New to MacOberon
Author Message
 New to MacOberon

I too downloaded MacOberon3.3 after reading about it in Byte. After
finally figuring out how to adjust the printing parameters so that
I can get printed output without the tops of the pages cut off (is
the default setup for A4 paper?) and reading through the doc's and
experimenting with the system, I can say I am very e{*filter*}d by it.
But of course, I do have a few questions:

I also downloaded the source files for ProjectOberon and ProgInOberon.
One of the weird things about this is that two files, specifically
the ...ReadMe.PO and ...ReadMe.PIO files are apparently unreadable.
Trying to Write.Open or Edit.Open has no effect. And if I use a
standard text editor I get a system error "File not Found". Also, I
recently did a full backup of my hard disk, and these two files
pasted "File Open Error"'s. Am I doing something wrong, or are these
files corrupted? (I did do a hex dump of these files and they do
exist!)

Also, the other files in those packages have generic icons. Do they
need to be compiled before displaying MacOberon icons? Or do I just
need to adjust their creator/type's.

I'm also curious about the PF1...PF3 reference in the doc's to enable
inverse video for the viewers. Is this possible on a Mac with an
extended keyboard?

"Gadgets" sounds awesome. When will it be released and will it be
available for the Mac?

Are their any custom modules available by ftp, besides the ones on
Neptune?

Also, a reply to J.M.Pinc: I don't have an FPU either, but I downloaded
SoftwareFPU2.4.1 from sumex-aim.stanford.edu/info-mac/cp and it works
fine.

Dan Rolander

Mon, 23 Oct 1995 10:40:00 GMT
 New to MacOberon

Quote:

>I also downloaded the source files for ProjectOberon and ProgInOberon.
>One of the weird things about this is that two files, specifically
>the ...ReadMe.PO and ...ReadMe.PIO files are apparently unreadable.
>Trying to Write.Open or Edit.Open has no effect. And if I use a
>standard text editor I get a system error "File not Found". Also, I
>recently did a full backup of my hard disk, and these two files
>pasted "File Open Error"'s. Am I doing something wrong, or are these
>files corrupted? (I did do a hex dump of these files and they do
>exist!)

I assume you refer to the DOS-version. I had the same probleme and
attributed it to the wayu how the fileNAMES are stored internally. DOS
knows traditionally of 3 characters suffix only. They had to find a
way to circumvent this and this causes occasional problems. (It seems
to be a real quirck) In any case. Copy the file under DOS to something
with a 3 char extension acces it under Oberon and store it back the way you
want to.
IF THERE IS A BETTER WAY, LET ME KNOW!

Quote:
>I'm also curious about the PF1...PF3 reference in the doc's to enable
>inverse video for the viewers. Is this possible on a Mac with an
>extended keyboard?

Yep, see the docu for mac there are ways to do this. Unfortunately
I do not remember how and do not have the docu available. (It is to
be found in the electronic info tha ships with the system for mac.)

Quote:
>"Gadgets" sounds awesome. When will it be released and will it be
>available for the Mac?

No idea!

Mon, 23 Oct 1995 14:02:44 GMT
 New to MacOberon

Quote:

>Also, a reply to J.M.Pinc: I don't have an FPU either, but I downloaded
>SoftwareFPU2.4.1 from sumex-aim.stanford.edu/info-mac/cp and it works
>fine.

Does anyone know if Oberon 3.3 will work on a Mac with a 68040LC
(eg Centris 610/650)?  Or is an emulation required and is there one
that works with the 68040LC?

Jon Vander Hill

--
Jon Vander Hill

Mon, 23 Oct 1995 23:32:49 GMT

1. New MacOberon 2.32 beta posted

2. MacOberon V4: Problem with NEW

3. New MacOberon Release 2.04?

4. New MacOberon S3 Release

5. MacOberon - new Version available

6. TDD and MacOberon

7. MacOberon people: how exploit vector processing of G4 (3x Pentium III/600)

8. MacOberon people: how exploit vector processing of G4 (3x Pentium III/600)

9. MacOberon System 3 Release 2.3

10. MacOberon R3

11. Kensington Thinking Mouse works for MacOberon

12. Any MacOberon user on the world...