NEW RELEASE: Linz Oberon V4, Release 2.1
Author Message
 NEW RELEASE: Linz Oberon V4, Release 2.1

Dear Oberon Users

We'd like to announce a new release of the Linz distribution of Oberon
V4.

Since the last release there have again been some bugfixes. Furthermore
there is a list of add-ons that are now distributed with the system:

- a new run-time de{*filter*}
- a highly improved heap inspector (e.g., it is possible to trace
allocation
  and collection of objects)
- a tool for defragmenting the heap
- a profiler with improved profiling accuracy
- an updated version of the decoder
- a new backup tool, a new option for asciicoding whole directories
- stand-alone clients for FTP, Mail (still rather poor), NetNews
- an updated version of the Web browser with integration of
  - FTP,
  - Mail, and
  - NetNews
- modules for accessing ODBC databases with support for embedded SQL
- the game Minesweeper (thanks to Ralf Degner)
- XE (thanks to Stefan Ludwig)
- a ray tracer

It is now also possible:
- to start multiple Oberon sessions from within the same directory
- to run Oberon in a window that does not use the entire screen by
supplying
  the command line parameters width and height
  (e.g., oberon -width 1024 -height 768)

The new release can be found on:

  http://www.*-*-*.com/
  ftp://ftp.ssw.uni-linz.ac.at/pub/Oberon/Windows/win95/

Kind Regards,

V4 Developer Team at Johannes Kepler University Linz

Linz, 25 February 1997

Sat, 14 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 NEW RELEASE: Linz Oberon V4, Release 2.1

Hi!
Sorry for my poor English. Tell me please about differences between
Oberon/F  & Oberon V4
I  support (electronic version) non-commerce project  "Pushkin ( Great
Russian poet) day by day"
and I'm looking for suitable (N.Wirth compatible ;-)) programming
environment  for creating hypertext editor/search system with
desktop/client -server database support(SQL).
I know  about  Oberon/F:
1.      big price:  about $1.500 (with SQL subsystem)
2.      fine & smart Links, Folds, Document - oriented environment
3.      Easy distribution & weight-light package

What about Oberon V4:
1 ..........

                                                                 fidonet:
2:5020/163.0)

Sun, 15 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 NEW RELEASE: Linz Oberon V4, Release 2.1

Quote:

> Hi!
> Sorry for my poor English. Tell me please about differences between
> Oberon/F  & Oberon V4
> I  support (electronic version) non-commerce project  "Pushkin ( Great
> Russian poet) day by day"
> and I'm looking for suitable (N.Wirth compatible ;-)) programming
> environment  for creating hypertext editor/search system with
> desktop/client -server database support(SQL).
> I know  about  Oberon/F:
> 1.      big price:  about $1.500 (with SQL subsystem)
> 2.      fine & smart Links, Folds, Document - oriented environment
> 3.      Easy distribution & weight-light package

Oberon/F is probably the development system that you should favour if
you want to develop commercial software - mostly because of the
"slightly non-standard user interface" of Oberon V4.

Quote:
> What about Oberon V4:

Oberon/F stems from earlier ETH Oberon systems - most of the ideas
originated in either the Oberon V4 or the Oberon System 3. One
difference of Oberon/F and Oberon V4 is the price: Oberon V4 is for free
(inclusive an SQL subsystem). The other features mentioned above exist
under both systems (like smart Links, Folds, compound documents, Web
browser, etc.). What you do not have under Oberon V4 is support for OLE
(or a Direct-To-COM compiler). Oberon/F is more likely to incorporate
market-oriented features into their future releases. This cannot be
expected of systems that are developed as a means for research and
education (and private use, of course).

The decision is up to you - and I admit that this decision is a {*filter*}e
as I cannot foresee the future of Oberon/F, Oberon V4 (and neither of
Oberon System 3).

Bye,
        Christoph

P.S.: Of course, what I like most is "my" Oberon V4 system ;-)

--
!-------------------------------------------------------------!
! Univ.-Ass. DDipl.-Ing. Christoph Steindl                    !

! www: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;          !
!-------------------------------------------------------------!

Sun, 15 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 NEW RELEASE: Linz Oberon V4, Release 2.1

Quote:
> We'd like to announce a new release of the Linz distribution of Oberon
> V4.

> Since the last release there have again been some bugfixes. Furthermore
> there is a list of add-ons that are now distributed with the system:

> - an updated version of the Web browser with integration of
>   - FTP,
>   - Mail, and
>   - NetNews

I grabbed the Linux Linz release from Robert Lichtenberg's site,
        "http://sport1.uibk.ac.at/tanis/"
the sources to the Solaris2 SPARC environment,
NNTP.Mod, NetNews.Mod, NetNewsElems.Mod from the new Linz release,
and TCP.Mod from
        http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~mcintosh/Oberon/SolTCP.Cod
and was able to use the new news reader on a SPARC.

The TCP module is not completed, but it did support the Linz newsreader.
This article is posted from that environment!

-- Aubrey McIntosh.

Sat, 28 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. New release of Linz Oberon V4 Release 2.2

2. Update to the new Oberon V4 release from the Linz group

3. New freeware Oberon System V4 for OS/2 2.1 released

4. New Oberon System 3 Release 2.1

5. New Oberon System 3 Release 2.1 - September 4.

6. Linz V4 is the official Oberon V4

7. Oberon V4 Linux new release

8. New Oberon V4 for Windows 95/NT Release

9. New Oberon PowerMac V4 release 2.0

10. NEW RELEASE: Oberon System 3, Release 2.2

11. NEW RELEASE: Oberon System 3, Release 2.2

12. Oberon V4 for Linux Release 1.5