Oberon 2??
Author Message
 Oberon 2??

   > The way I understand it, Oberon is an entire operating system in itself.
   > I don't know if you can run it on top of Linux.  From what I know about
   > it I doubt it.

   I've been told that implementations of Oberon, as currently available
   on MS-DOS and some Unix (was it SPARC?), is built on top of the
   existing OS, so under MS-DOS it uses the DOS filesystem (of course
   with ugly cludges for the namespace limitations...)

   So an implementation on top of other Un*x variants should be possible.
   The greatest effort for porting would probably go into the compiler,
   but it is rather small.

   Olaf

There already is a compiler back-end for the i386, but source isn't
free.  So we get to wait for the ETHZ people to do a linux port
instead of doing it ourselves...

--
Jay Carlson

Flat text is just *never* what you want.   ---stephen p spackman

Mon, 30 Oct 1995 21:25:54 GMT

1. Frage Oberon 3 / Question Oberon 3

2. CD-Oberon - Oberon/F

3. CD-Oberon Oberon 3 Printer Problem

4. Oberon System 3 / Native Oberon projects

5. inquiry about Visual Oberon/PC Native Oberon System 3

6. Native Oberon: Getting DOS based installation out of Oberon-0

7. Oberon-2 in Native Oberon System 3

8. modula2-to-Oberon, C++-to-Oberon

9. oberon kernel sources (Article 4814 in comp.lang.oberon)

10. POLL: Interest in PC Oberon (Native Oberon)

11. Oberon-Growth-Limit was Re: Oberon: beginners questions

12. Learning Oberon or Oberon/F