MacOberon V4-68k Sources available
Author Message
 MacOberon V4-68k Sources available

(as a further clarification wrt. my previous posting about Files, etc.)

The sources for the complete 680x0-based MacOberon V4 are now available as
standard parts of the software distribution. Included is also a Tool for
recompiling and re-linking the whole system, the Compiler, the BootLinker,
and even the commented MC68020 assembly sources of the BootLoader and the
Storage Allocator/Garbage Collector.

The release of the sources effectively brings the MacOberon V4 project to
an end. Future versions of MacOberon will support System 3 instead, which
has matured over the years and is now far superior to V4. MacOberon System
3 will be also be the future target platform for my own projects, such as
OMI.

Of course, any remaining errors in V4 will be corrected, and any comments
regarding the sources are warmly welcome. The Internet community is also
encouraged to add improvements to the released MacOberon system - for
example, you will see that my Oberon compiler is actually quite simple (I
am not releasing the optimizing variant yet :-) and could be improved
considerably. Please also note that you may not incorporate these sources
into products sold for direct commercial gain.

Thank you very much for your attention,
Michael Franz

Sat, 28 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 MacOberon V4-68k Sources available

Quote:

> The release of the sources effectively brings the MacOberon V4 project to
> an end. Future versions of MacOberon will support System 3 instead, which
> has matured over the years and is now far superior to V4. MacOberon System
> 3 will be also be the future target platform for my own projects, such as
> OMI.

Since you have made this very strong statement about System 3 being
far superior to V4, maybe you can explain this a little? In what sense
it is superior? I have heard, that System 3 proper is not that much
different from V4, and there are many more similarities than there are
differences. For example, both Systems offer single-process multitasking,
no multiprocessing nor multithreading, nor memory protection.
Both Systems implement the model of a single-user workstation, but they
do not yet address the issue of transparent distributed computing. To me,
all these seem to be pretty fundamental similarities. One can also call
them "limitations". To my understanding these limitations, common to both
System3 and V4, are far more important, than differences between the two.
Could you comment on this?

As far as GUIs are concerned, both Gadgets and Dialogs are add-ons.
Is there any fundamental reason, why Gadgets runs under System 3,
while Dialogs runs under V4? Or is it simply lack of time, why Gadgets
were not put on top of V4 yet, or vice versa, Dialogs on top of System 3?
If this is only a matter of time and effort, then in what sense one
System is superior to the other?

Wojtek

Sun, 29 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 MacOberon V4-68k Sources available
I am sorry - I retract the "far" in "far superior". I was actually
referring to the usability of the system. By now, more software exists for
System 3 than ever existed for Version 4. Hence, to most people, System 3
is more useful. Particularly for the developer, some of the packages of
System 3 (such as Watson) are really nice.

Michael

Mon, 30 Mar 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 MacOberon V4-68k Sources available

Quote:

>>> The release of the sources effectively brings the MacOberon V4 project to
>>> an end. Future versions of MacOberon will support System 3 instead, which
>>> has matured over the years and is now far superior to V4. MacOberon System
>>> 3 will be also be the future target platform for my own projects, such as
>>> OMI.

> So ETH only releases the sources to a project, at the point at which it
> orphans it.   Thats really going to get the language established.

I understand your post as sort of tongue-in-cheek. But I want to comment,
because I think it is an important issue. I believe it is very good they
publish the sources, but it is not good they orphan V4. Actually, a transition
from V4 to a new version is not bad as such. It happened in the past with
V1 and V2. What is bad, however, is that this time there is a discontinuity.
It seems that the new ("superior") version is unable to support V4 stuff.
Wonderful V4 things are simply thrown into the wastebasket, because somebody
decided, that backward compatibility is not important anymore. This decision
is now being thrown into the face of V4 users. Note, that whoever made this
decision did not ask user community for opinion. There was no poll in c.l.o,
no open discussion between users and the System designers (designers,
as opposed to developers), no upgrade path was offered. Apparently, System-3
designers decided that whatever users preferences are, they are not worth
serious consideration. This was not a problem, until System-3 was declared
to be the only future direction. After such a declaration was made, sooner
or later users will be forced to switch, even if they do not want to.

Quote:
> Why not release the sources for System3, after all its development has been
> paid for by public money.

This is a good question, but why are you making a point of public money?
All software developed in academia worldwide was paid for by the public.
X, GNU, Linux, you name it, were paid in part or in full by the public.
At the end the public benefits, there is no question about it.

Quote:
> Apologies if ETH do release source with each System3 release.   I've been
> following comp.lang.java more closely.

They do not release System 3 sources, as far as I know.

Wojtek
Paid by public money

Tue, 21 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. MacOberon V4-68k Sources available

2. Oberon System V4 Sources Have Been Made Available

3. Oberon System V4 Sources Have Been Made Available

4. MacOberon V4: Problem with NEW

5. MacOberon V4.01

6. Linz V4 on 68K Macs?

7. source/ref. on oberon or Macoberon

8. Source files for MacOberon

9. ?F83 ?68k ?source OR OR IF email THEN

10. Where is 68k Oberon source?

11. MacOberon - new Version available

12. MacOberon Version 4.1 available