Why Oberon is little known
Author Message
 Why Oberon is little known

Dear Oberon Developers:

Today I visited the main Linux distribution site sunsite.unc.edu.
This is the archive which gets distributed on various Linux CD-ROM sets.
Many people use these CDs to install software from.

There is an Oberon directory there. Do I need to comment on its content?

/pub/Linux/devel/lang/oberon

total 311
-rw-rw-r--   1 67       1002          194 Sep 09 19:21 !INDEX
-rw-rw-r--   1 67       1002          816 Sep 09 19:21 !INDEX.html
-rw-rw-r--   1 67       1002          568 Sep 09 19:21 !INDEX.short.html
drwxrwxr-x   2 67       1002          512 Mar 25  1997 .
drwxrwxr-x  32 67       1002         1024 Sep 15 07:32 ..
-rw-rw-r--   1 545      1002           81 Sep 09 19:21 README
-rw-rw-r--   1 67       1002          771 Apr 04  1996 jacob-v0.1.1.lsm
-rw-rw-r--   1 67       1002       299877 Apr 04  1996 jacob-v0.1.1.tar.gz
226 Transfer complete.

Wojtek
--

Nuclear Structure Research Lab, Univ. of Rochester
271 East River Rd, Rochester, NY 14627.

Mon, 26 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Why Oberon is little known

Quote:

> Dear Oberon Developers:

> Today I visited the main Linux distribution site sunsite.unc.edu.
> This is the archive which gets distributed on various Linux CD-ROM sets.

Wojtec,

Some years ago, I noticed that WUArchive.WUStL.Edu had a language
section, and that Oberon was not included.  At that time, I tried to
minimize my trans Atlantic ftp usage.  I corresponded with the curators
there, and as a result they mirror the ETH site.  Please see
<ftp://wuarchive.wustl.edu/languages/oberon/>

I am satisfied with my own outcome.  Perhaps, as one of the Linux
literati of this group, you would be in a position to correspond with
the Linux archive curators and/or Robert Lichtenberger.

Aubrey

Mon, 26 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Why Oberon is little known

Quote:

>there, and as a result they mirror the ETH site.  Please see
><ftp://wuarchive.wustl.edu/languages/oberon/>

I tried but did not have the "authority" to access this site.

   "It is of the highest importance in the art of detection to be able
   to recognize out of a number of facts which are incidental and
   which are vital. Otherwise you energy and attention must be
   dissipated instead of being concentrated."
                Sherlock Holmes

Mon, 26 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Why Oberon is little known

Aubrey> there, and as a result they mirror the ETH site.  Please see
Aubrey> <ftp://wuarchive.wustl.edu/languages/oberon/>

Al> I tried but did not have the "authority" to access this site.

I had no problem accessing it this morning.

Mark

Real-Time Systems Laboratory
--

Tue, 27 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Why Oberon is little known

Besides the need to go overseas to get it, there is the learning curve.

I have been working off an on since last summer.
Progress to date:

1. Figured out the differences betyween all the different versions.
2. Settle on ETH V4/Windows, Linz V4/Windows and ETH System 3
for learning purposes.
3. Found no bookstore which WOULD order the book and let me know when it
arrived, so I called Addison Wesley directly.....  and got the book. (1 of 3)
4. Figured out how to print the manuals in ETH and Linz verions, so I can
read how to modify the menus and negotiate directories.
5. Been having fun since Jan 1 just writing texts. Really should start writing
procedures to extend XYFrames.....

The 'how to' information is important.It's all there, but the transition from
the
ms-gui (pronounced "miz-gooey) to this one is a little bumpy at first. I am
writing for myself an .html how to page for beginners.

-james

Mon, 10 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Why Oberon is little known

Quote:

> Besides the need to go overseas to get it, there is the learning curve.

                         --------(1)                      -------------(2)

(1) Overseas? I thought you can download. I could....
(2) It took me way more time to setup a Linux machine (actually a cluster
    of 3 machines). I now have as many books on *running* Linux than
    on *programming* with Oberon. In fact I have not yet written a single
    line of Linux-specific code... just setting up and administrating.
    Just for that I needed four books.

Quote:
> 3. Found no bookstore which WOULD order the book and let me know when it
> arrived, so I called Addison Wesley directly.....  and got the book. (1 of 3)

Hmm. Both Amazon and BookPool can ship the Oberon books to you same day.

Quote:
> I am
> writing for myself an .html how to page for beginners.

Great. Please make it available.

Wojtek

--

Nuclear Structure Research Lab, Univ. of Rochester
271 East River Rd, Rochester, NY 14627.
phone (716) 275 2524  fax (716) 473 5384
World Wide Web: http://nuchem.nsrl.rochester.edu/~skulski

Mon, 10 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Why Oberon is little known

Quote:
>> Besides the need to go overseas to get it, there is the learning curve.

                         --------(1)                      -------------(2)

Quote:
>(1) Overseas? I thought you can download. I could....

Sometimes I do things the hard way.

Quote:
>(2) It took me way more time to setup a Linux machine (actually a cluster
>    of 3 machines). I now have as many books on *running* Linux than
>    on *programming* with Oberon. In fact I have not yet written a single
>    line of Linux-specific code... just setting up and administrating.
>    Just for that I needed four books.

ibid.

Quote:
>> 3. Found no bookstore which WOULD order the book and let me know when it
>> arrived, so I called Addison Wesley directly.....  and got the book. (1 of

3)

Quote:
>Hmm. Both Amazon and BookPool can ship the Oberon books to you same day.

ibid.
Also, it is a shame that bookstores (the kind you can walk into) don'r carry
the books. But yes, amazon.com and BookPool are a great resource.

Quote:
>> I am
>> writing for myself an .html how to page for beginners.
>Great. Please make it available.

I keep stuff at http://members.aol.com/JasCJones

If I take my local page and upload it, it would be named

canubob1.htm

-James

Wed, 12 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Anybody know why I am timing out

2. 1 little, 2 little, 3 little endians...

3. I know. I am full of it

4. Request from a OS/2 REXX coder that knows a little C++

5. Anyone know COBOL, RPC and a little JAVA???

6. I am excited about Oberon again!!!!!

7. I am glad Oberon is unknown....

8. why why why oh why why baby

9. Little help with PPPMain script in Oberon.Text?

10. Why am I getting bind errors?

11. ERROR 48 - Why am I getting it?

12. why am i getting processor stack fault error?