Function return values revisted (response to response)
Author Message
 Function return values revisted (response to response)

Quote:

> > 2) A function procedure is meant as a mathematical function.  A
> >    structured type cannot be used in an expression, so why do you need
>                      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> >    to return it?

> What about s3 := String.Append(s1, String.Append(s2, s3))?

> Terry Moore, Statistics Department, Massey University, New Zealand.

> A compass is as useful to a geometer as a scissor is to a tailor.

According to PIM 2nd Edition, structured returns are not allowed.
Only integral types are allowed.

Taylor "Where do these sayings come from?" Hutt
This space for rent.

Mon, 16 Oct 1995 07:54:10 GMT
 Function return values revisted (response to response)

Quote:

> > > 2) A function procedure is meant as a mathematical function.  A
> > >    structured type cannot be used in an expression, so why do you need
> >                      +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> > >    to return it?

> > What about s3 := String.Append(s1, String.Append(s2, s3))?
> According to PIM 2nd Edition, structured returns are not allowed.
> Only integral types are allowed.

I know, the question was about why the rule was made.
The point is that if one were allowed to return structured types
then we could write expressions like the above.
(BTW Concat would have been a better example than Append).
(s3 := s1 join s2 join s3; would be even better).

Terry Moore, Statistics Department, Massey University, New Zealand.

A compass is as useful to a geometer as a scissor is to a tailor.

Fri, 20 Oct 1995 08:41:10 GMT

1. Python 2.1.1 ASP/Response object does not HONOR Response.End()

2. httplib: response.read() vs response.read(size)

3. Slightly Off Topic : restrictions on the response part in a SOAP-response

4. Impulse Response Function PtByPt (Not in Base Package)

5. FRACTION function: strange response?

6. returning values through functions calls

7. return multiple values from an awk function?

8. returning values from a function in a shell script

9. multiple values in a return from function

10. function-return-values() in MacMarlais

11. multiple return values for functions

12. functions with more than one return values and local v