MacOberon people: how exploit vector processing of G4 (3x Pentium III/600)
Author Message
 MacOberon people: how exploit vector processing of G4 (3x Pentium III/600)

Quote:

> Hi folks

Hello!

Quote:
> the G4 CPU of Motorola offering vector processing has just come out in
> the new Apple boxes ( http://www.*-*-*.com/ ) and appears to be 3 times
> as fast as the Pentium III/600, for some functions even 10x, with a
> Gigaflop computing power.

> Unfortunately, currently everything is tuned towards C/C++
> ( http://www.*-*-*.com/ ).

Well, taking a page from the OOC folks, since this would be a Mac
specific enhancement why not use a link to a C library?  That
would at least get you up and running quick as you defined the
interface to the library.

Beyond that, I noticed that some of the papers as the site you
referrenced gave quite detailed discussions of opcodes for this
new superprocessor.  I'm not sure what goes into added new opcodes
to the inline assembler for MacOberon (there is one isn't there?)
but that would seem to be the logical solution if you wanted a
solution that would work on, say, a PowerPC Native Oberon
implementation.

Quote:
> How could we exploit this massive computation power ?

> My ideas:

> General library modules for

> -array computation (Al Freed is working on the PC side)

> -signal processing tools

> hiding vector processing at a low level, that can be optimized for

> PC (use of MMX) or PPC (use of Altivec vector processing) or existing
> vector-supercomputers( ... ).

> A system extension allowing access to the parallel routines from
> within Oberon, similar to the existing Quicktime module could be a
> quick start.

> What are your thoughts?

> Patrick

Sounds like a plan!  Put together a set of interfaces for what you've
described and let MMX and Altivec competent programs have at it!

Also, some time ago I got an email from a "Patrick" about a high
level array processing module.  Are you the same person?  If so,
how is that project going?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 04 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. MacOberon people: how exploit vector processing of G4 (3x Pentium III/600)

2. Performance of Personal PL/I on a Thinkpad 600 (300MHz Pentium II)

3. Performance of Personal PL/I on a Thinkpad 600 (300MHz Pentium II)

4. FORTRAN on dual CPU Pentium II or Pentium III

5. Clarion DOS 3.1 and Pentium III, W98

6. Pentium III Chips Released with IDs - Intel won't budge

7. Pentium III chips released - Germans already have crack for ID feature

8. Pentium III Chips Released with IDs - Intel won't budge

9. Pentium III chips released - Germans already have crack for ID feature

10. Pentium III Chips Released with IDs - Intel won't budge

11. Germans Find Pentium III Flaw - Your privacy - Expires 2/28/99

12. DOS (Clarion) Programs won't run on Pentium II or III