SPARC Oberon3 trying to start Gadgets
Author Message
 SPARC Oberon3 trying to start Gadgets

Just downloaded Oberon3 for SPARC. Tried starting up Gadgets according to
the documentation. System reports the error "Views imports Kernel with bad key".
Huh?

Mon, 19 Feb 1996 02:08:59 GMT
 SPARC Oberon3 trying to start Gadgets

Quote:

>Just downloaded Oberon3 for SPARC. Tried starting up Gadgets according to
>the documentation. System reports the error "Views imports Kernel with bad key".
>Huh?

It sounds like you may have installed the new version on top of an older
version.  This message indicates that the 'key' (a time stamp) that Views
is expecting to be found in the Kernel.Obj file was incorrect.  The only
time this key will change is when the symbol file changes.  If the symbol
file has changed, you are using and you receive this error, it means you
are trying to link with an obsolete (read: older, not necessarily
obsolete) version of Kernel.Obj.

days for a response....

Taylor "Will work for a job" Hutt
Imbedded SQL programming is BORING!

Mon, 19 Feb 1996 06:06:32 GMT
 SPARC Oberon3 trying to start Gadgets

Quote:

>>Just downloaded Oberon3 for SPARC. Tried starting up Gadgets according to
>>the documentation. System reports the error "Views imports Kernel with bad key".
>>Huh?
>It sounds like you may have installed the new version on top of an older
>version.  This message indicates that the 'key' (a time stamp) that Views
>is expecting to be found in the Kernel.Obj file was incorrect.  The only
>time this key will change is when the symbol file changes.  If the symbol
>file has changed, you are using and you receive this error, it means you
>are trying to link with an obsolete (read: older, not necessarily
>obsolete) version of Kernel.Obj.

True, but I think that in this case the problem can be solved by
"reorganisation" of the directories that contain oberon files, ie
Oberon's search path (env variable OBERON). Make sure that it doesn't
contain and pre System3 directories, or at least that they are listed
after the ones containing System3 files. Also make sure that your
personal oberondirectory(ies) doesn't contain any "system files" (ie
if you've for example modified System.Tool to accomodate your own
Tools or to get rid of that annoying ! in front of System.Quit you
need to perform your own changes to the new System.Tool supplied with
System3 and get rid of the pre System3 version). The problem should
cease to exist if you take these points into account, or at least it
did for me.

-- eric
--
                        No story??? No smooch!!!???!!!
                                        - Hobbes, first tiger -

Mon, 19 Feb 1996 18:29:36 GMT
 SPARC Oberon3 trying to start Gadgets

Quote:

> It sounds like you may have installed the new version on top of an older
> version.  This message indicates that the 'key' (a time stamp) that Views
> is expecting to be found in the Kernel.Obj file was incorrect.  The only
> time this key will change is when the symbol file changes.  If the symbol
> file has changed, you are using and you receive this error, it means you
> are trying to link with an obsolete (read: older, not necessarily
> obsolete) version of Kernel.Obj.

> days for a response....

Thanks to all who responded. That was indeed the problem, and everything is
working *just* fine now. Very impressive, too.

Mon, 19 Feb 1996 22:51:53 GMT

1. gadgets for SPARC oberon ?

2. try gfdg try kuiou try gsdfas try

3. trying to compile tclkit: 64-bit SPARC 8.5a4

4. ISO: SPARC Solaris users to try out a short tk script

5. ISO: bright ideas for developer trying to use alternate input methods on Solaris SPARC

6. Win/NT Oberon3

7. Mac: it tries to connect to Internet when started

8. 16 bit subsystem Error when trying to Start Clarion 5.5EE H and Clarion 6 EA3

9. Trying to start in COBOL coding

10. trying to get started with PIL

11. Trying to get started with sdx...

12. trying to get started using parallel