Ideally, LNO should use the networking of the hosting OS, Linux.

> What would be required is to replace the Native Oberon NetSystem module
> used in LNO with a version that maps to system calls for Linux TCP/IP.
> The NetSystem module from Linux Oberon might be a good starting point
> (if it exists :-).

i copied the .mod files from linux oberon, and compiled and installed
them. when i request a network document it tells me it could not find a
device in Oberon.Text (i deleted all those entries). what device should
i use?

i compiled EmptyNet.Mod from linux oberon and put back the lines in
Oberon.Text for it. it stopped complaining, but i'm not getting any
pages, just "loading failed"s and stuff like that.

in linux oberon there are no network specific settings in Oberon.Text,
so i'm guessing there's still a file i need to copy or modify... any
ideas?

Quote:
> There are probably some configuration issues to iron out, e.g. what
> to do when you want to share a partition between LNO and Native Oberon.
> Native would need its own NetSystem.Obj, and LNO would need its Linux-calling
> version of the file.  A quick workaround would be to copy the required
> .Obj file when booting.  Another solution would be to make an installable
> NetSystem module.

as far as i could see, the system tries to load a driver module, so
copying or - better yet - installing the appropriate driver by hand with
MyBogusLNODriver.InstallDriver before trying to hit a newsgroup, seems
to be the best solution. the problem is though, somebody has to write a
MyBogusLNODriver that interfaces to the linux system calls...

cheers and thanks
pedro

Wed, 03 Sep 2003 01:07:51 GMT
 networking in linux native oberon

Quote:
> some people were discussing the virutes of mailing and newsing from
> within oberon... i wanted to try it out, launched lno and got nowhere. i
> configured the network setting as if it were native, although i don't
> know what kind of network adapter this is, although this doesn't realy
> make sens for a non-standalone verion, and managed to get a trap.

> since i am always working on different machines, this wouldn't realy
> help even if it worked. anybody know what to do?

Somewhere in the LNO readme or system documentation it says that ethernet
is not supported in LNO, only SLIP and PPP networking.

Ideally, LNO should use the networking of the hosting OS, Linux.

What would be required is to replace the Native Oberon NetSystem module
used in LNO with a version that maps to system calls for Linux TCP/IP.
The NetSystem module from Linux Oberon might be a good starting point
(if it exists :-).

There are probably some configuration issues to iron out, e.g. what
to do when you want to share a partition between LNO and Native Oberon.
Native would need its own NetSystem.Obj, and LNO would need its Linux-calling
version of the file.  A quick workaround would be to copy the required
.Obj file when booting.  Another solution would be to make an installable
NetSystem module.

-- Pieter

--
Pieter Muller, Institute for Computer Systems, ETH Zurich
Native Oberon OS: http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/native/

Tue, 02 Sep 2003 23:27:24 GMT
 networking in linux native oberon

hello!

some people were discussing the virutes of mailing and newsing from
within oberon... i wanted to try it out, launched lno and got nowhere. i
configured the network setting as if it were native, although i don't
know what kind of network adapter this is, although this doesn't realy
make sens for a non-standalone verion, and managed to get a trap.

since i am always working on different machines, this wouldn't realy
help even if it worked. anybody know what to do?

cheers and thanks
pedro

Tue, 02 Sep 2003 22:56:02 GMT
 networking in linux native oberon

Quote:

> > Somewhere in the LNO readme or system documentation it says that ethernet
> > is not supported in LNO, only SLIP and PPP networking.

> oh...

> > Ideally, LNO should use the networking of the hosting OS, Linux.

> > What would be required is to replace the Native Oberon NetSystem module
> > used in LNO with a version that maps to system calls for Linux TCP/IP.
> > The NetSystem module from Linux Oberon might be a good starting point
> > (if it exists :-).

> i copied the .mod files from linux oberon, and compiled and installed
> them. when i request a network document it tells me it could not find a
> device in Oberon.Text (i deleted all those entries). what device should
> i use?

> i compiled EmptyNet.Mod from linux oberon and put back the lines in
> Oberon.Text for it. it stopped complaining, but i'm not getting any
> pages, just "loading failed"s and stuff like that.

> in linux oberon there are no network specific settings in Oberon.Text,
> so i'm guessing there's still a file i need to copy or modify... any
> ideas?

I dont know about LNO, but the Linux Oberon version maintained by Guenter Feldman
(current version 2.3.6h, IIRC) is fully net aware. Just connect to the network on
Your linux machine, and the hosted oberon system is ready to be used for netwide stuff
as well. Just don't forget that domain names containing a dash have to be quoted.

On a machine that has an active connection, try to enter an ftp url and open it like You would open an oberon document. have fun....

H.

Sun, 05 Oct 2003 03:08:00 GMT
 networking in linux native oberon

Quote:

> I dont know about LNO, but the Linux Oberon version maintained by Guenter Feldman
> (current version 2.3.6h, IIRC) is fully net aware. Just connect to the network on
> Your linux machine, and the hosted oberon system is ready to be used for netwide stuff
> as well. Just don't forget that domain names containing a dash have to be quoted.

> On a machine that has an active connection, try to enter an ftp url and open it like You would open an oberon document. have fun....

> H.

i have linux oberon on my machine, but the whole point is to get
networking to work under linux native oberon. linux oberon is nice and
all, but i rather lno.

cheers
pedro

Sun, 05 Oct 2003 17:17:02 GMT

1. Networking in Native Oberon

2. Questions about Gadgets programming in Linux Native Oberon 2.3.7

3. Native Oberon System-3 on Linux GGI

4. Installation of Native Oberon under Linux

5. Oberon System 3 / Native Oberon projects

6. inquiry about Visual Oberon/PC Native Oberon System 3

7. Native Oberon: Getting DOS based installation out of Oberon-0

8. Oberon-2 in Native Oberon System 3

9. POLL: Interest in PC Oberon (Native Oberon)

10. SOFTWARE: Native XDS-x86 v2.20 (Modula-2/Oberon-2 compiler)

11. USB Zip drive under BlueBottle or Native Oberon?

12. USB Zip drive under BlueBottle or Native Oberon?