Problem with ETH Native Oberon System 3
Author Message
 Problem with ETH Native Oberon System 3

Hallo!

I have just bought a new Harddisk to install
Native Oberon Release 2.3.2 on an own partition.

Harddisk: IBM DTTA 351010

Our first Disk is a 6GB Fijitsu Harddisk, and
this is a 10 GB IBM-Disk. Both are connected to
the same controller.

(Our computer is now 9 months old, has 64 MB Ram
and is running currently only Windows NT 4.0)

I have created a Oberon-0 Bootdisk and booted from it.

If I use Config.Disk Standard IDE, then only the first disk
is visible:

Disk0: 6181 Mb

Num    Disk    MB        Type Description
0*        0         502          7    C:HPFS,NTFS,...boot
1          0         5679        5    Extended
2          0         2996        7    D HPFS, NTFT
3          0          502         7    E HPFS, NTFT
4          0          502         7    F HPFS, NTFT
5          0          502         7    G HPFS, NTFT
6          0          502         7    H HPFS, NTFT
7          0          674         7    I  HPFS, NTFT

If I use Config.Disk ATA/EIDE, then I get:

Disk0: 6181 Mb
Disk2: 8056 Mb

Num    Disk    Mb    Type    Description
0*        0        502     7         c:HPFS,NTFS,...boot
1          0        5679   5         Extended
2          1        8048    -         *free*

In the Log-Viewer is written:
Disk 0: signature bad (02,77 instead of 55,AA)
on block 1028160

And the size of the second disk is wrong, it should be 10.1 GB.

Currently I dont know what I should do. Can
somebody help me? (I cant just test it, because this computer
is used by two other physicist beside me, and they will be angry
if I crash the harddisk.)

The next, not so dangerous problem is:
We have this graphic-card:
ATI Technologies Inc.

Chiptype: ATI 3D Rage Pro PCI
4MB Memory

Which driver should I select? There was something like
ATI 32 and ATI 64.

The last problem: When booting from floppy, when the
installation viewers appered, then the cursor keys does not work.
I can move the mouse, type text. But I cant move the curser with the
keyboard.

I hope this is enough information, and someone can help me.

Best regards

  Stefan Salewski

Sun, 08 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Problem with ETH Native Oberon System 3

Quote:

> If I use Config.Disk Standard IDE, then only the first disk
> is visible:

That driver only supports one IDE controller (primary by default).
The new ATA driver supports both EIDE controllers.

Quote:
> In the Log-Viewer is written:
> Disk 0: signature bad (02,77 instead of 55,AA)
> on block 1028160

I emailed you requesting more information.

Quote:
> And the size of the second disk is wrong, it should be 10.1 GB.

The current ATA driver does not support drives larger than 8Gb.  I will
get the chance to test a larger EIDE disk soon, and will fix the problem then.

Quote:
> ATI Technologies Inc.

> Chiptype: ATI 3D Rage Pro PCI
> 4MB Memory

> Which driver should I select? There was something like
> ATI 32 and ATI 64.

The current ATI Mach64 driver should work, but if not, try the Vesa 2.0
driver.

Quote:
> The last problem: When booting from floppy, when the
> installation viewers appered, then the cursor keys does not work.
> I can move the mouse, type text. But I cant move the curser with the
> keyboard.

That is a problem of the basic Oberon system.  The TextFrames do
not support cursor key movement, only mouse-driven navigation.  Most
people install Gadgets and use the Gadgets default editor (which supports
the cursor keys, PgUp, Home, etc.).  You can also use the ET editor,
which has some cursor key support.

Section 4(a) of System.Text explains how to install Gadgets as your
default user interface.

-- Pieter

--
Pieter Muller, Institute for Computer Systems, ETH Zurich
Native Oberon OS: http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/native/

Mon, 09 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Problem with ETH Native Oberon System 3
Quote:
>The current ATA driver does not support drives larger than 8Gb.  I will
>get the chance to test a larger EIDE disk soon, and will fix the problem

then.

I have a problem installing dos-based NO: when trying to boot it, it starts
playing sounds (which remind of Morse-code) through the PC speaker. Can the
8GB limit be the reason for that? I have an 8.4 GB IBM HDD.

Btw, I read about Native Oberon in this newsgroup and became curious about
it, I am looking forward to checking it out.

Greetings, MB

Mon, 09 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. New ETH Native Oberon home page

2. ANNOUNCE: ETH Native Oberon for PC available for testing

3. ETH Oberon Native font sizes

4. Oberon System 3 / Native Oberon projects

5. inquiry about Visual Oberon/PC Native Oberon System 3

6. Oberon-2 in Native Oberon System 3

7. Problem when installing Native Oberon System 3

8. Oberon system on native file system

9. Native Oberon System-3 on Linux GGI

10. Native Oberon System and Cheap PCs

11. Native Oberon file system