Anybody got XFonts to work on System3/Linux?
Author Message
 Anybody got XFonts to work on System3/Linux?

I am trying desperately to get the XFonts to work, because
typing in the editor is WAY too slow. Under DOS, it's much
faster so I know it isn't a problem with my ET4000 video
board being unaccellerated.

After installing XFonts according to the instructions,
Oberon just cannot find them. I know that X-windows can
find them, because I can open xterms with the Oberon fonts.

I would appreciate to hear from people who got XFonts to
work on Linux and if they had any problems.

Sat, 29 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Anybody got XFonts to work on System3/Linux?

Quote:

> I am trying desperately to get the XFonts to work, because
> typing in the editor is WAY too slow. Under DOS, it's much
> faster so I know it isn't a problem with my ET4000 video
> board being unaccellerated.

> After installing XFonts according to the instructions,
> Oberon just cannot find them. I know that X-windows can
> find them, because I can open xterms with the Oberon fonts.

> I would appreciate to hear from people who got XFonts to
> work on Linux and if they had any problems.

I got Xfonts to work under V4, because for principal reasons
I cannot get my Linux System-3 working :-)

Maybe it helps: I just downloaded an Xfonts archive, unpacked
and followed the instructions. That was it. Next time I started
V4 Linux Oberon, fonts were there (except 24 points font, but who
needs it anyway:-)

Maybe I should add, that all works fine under Mach64 server
(the Linux display), also fine on an DEC VAX and DEC Alpha
used as x-displays for Linux, but definitely not fine if I use
another Linux box with Diamond Speedstar 24X card. But this is
due to a crummy card, so nothing really to complain about
(unusal for me, is it not?).

hope it helps.
Wojtek

Sat, 29 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Anybody got XFonts to work on System3/Linux?

Quote:

>I am trying desperately to get the XFonts to work, because
>typing in the editor is WAY too slow.

OK, it may have nothing to do with X being slow without it's
native fonts. The typing speed is only slow on System3 on Linux.
With the older Version 4 on Linux, the speed is much higher and
not a concern at all. As I mentioned in my earlier post, under
DOS, System3 is fast too.

So, anybody has a clue as to why System 3 on Linux is slow?

Sun, 30 Nov 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Anybody got XFonts to work on System3/Linux?
| The typing speed is only slow on System3 on Linux.  With the older
| Version 4 on Linux, the speed is much higher and not a concern at all.

I've noticed that the sparc version of System3 is noticably slower
than Version 4, especially inside a gadgets window.

Mon, 01 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. Getting DLLCC Vector Math example working on Linux

2. Help required getting xj3d working in Linux environment.

3. Troubleshoot: Problem getting Tkinter to work with Python 2.2C1 on Linux

4. Help getting BLT extension working with python/tkinter on linux

5. System3 for Linux hangs

6. System3 for Linux?

7. PLEASE standardise Oberon Xfonts

8. Does anybody have any working examples of OLE?

9. Anybody got VW 3.0 working with Gemstone??

10. Has anybody worked with containers ?

11. Does *anybody* use Flagship - linux ??

12. Is anybody working on a ruby compiler (rb->exe)