Purpose of newsgroups RE: Newsgroup with Near Death Experience
Author Message
 Purpose of newsgroups RE: Newsgroup with Near Death Experience

Quote:

>> "Christof Brass" wrote

>> | You can participate in NGs or you can develop.

>> Yes, and you can do both.
>> But not both in a NG. If you start a project you would better move to a
>> special accommodation such as provided by the sourceforge

>> | Anyway I don't share your opinion. NGs are also a platform for starting
>> development projects

>> Yes, to start it, but not to do it. Better accommodation exist.

>> | and share ideas about implementing something or how a programming problem
>> should be solved.

>> Yes, that is the "discussion" I was talking about.

>> | BTW if you continue hiding your identity your statements won't be taken
>> seriously.

>> If you were to know me by the name John or Pete instead of Bluefin, you
>> would not know anymore about me. Only the people who know be personally
>> would.

>Identity is of course not only the name but also location, background,
ideas/goals aso.
>If you continue to play the dumb guy who is unable to count on three you

wouldn't get many friends here.

For the record I used to post using the alias Mycroft.  If you look in the
comp.lang.oberon.  When I started using my real name that didn't change
me or what I said.  It was just as valuable (or invaluable) either way.

Quote:
>> I plan to post a few articles that will not be that friendly, an other
>> reason to remain anonymous.

That's not a good motive for using an alias.  Using an alias like "Bluefin"
or "Mycroft" because you like it is a good reason.  "Spam proofing" your
email
is a good motive.  But using a alias because you want to post "unfriendly"
articles is silly.

Quote:
>So what? Better behave normal or, please, please shut up and don't spoil this

NG. Do it somewhere else.

Quote:

>> And I hope to be taken seriously for the contents of my articles, not for
my
>> name.

Well you won't be taken seriously after admitting that you use an alias so
that you can post "unfriendly articles".  I could care less about whether
your articles are "friendly" or not.  I could care less whether you use an
alias or not.  But using an alias because you don't want to attach your name
to the content of your articles is silly.

Quote:
>There isn't any content so far. The name is ridiculous. The attitude also.

Shut up! Stay out here! {*filter*} off! {*filter*} off! {*filter*} off! ...

Uh...Chris...I understand your exasperation, but that type of flaming only
exacerbates things.

Quote:
>> By the way : I posted an article saying there wasn't enough intellectual
>> depth in this NG and you respond by saying that we should have more apps.
>> That is a little bit funny, isn't it?

So why not contribute some intellectual depth instead of just complaining
about the lack of it?  Personally I think that the "help me with my program"
questions are VERY MUCH in line with what Usenet is for.  In fact if you
read the C++ and Java newsgroups the VAST MAJORITY of the articles are
"how do I do such and such" as opposed to "what philisophical direction
do you think this language should take."  The fact that someone asks a
question about how to do something in Oberon proves that they are actually
DOING something with it as opposed to philosophying about it.  Plus you
never know how someone's answer to one of these questions might help someone
else.  There is a reason that Linux distributions have a "HOW-TO" section.

Guns don't kill people...bullets do
(Pistol {*filter*} exception already noted)

Sun, 31 Aug 2003 02:00:24 GMT
 Purpose of newsgroups RE: Newsgroup with Near Death Experience

| For the record I used to post using the alias Mycroft.  If you look in the
| comp.lang.oberon.  When I started using my real name that didn't change
| me or what I said.  It was just as valuable (or invaluable) either way.

Ok. Also my point.

| But using an alias because you don't want to attach your name
| to the content of your articles is silly.

You might be right. But as I said, the only people for whom my name is
significant are those in my immediate neighbourhood. So I prefer to remain
anonymous.

| Personally I think that the "help me with my program"
| questions are VERY MUCH in line with what Usenet is for.  In fact if you
| read the C++ and Java newsgroups the VAST MAJORITY of the articles are
| "how do I do such and such" as opposed to "what philisophical direction
| do you think this language should take."

If you would have a look at my very first posting you would see that I

    As such nothing wrong, but I think a newsgroup should also discuss ...

meaning that I do not exclude questions. I only think there should be more.
At least on the Oberon NG

That we don't expect C++ or Java NGs to carry such discussions is another
matter. I do not consider what those people do to be a guideline for us.

| The fact that someone asks a
| question about how to do something in Oberon proves that they are actually
| DOING something with it as opposed to philosophying about it.

Is there something wrong with philosophying?

--
Bluefin

Sun, 31 Aug 2003 03:19:23 GMT
 Purpose of newsgroups RE: Newsgroup with Near Death Experience

Quote:

>| For the record I used to post using the alias Mycroft.  If you look in the
>| comp.lang.oberon.  When I started using my real name that didn't change
>| me or what I said.  It was just as valuable (or invaluable) either way.

>Ok. Also my point.

>| But using an alias because you don't want to attach your name
>| to the content of your articles is silly.

>You might be right. But as I said, the only people for whom my name is
>significant are those in my immediate neighbourhood. So I prefer to remain
>anonymous.

Well if you're like me the likelyhood that any of your personal aquantences
read comp.lang.oberon is pretty slim.  :-)  I do recall once someone that
I ran into at the arcade back in university said they liked one of my
articles.
And that was when I was using the Mycroft alias.  Go figure!  (I think he
keyed me off of my email address.)

Quote:
>| Personally I think that the "help me with my program"
>| questions are VERY MUCH in line with what Usenet is for.  In fact if you
>| read the C++ and Java newsgroups the VAST MAJORITY of the articles are
>| "how do I do such and such" as opposed to "what philisophical direction
>| do you think this language should take."

>If you would have a look at my very first posting you would see that I

>    As such nothing wrong, but I think a newsgroup should also discuss ...

>meaning that I do not exclude questions. I only think there should be more.
>At least on the Oberon NG

>That we don't expect C++ or Java NGs to carry such discussions is another
>matter. I do not consider what those people do to be a guideline for us.

>| The fact that someone asks a
>| question about how to do something in Oberon proves that they are actually
>| DOING something with it as opposed to philosophying about it.

>Is there something wrong with philosophying?

>--
>Bluefin

No, there's nothing wrong with philosophying, as long as it's kept in
perspective.  You're not going to change anything in the programming world
by mere impassioned writing or arguments no matter how well thought out
they may be.  When the air clears and the dust settles somebody still has
to code something.  There have been times in the past where I wrote many
ideas of what "could" be done.  Some were met with enthusiasm, some were
met with ridicule.  But in only the ideas that I actually DID anything
about saw any progress.  There are some ideas that I haven't mentioned to
the group because I wasn't in a position to do much with them.  Perhaps I
should go ahead and kick them out there anyway, but I'm at the point of
my life where I want to see some results.

Guns don't kill people...bullets do
(Pistol {*filter*} exception already noted)

Sun, 31 Aug 2003 03:38:11 GMT
> [...]

> >> That is a little bit funny, isn't it?

> So why not contribute some intellectual depth instead of just complaining
> about the lack of it?  Personally I think that the "help me with my program"
> questions are VERY MUCH in line with what Usenet is for.  In fact if you
> read the C++ and Java newsgroups the VAST MAJORITY of the articles are
> "how do I do such and such" as opposed to "what philisophical direction
> do you think this language should take."  The fact that someone asks a
> question about how to do something in Oberon proves that they are actually
> DOING something with it as opposed to philosophying about it.  Plus you
> never know how someone's answer to one of these questions might help someone
> else.  There is a reason that Linux distributions have a "HOW-TO" section.

> Guns don't kill people...bullets do
> (Pistol {*filter*} exception already noted)

A warm, heartful, greatful and thankful *thanks*!

Sun, 31 Aug 2003 19:54:38 GMT
 Purpose of newsgroups RE: Newsgroup with Near Death Experience

Quote:

> >| For the record I used to post using the alias Mycroft.  If you look in the
> >| comp.lang.oberon.  When I started using my real name that didn't change
> >| me or what I said.  It was just as valuable (or invaluable) either way.

> >Ok. Also my point.

> >| But using an alias because you don't want to attach your name
> >| to the content of your articles is silly.

> >You might be right. But as I said, the only people for whom my name is
> >significant are those in my immediate neighbourhood. So I prefer to remain
> >anonymous.

> Well if you're like me the likelyhood that any of your personal aquantences
> read comp.lang.oberon is pretty slim.  :-)  I do recall once someone that
> I ran into at the arcade back in university said they liked one of my
> articles.
> And that was when I was using the Mycroft alias.  Go figure!  (I think he
> keyed me off of my email address.)

> >| Personally I think that the "help me with my program"
> >| questions are VERY MUCH in line with what Usenet is for.  In fact if you
> >| read the C++ and Java newsgroups the VAST MAJORITY of the articles are
> >| "how do I do such and such" as opposed to "what philisophical direction
> >| do you think this language should take."

> >If you would have a look at my very first posting you would see that I

> >    As such nothing wrong, but I think a newsgroup should also discuss ...

> >meaning that I do not exclude questions. I only think there should be more.
> >At least on the Oberon NG

> >That we don't expect C++ or Java NGs to carry such discussions is another
> >matter. I do not consider what those people do to be a guideline for us.

> >| The fact that someone asks a
> >| question about how to do something in Oberon proves that they are actually
> >| DOING something with it as opposed to philosophying about it.

> >Is there something wrong with philosophying?

> >--
> >Bluefin

> No, there's nothing wrong with philosophying, as long as it's kept in
> perspective.  You're not going to change anything in the programming world
> by mere impassioned writing or arguments no matter how well thought out
> they may be.  When the air clears and the dust settles somebody still has
> to code something.  There have been times in the past where I wrote many
> ideas of what "could" be done.  Some were met with enthusiasm, some were
> met with ridicule.  But in only the ideas that I actually DID anything
> about saw any progress.  There are some ideas that I haven't mentioned to
> the group because I wasn't in a position to do much with them.  Perhaps I
> should go ahead and kick them out there anyway, but I'm at the point of
> my life where I want to see some results.

> Guns don't kill people...bullets do
> (Pistol {*filter*} exception already noted)

THNX!

Sun, 31 Aug 2003 19:57:43 GMT

1. Newsgroup with Near Death Experience

2. Oberon missed opportunities RE: Newsgroup with Near Death Experience

3. Keeping both groups happy...RE: Newsgroup with Near Death Experience

4. X-Newsgroups and Newsgroups headers

5. Newsgroup with a Revival Experience

6. !! Urgent Reports Question (A.S.A.P) Near Death !!

7. Interested in a CFD Newsgroup? (was: CALL FOR VOTES - CFD Newsgroup)

8. comp.lang.smalltalk.advocacy, FINAL NOTICE of Newsgroup Removal

9. How do you access this newsgroup??

10. Looking for testers of the Newsgroup server

11. ANN: New newsgroup on Totally Objects news server

12. Update on Totally Objects public newsgroup