why?
Author Message
 why?

A few questions:
(Systems involved Mac, RS6000, Sparc (X11))

Why does Math.pi vary from Sytem to System, and
why is it never the rounded version of MathL.pi?

Why does System.ShowComands ^ load the module
it is asked about? (Because of this it executes
the initialisation part of the module...)

Why do "standard" utilities like  Browser.ShowDef
produce different Output, e.g. the Mac version shows
"*" after all exported things (otherwise they wouldn't
show up anyway) and the RS6000 version doesn't...
Or is Browser simply one of the very low level modules
(since it exports differnt procedures on different systems)
anyway, I'd sure like the output to be consistent to make
it parsable across systems...

Please enlighten me ;-)
  Lothar

P.S.: I don't mind german answers directly to

Sun, 19 May 1996 21:46:41 GMT
 why?

Quote:

>A few questions:
>(Systems involved Mac, RS6000, Sparc (X11))

I've only used the various DOS  ports, but I'll stick my neck out
anyway.

Quote:

>Why does Math.pi vary from Sytem to System, and
>why is it never the rounded version of MathL.pi?

Different hardware platforms may use different floating point
representations for REAL and LONGREAL numbers.

Quote:

>Why do "standard" utilities like  Browser.ShowDef
>produce different Output, e.g. the Mac version shows
>"*" after all exported things (otherwise they wouldn't
>show up anyway) and the RS6000 version doesn't...
>Or is Browser simply one of the very low level modules
>(since it exports differnt procedures on different systems)
>anyway, I'd sure like the output to be consistent to make
>it parsable across systems...

Some ports of the Oberon system implement the Oberon-2 language, while
others implement "plain vanilla" Oberon.  This may be the source of
some of the differences since Oberon-2 can export identifiers in two
different ways.
--
Ph-nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Sat, 25 May 1996 08:49:58 GMT

1. why why why oh why why baby

2. Why, Why Why????

3. why why why (mouse related question)

4. Why, oh why?

5. Enterprise Edition - Why/Why not???

6. Why (or why not) one module per file?

7. Why o why

8. Why TCL? Why Scripting

9. why TCL and why not TCL with JAVA

10. Why Python is like BASIC (and why this is a good thing)

11. The Smalltalk Store: Why we've been slow, and why we're getting better

12. Why Why Why: "exec dir" difference between win3.1 and win95