Native Oberon on 486 Laptop
Author Message
 Native Oberon on 486 Laptop

I have a laptop with a 486 CPU and 8MB of memory.  Currently, it's running
DOS and GEM for the GUI.  Overall I like it, but really, it's limiting not
having an integrated environment to work with.

I tried to install Native Oberon on it, and oberon-0 came up just dandy.
Yet, after installation, Oberon itself wouldn't work right.  The problem is
the video interface.  The environment works fine, I just can't see anything.
Depending on how I configure the video settings, I get a black screen (and a
complete system lockup), or I see a really, itsy {*filter*}sie tiny screen
replicated eight times across the display.

The chipset in the laptop is Chips&Technology.  Unfortunately, that's all
the information I have.  No part numbers show in the BIOS sign-on screen.
It's a Toshiba Satellite laptop, monochrome display.  I'm at work now, and
don't have the laptop with me.  If need be, I can give more details when I
return home later tonight.

I've tried using VESA, I've tried using stock VGA, etc. -- nothing would
work.  Yet, oberon0 works just fine.  Is there a way to get oberon0's video
code working in Native Oberon?  That's pretty much all I'd need, I think --
I'm just going to use it to write a metronome application, and keep track of
my various D&D character sheets.  :)

Thanks.

--
KC5TJA/6, DM13, QRP-L #1447
Samuel A. Falvo II

Mon, 06 Oct 2003 01:56:02 GMT
 Native Oberon on 486 Laptop

Quote:
> The chipset in the laptop is Chips&Technology.  Unfortunately, that's all
> the information I have.

Try running the vesainfo.exe program available at:
  ftp://ftp.inf.ethz.ch/pub/ETHOberon/Contrib/Native/

You can run it with "vesainfo >tmp.txt" on DOS and mail me the tmp.txt file.
Perhaps I can suggest another driver to use then.

Quote:
> I've tried using VESA, I've tried using stock VGA, etc. -- nothing would
> work.  Yet, oberon0 works just fine.  Is there a way to get oberon0's video
> code working in Native Oberon?  That's pretty much all I'd need, I think --
> I'm just going to use it to write a metronome application, and keep track of
> my various D&D character sheets.  :)

Yes.  Select the "Standard VGA" display driver when installing.

-- Pieter

--
Pieter Muller, Institute for Computer Systems, ETH Zurich
Native Oberon OS: http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/native/

Mon, 06 Oct 2003 16:07:12 GMT
 Native Oberon on 486 Laptop

Quote:
>You can run it with "vesainfo >tmp.txt" on DOS and mail me the tmp.txt file.
>Perhaps I can suggest another driver to use then.

I will try this tonight.

Quote:
>Yes.  Select the "Standard VGA" display driver when installing.

As I've previously indicated, that option did not work for me.  What happens
when choosing that option is I get a white screen, and across the middle of
the screen, I have eight copies of what *should* be the screen, only 1/8th
in size (horizontally, and presumably, vertically).

It's almost as if the video architecture is assuming the display to be 256
colors, even though I'm trying to tell it otherwise.  Yes, I have read the
docs, and no, they didn't help.  :)

--
KC5TJA/6, DM13, QRP-L #1447
Samuel A. Falvo II

Tue, 07 Oct 2003 06:39:38 GMT

1. Oberon on 486 card in Acorn RiscPC 600

2. Oberon on 486 card ...

3. Problem with Oberon and 486/DOS 5 (response)

4. Oberon System 3 / Native Oberon projects

5. inquiry about Visual Oberon/PC Native Oberon System 3

6. Native Oberon: Getting DOS based installation out of Oberon-0

7. Oberon-2 in Native Oberon System 3

8. POLL: Interest in PC Oberon (Native Oberon)

9. Intel 486 vs AMD 486

10. SOFTWARE: Native XDS-x86 v2.20 (Modula-2/Oberon-2 compiler)

11. USB Zip drive under BlueBottle or Native Oberon?

12. USB Zip drive under BlueBottle or Native Oberon?