Oberon for Windows Apps?
Author Message
 Oberon for Windows Apps?

I am a long-time Modula-2 user who needs to do some Windows programming.
Unfortunately, I find that there is not adequate support for Windows
programming with any of the M2 compilers.  Can anyone tell me whether
Oberon or Oberon-2 for Windows is appropriate for generating high-quality
stand-alone Windows applications (i.e. that look and act just like other
Windows apps, not Oberon environment apps).  If so, does Oberon provide an
applications framework similar to borland's OWL or Microsoft's foundation
classes?

Tue, 03 Jun 1997 21:36:36 GMT
 Oberon for Windows Apps?

Quote:

>I am a long-time Modula-2 user who needs to do some Windows programming.
>Unfortunately, I find that there is not adequate support for Windows
>programming with any of the M2 compilers.  Can anyone tell me whether
>Oberon or Oberon-2 for Windows is appropriate for generating high-quality
>stand-alone Windows applications (i.e. that look and act just like other
>Windows apps, not Oberon environment apps).  If so, does Oberon provide an
>applications framework similar to borland's OWL or Microsoft's foundation
>classes?

You'll want to check out the recently announced Oberon/F system.  There
was a posting about it a few days ago in this snoozegroup.

Thu, 05 Jun 1997 03:18:05 GMT
 Oberon for Windows Apps?
You might want to look at Pow! (Programmers Oberon
Workbench).  It works with MS-Windows and can be used to
create native Windows applications (EXE's and DLL's).

    Ftp: ftp.fim.uni-linz.ac.at:/pub/soft/pow-oberon2, or
        galileo.meakins.mcgill.ca:/Oberon/CommercialDemos/POW

Fri, 06 Jun 1997 07:24:01 GMT
 Oberon for Windows Apps?

Quote:

>You might want to look at Pow! (Programmers Oberon
>Workbench).  It works with MS-Windows and can be used to
>create native Windows applications (EXE's and DLL's).

Great product. The educational version alone is quite useful. In the case
(unlikely, IMHO) that you manage to find out the price of the thing from
its authors, please let us know!

(FWIW, the documentation mentions an email address that doesn't seem to
answer, and gives no price info. At least that was my experience of a
few months ago. If the situation has changed, I'd love to hear about it...

-greg

Fri, 06 Jun 1997 09:18:48 GMT

1. Windows App run from Extended Mode App

2. Migrating DOS/Clipper Apps to Windows/Clipper Apps

3. Clarion 5 app, windows 98 and windows XP

4. Windows Fortran => Windows App

5. Everyday Oberon + real-time apps.

6. App-Ref: Need to break up a large App, App-Ref can help

7. "BlueBottle" Oberon for Windows

8. Trying to learn Oberon-2 for windows

9. Oberon V4 under Windows XP

10. Help converting images from Windows to Oberon

11. access to command line from Oberon for Windows

12. Oberon System 3 v2.3 for Windows screen won't maximize