Wanted: real-life examples of working dialup scripts
Author Message
 Wanted: real-life examples of working dialup scripts

I can't figure out how to connect to my ISP via dialup ppp from Native
Oberon.

Here is basically what I have in Oberon.Text right now:

NetSystem = {
 Hosts = {
  Domain = { "my-isp.net" }
  DNS0 = { "dns0", "aaa.bbb.ccc.11" }
  DNS1 = { "dns1", "aaa..bbb.ccc.33" }

  Device0 = { "PPPMain.InstPPP", "COM2" }

  Route0 = {
   Device = "device0"
   Mode = "'
  }
 }

Quote:
}

DIAL = {

 Init = { COM2 57600 }
 PAPName = { "myloginname" }
 PAPPassword = { "mypassword" }
 Dial = {
  "ATZ"
  10 "OK"
  "ATD xxxyyyy"
  60 "CONNECT"
  10 "ogin:"
  USER
  20 "word:"
  PASSWORD
  CALL PPPMain.StartInst
 }

Quote:
}

This script seems to exit normally, and the modem lights up as it
normally does,
but the send and receive LEDs on the  modem are both alternating on and
off
extremely fast, and when I try to use the connection, all I get is "PPP
Timeout".

For this kind of problem, I find that it helps me if I have a range of
examples
taken from real life to look at, so I would greatly appreciate any
examples
of working dialup scripts that anyone should care to post as addenda to
this note.

Thank you!

wdbh

Tue, 12 Oct 2004 15:29:29 GMT
 Wanted: real-life examples of working dialup scripts

Quote:

> I can't figure out how to connect to my ISP via dialup ppp from Native
> Oberon.

You need to specify the version of Native Oberon.

Quote:
> Here is basically what I have in Oberon.Text right now:
>   [snip] ---

> DIAL = {

>  Init = { COM2 57600 }
>  PAPName = { "myloginname" }
>  PAPPassword = { "mypassword" }
>  Dial = {
>   "ATZ"
>   10 "OK"
>   "ATD xxxyyyy"
>   60 "CONNECT"
>   10 "ogin:"
>   USER
>   20 "word:"
>   PASSWORD
>   CALL PPPMain.StartInst
>  }
> }

Here's my Ver. 3.2.6 :-
DIAL = {
        Init = { COM2 19200 }   {* modem port and speed *}
        PAPName = { "cglur" } {* if using PAP only *}
        PAPPassword = { "<password>" }  {* if using PAP only "ATX" for Zoltrix *}
        Dial = {
                "ATZ"
                10 "OK"
                "ATX"
                10 "OK"
                "ATDT2668400"
                60 "CONNECT"
                CALL PPPMain.StartInst
        }

Quote:
}

Which I believe is called with the following 4 line script:-
NetSystem.Start ~

Dialer.Dial DIAL device0 ~
Dialer.State DIAL device0 ~

?? is your baud rate a valid choice ?
With a  previous modem I didn't need to use the additional commands
"ATZ" ; 10 "OK" ; (to fix the no dialtone problem).
Your script looks like my Linux pap?chat script.
Apparently the 'dialog stuff' is not needed for n-o ?

---------------------------------
Here's my Ver. for Alpha 2001 March script.
PPP = {
        Init = { COM2 38400 }   {* modem port and speed example. *}
        Dial = {
                "ATZ"
                10 "OK"
                "ATX"
                10 "OK"
                "ATD 2668400"
                "ATM1"
                60 "CONNECT"
                CALL "PPPMain.StartInst PPP cglur"
        }

Which is called with the following  script:-

Dialer.Dial PPP Device0 ~

-- Chris Glur.

PS. under rare circumstances ('bad' cut of after connect) the computer
needs to be rebooted. Apparently the "system" doesn't reset.
This could be:
* the hardware (confirmed on several machines),
* n-o's V24 driver,
* the ppp utility
  ??

Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:43:36 GMT
 Wanted: real-life examples of working dialup scripts

Quote:

> > I can't figure out how to connect to my ISP via dialup ppp from Native
> > Oberon.

> You need to specify the version of Native Oberon.

   Thank you.

   Native Oberon Beta 08.12.00 [Dec 8, * 2000* ?]

   Did I install the wrong version of Oberon?

   Also, I seem not to have saved a copy of the original Oberon.Text

   It the original Oberon.Text available to me, or would I have to reinstall Oberon
from scratch?

Wed, 13 Oct 2004 10:11:46 GMT
 Wanted: real-life examples of working dialup scripts
Quote:
> I can't figure out how to connect to my ISP via dialup ppp from Native
> Oberon.

Did you have a look at PPP.Tool ? If you are missing something please tell me.
A guess: You probably shouldn't specifiy PAPName and PAPPassword.
Perhaps Oberon.Text of some versions isn't uptodate.

Cheers, Edgar

--

*          DOSenfreie Zone.        Running Active Oberon.         *
Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler.     Albert Einstein

Thu, 14 Oct 2004 01:24:35 GMT
 Wanted: real-life examples of working dialup scripts
Quote:

> > > I can't figure out how to connect to my ISP via dialup ppp from Native
> > > Oberon.

> > You need to specify the version of Native Oberon.

>    Thank you.

>    Native Oberon Beta 08.12.00 [Dec 8, * 2000* ?]

>    Did I install the wrong version of Oberon?

As for most things in life there's no RIGHT version.
I've recently gone back to V 2.3.6 for heavy internet use, since Beta & Alpha
crash (nearly as bad as M$) when I download lots of email, News and
http in one session - (confirmed on different machines).

The whole justification for Alpha/Beta versions is to use testers (us)
to find bugs.  But I'm not convinced that ETH has put in place the
management systems to coordinate:
* those that find the bugs through heavy useage,
* those that fix the found bugs,
* those that test the fixes through heavy useage,
* the communication system, so that those who find bugs can decide
   whether to allocate their resource to fix (perhaps) already fixed bugs.
* those that design the 'top' (canonical) structure eg.
  that each app. has exactly one *.Tool and one *.Text ;
  and that an ample description of the contibutions exists in the
  ReadMe without needing to descend multi-levels into the search
  tree and open zips/Arcs to read something that is perhaps/not of interest.

Quote:
>    Also, I seem not to have saved a copy of the original Oberon.Text

>    It the original Oberon.Text available to me, or would I have to
> reinstall Oberon from scratch?

If you've [Store]-ed only once it's still available as Oberon.Text.Bak ,
else reinstall (best to another partition) is easy ?

-- Chris Glur.

Thu, 14 Oct 2004 17:39:10 GMT
 Wanted: real-life examples of working dialup scripts

Quote:

> > I can't figure out how to connect to my ISP via dialup ppp from Native
> > Oberon.
> Did you have a look at PPP.Tool ? If you are missing something please tell me.
> A guess: You probably shouldn't specifiy PAPName and PAPPassword.
> Perhaps Oberon.Text of some versions isn't uptodate.

> Cheers, Edgar

  Ok, I looked at PPP.Tool and tried to make the relevant parts of my Oberon.Text
look as similar as possible, but now I get an error message to the effect "Init
parse error"
when I try to dial.

  Here is what I have:

NetSystem = {
 Hosts = {
  Domain = { "sonic.net", "" }
  DNS0 = { "dns0", "208.201.224.11" }
  DNS1 = { "dns1", "208.201.224.33" }

  Device0 = { "PPPMain.InstPPP", "COM2" }

  Route0 = {
   Device = "Device0"
   Mode = "'
  }
 }

 SMTP = "mail.sonic.net" {* outgoing mail server *}
 POP = "pop.sonic.net" {* incoming mail server *}
 NNTP = "news.sonic.net" {* news server *}
 POPMode = "POP3" {* POP3 or APOP *}

 MailSignature =  "Mail.Sig.Text" {* text appended to every outgoing mail *}
 NewsSignature = "News.Sig.Text" {* text appended to every outgoing news posting
*}
 LeaveOnServer = Yes {* Mail.Panel leaves email on POP server when downloading *}
 TraceMail = No {* display mail protocol information in System.Log *}

 NewsThreading = Yes {* Newsreader keeps message threads together? *}
 NewsFont = Courier10.Scn.Fnt {* Font for news articles *}

 HTMLImages = No {* Download WWW images with background task? *}
    KeepURLs = Yes
    KeepCache = Yes

Quote:
}

(* profile for ny ISP (Sonic.Net) *)
MyHomeISP = {
 Init = { COM2  38400 }
 Dial = {
  "ATZ"
  10 "OK"
  "ATD 8689811"
  60 "CONNECT"
  CALL PPPMain.StartInst MyHomeISP sequitur
 }

Quote:
}

{* Dial script notes:
 o To define another ISP, copy this configuration and replace "DIAL" with the ISP
name, also in the NetSystem.Tool .
 o No comments allowed inside script
 o Dial script must end with CALL PPPMain.StartInst or CALL SLIP.StartDevice
 o The last wait string ("enabled") should be set to your ISP's "successful login"
message
 o To use PAP, replace the CALL with CALL "PPPMain.StartInst <provider> <user>"
and use

before dialling.
*}

  I greatly appreciate the assistance I am receiving in this newsgroup.

  Thank you.
   Bill

Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:38:41 GMT
 Wanted: real-life examples of working dialup scripts

Quote:

> > > You need to specify the version of Native Oberon.

> >    Thank you.

> >    Native Oberon Beta 08.12.00 [Dec 8, * 2000* ?]

> >    Did I install the wrong version of Oberon?

> As for most things in life there's no RIGHT version.
> I've recently gone back to V 2.3.6 for heavy internet use, since Beta & Alpha
> crash (nearly as bad as M$) when I download lots of email, News and
> http in one session - (confirmed on different machines).

> The whole justification for Alpha/Beta versions is to use testers (us)
> to find bugs.  But I'm not convinced that ETH has put in place the
> management systems to coordinate:
> * those that find the bugs through heavy useage,
> * those that fix the found bugs,
> * those that test the fixes through heavy useage,
> * the communication system, so that those who find bugs can decide
>    whether to allocate their resource to fix (perhaps) already fixed bugs.
> * those that design the 'top' (canonical) structure eg.
>   that each app. has exactly one *.Tool and one *.Text ;
>   and that an ample description of the contibutions exists in the
>   ReadMe without needing to descend multi-levels into the search
>   tree and open zips/Arcs to read something that is perhaps/not of interest.

  All the more reason to make sure that Native Oberon comes equipped with
"bulletproof" internet-connectivity software, wouldn't you say?

Quote:

> >    Also, I seem not to have saved a copy of the original Oberon.Text

> >    It the original Oberon.Text available to me, or would I have to
> > reinstall Oberon from scratch?

> If you've [Store]-ed only once it's still available as Oberon.Text.Bak ,
> else reinstall (best to another partition) is easy ?

> -- Chris Glur.

   I would prefer to be able to simply copy the original if I knew where it was.

   Can I get at it by mounting Oberon0.dsk. I wonder.

-- db

Sat, 16 Oct 2004 02:18:06 GMT
 Wanted: real-life examples of working dialup scripts

Quote:

> > >    Also, I seem not to have saved a copy of the original Oberon.Text

> > >    It the original Oberon.Text available to me, or would I have to
> > > reinstall Oberon from scratch?

> > If you've [Store]-ed only once it's still available as Oberon.Text.Bak ,
> > else reinstall (best to another partition) is easy ?

>  I would prefer to be able to simply copy the original if I knew where it was.

>    Can I get at it by mounting Oberon0.dsk. I wonder.

Well I guess that Oberon0.dsk has *an* Oberon.Text ?
If System.Directory Oberon.Text\d shows the same size, I guess it
might be the 'full' version ?

What the big problem to just make another full installation ?

Since Oberon.Text is so central to the whole OS it should be
'well respected'.

Remember that dial-out has to get over several hurdles:
1. modem can be 'strange',
2. ISP can be 'non spec' (I suspect that some ISPs are deliberately
   problematic for non-Microsloth users).

Modem, telco-line & ISP is a chain of analogue and timing
constraints, with plenty of scope for a failure.  A bit of a black art.

-- Chris Glur.

Sun, 17 Oct 2004 05:49:30 GMT

1. real life examples

2. real life examples

3. Need example of working tcl/tk script used as cgi-bin script

4. Conspiracy Theory’s real Script: Slave CIA, FBI change the story jews wanted to tell the media

5. ** Wanted: Blinker Script Example

6. NoChex APC example script wanted

7. Callback scripts for expect... examples wanted

8. Rexx script for dialup [OS/2]

9. Dialup connection from tcl script

10. real life APL-systems

11. MOP in real life?