Trigraphs in Oberon?
Author Message
 Trigraphs in Oberon?

Does the Oberon language support trigraphs like C++ at all?

Specifically, there seems to be no keyboard that supports accented
characters and C/C++ characters and Oberon characters. At the moment I use
a PC with a Canadian French keyboard layout, but the one thing it lacks is
the caret or circumflex character ^ (094 in ASCII codepage 850). In C++
this can be substituted for with ??'

Cheers,
--
Paul Floyd, Information Storage Research Group, Division of Electrical Eng.,
School of Engineering, University of Manchester

Fri, 02 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Trigraphs in Oberon?

Quote:

>Does the Oberon language support trigraphs like C++ at all?

>Specifically, there seems to be no keyboard that supports accented
>characters and C/C++ characters and Oberon characters. At the moment I use
>a PC with a Canadian French keyboard layout, but the one thing it lacks is
>the caret or circumflex character ^ (094 in ASCII codepage 850). In C++
>this can be substituted for with ??'

What version of Oberon are you using?  Oberon System 3 for
Windows has a nice macro facility called EditKeys which can
easily solve your problem.  I do not know if any effort has
yet been made to port it to V4.

Sat, 03 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Trigraphs in Oberon?

Quote:

>>Does the Oberon language support trigraphs like C++ at all?

>>Specifically, there seems to be no keyboard that supports accented
>>characters and C/C++ characters and Oberon characters. At the moment I use
>>a PC with a Canadian French keyboard layout, but the one thing it lacks is
>>the caret or circumflex character ^ (094 in ASCII codepage 850). In C++
>>this can be substituted for with ??'

>What version of Oberon are you using?  Oberon System 3 for
>Windows has a nice macro facility called EditKeys which can
>easily solve your problem.  I do not know if any effort has
>yet been made to port it to V4.

It started under V4!

Taylor Hutt, on my way to the hangman...

Sat, 03 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Trigraphs in Oberon?

Quote:
>>a PC with a Canadian French keyboard layout, but the one thing it lacks is
>>the caret or circumflex character ^ (094 in ASCII codepage 850). In C++
>>this can be substituted for with ??'

>What version of Oberon are you using?  Oberon System 3 for
>Windows has a nice macro facility called EditKeys which can
>easily solve your problem.  I do not know if any effort has
>yet been made to port it to V4.

EditKeys originated from V4.

V4, the mother of all Oberon applications. (Well, of most.)

        Institute for Computer Systems
        CH-8092 Zurich, Switzerland

Sun, 04 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Trigraphs in Oberon?
Oberon is a nice, clean little language (i've written parts of an Ada compiler,
and i therefore appreciate the difference).  i'd hate to see it messed up by attempting
to solve a problem in the wrong place.  compensating for inadequate keyboards is
not the job of a language, or even its compiler.  that work belongs to the keyboard interface,
and to the display.  if you have trouble typing certain characters, the keyboard driver
should provide a suitable escape or compose sequence to allow you to enter them.
the representation in the machine should be independent of the way they were entered:
the compilers and editors see good old ^, { and }.

that begs the question of what the canonical machine representation should be.
that is complicated by the variety of national and special character symbols,
which easily now exceeds a single 8-bit per character set.
`code pages' are messy, both in principle and in practice.
by far the cleanest, most straight forward, 8-bit compatible scheme
i have seen is the implementation of Unicode on Plan 9.
        http://plan9.att.com/plan9/doc/utf.html
(some of the fancier things in the paper might not be clear because
basic HTML lacks Unicode support -- see the published version for precise details)

Mon, 05 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Trigraphs in Oberon?

Quote:

>Oberon System 3 for Windows has a nice macro facility called
>EditKeys which can easily solve your problem.  I do not know
>if any effort has yet been made to port it to V4.

>It started under V4!

Quote:

>EditKeys originated from V4.

>V4, the mother of all Oberon applications. (Well, of most.)

        You know, I'm beginning to get a mysterious feeling
that EditKeys just might have begun on V4 . . .
        Has the V4 implementation been released to the
public?  I didn't find it in /pub/software/Oberon/Tools on
ftp.inf.ethz.ch, and I still cannot connect to hades.

Mon, 05 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Frage Oberon 3 / Question Oberon 3

2. CD-Oberon - Oberon/F

3. CD-Oberon Oberon 3 Printer Problem

4. Oberon System 3 / Native Oberon projects

5. inquiry about Visual Oberon/PC Native Oberon System 3

6. Native Oberon: Getting DOS based installation out of Oberon-0

7. Oberon-2 in Native Oberon System 3

8. modula2-to-Oberon, C++-to-Oberon

9. oberon kernel sources (Article 4814 in comp.lang.oberon)

10. POLL: Interest in PC Oberon (Native Oberon)

11. Oberon-Growth-Limit was Re: Oberon: beginners questions

12. Learning Oberon or Oberon/F