POLL: Interest in PC Oberon (Native Oberon) 
Author Message
 POLL: Interest in PC Oberon (Native Oberon)

I'm very interested.

Philip Kane



Sat, 27 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT  
 POLL: Interest in PC Oberon (Native Oberon)

We are considering to release PC Oberon, an implementation of
Oberon System 3 version 2.0 which runs on the bare PC with no
underlying operating system.  The system is currently being
tested in our institute.

If you are interested in PC Oberon, please send me email.  If there
is enough interest, I will prepare a release version of the system.

Pieter Muller
Institute for Computer Systems
ETH Zurich

"http://huxley.inf.ethz.ch/~muller"



Sat, 27 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT  
 POLL: Interest in PC Oberon (Native Oberon)

Quote:

> We are considering to release PC Oberon, an implementation of
> Oberon System 3 version 2.0 which runs on the bare PC with no
> underlying operating system.  The system is currently being
> tested in our institute.

> If you are interested in PC Oberon, please send me email.  If there
> is enough interest, I will prepare a release version of the system.

> Pieter Muller
> Institute for Computer Systems
> ETH Zurich

> "http://huxley.inf.ethz.ch/~muller"


I am interested.

When you release this software: please remember of underdeveloped V4 users,
by providing a smooth upgrade path, esp. concerning Edit documents. Ideally,
the whole Edit package (with Elements!) should find its way into System-3.
I would be happy to open my V4 Texts, and to see Fold, Stamp and Popup
elements in place. A conversion tool would be fine, but just opening
would be even better.

The reverse should also be true, as long as there are platforms unsupported
by the System-3 project (e.g., Unix platforms). By reverse I mean being
able to export a document from System-3 in a V4 format.

Just a practical consideration.

Wojtek



Sun, 28 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT  
 POLL: Interest in PC Oberon (Native Oberon)

Quote:
>I'm very interested.

>Philip Kane

Me Too!

Fermat Ma



Tue, 30 Dec 1997 03:00:00 GMT  
 POLL: Interest in PC Oberon (Native Oberon)
Put me in for an oberon compiler for MS-DOS (x86)!
Give me DOS,or give me ... (well maybe linux). :-)

I prefer to write applications which work under the
OS running on the computer vice a virtual OS (System3,
or System4) running on top of the real OS.  This is
especially true if you want to sell the applications,
or just give to friends.

Peter
-----



Mon, 05 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 POLL: Interest in PC Oberon (Native Oberon)


Quote:
 writes:
> Put me in for an oberon compiler for MS-DOS (x86)!
> Give me DOS,or give me ... (well maybe linux). :-)

  There is a whole bunch of these, did you not know?

This reminds me, that Taylor "Internetless" Hutt distributes
his DOS compiler as an .EXE file separate from the V4 environment
he also distributes. This makes me think his compiler is half way
through to being independent from the Oberon System. It might even
be able to run in another environment of some sort, what may speak
to those who cannot swallow 3-button mice. Say, a text-based
framework a'la early Turbo Pascal, or even emacs. Any comments?

Wojtek



Wed, 07 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 POLL: Interest in PC Oberon (Native Oberon)


Quote:



> writes:
>> Put me in for an oberon compiler for MS-DOS (x86)!
>> Give me DOS,or give me ... (well maybe linux). :-)

>  There is a whole bunch of these, did you not know?

>This reminds me, that Taylor "Internetless" Hutt distributes

Yes, I resemble that remark... although it is not entirely true.

Quote:
>his DOS compiler as an .EXE file separate from the V4 environment
>he also distributes. This makes me think his compiler is half way
>through to being independent from the Oberon System. It might even
>be able to run in another environment of some sort,

No, not precise.  The compiler was used only for bootstrapping; it still
produces Oberon object modules.  It's also hopelessly outdated (bug fixes,
object module format changes) so that it won't work with the currently
distributed system.

Quote:

>Wojtek

Anyone got the new addresses for the ETH distribution sites?

Taylor Hutt
The intersection of my and my employers opinions yield the empty set.



Sat, 10 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 7 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. inquiry about Visual Oberon/PC Native Oberon System 3

2. Oberon System 3 / Native Oberon projects

3. Native Oberon: Getting DOS based installation out of Oberon-0

4. Oberon-2 in Native Oberon System 3

5. The future of PC Native Oberon

6. Native Oberon System and Cheap PCs

7. booting PC Native Oberon

8. ANNOUNCE: PC Native Oberon 2.3.2

9. PC Native Oberon PPP

10. PC Native Oberon page updated

11. PC Native Oberon

12. Native Oberon PC

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software