Thinking about Tryin Oberon Native
Author Message
 Thinking about Tryin Oberon Native

Hi,

 my name is Tony Wycihowski, I'm looking around at trying to help out
one of many under supported os out on the internet. So I was wounder
what types of Apps are their for Oberon... like any word process? games
etc... it seem like your os is vary mature and stable.

So please feel me in more about it ...
I would install on it own computer... is this hard???
What type of file system will I need to install?

THanks
Tony

Mon, 03 Mar 2003 11:56:57 GMT
 Thinking about Tryin Oberon Native

Quote:

[...]

> So please feel me in more about it ...
> I would install on it own computer... is this hard???
> What type of file system will I need to install?

have a look at http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/native/
especially at http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/install.html
and http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/hcl.html

regards

   Bernhard

Mon, 03 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Thinking about Tryin Oberon Native

Quote:
> Hi,

>  my name is Tony Wycihowski, I'm looking around at trying to help out
> one of many under supported os out on the internet. So I was wounder
> what types of Apps are their for Oberon... like any word process? games
> etc... it seem like your os is vary mature and stable.

> So please feel me in more about it ...
> I would install on it own computer... is this hard???
> What type of file system will I need to install?

System 3, native oberon, freely available from ETH, runs on various platforms.
I've run: Standalone, linux based, DOSbased.
Apparently Win??  ..etc exist also.

When I look at *.Tool  System.Directory ^ (which takes 3 seconds to do,
showing you how fast native oberon usage is), I see:-
ASCIITab.Tool
Applications.Tool
AsciiCoder.Tool
Backup.Tool
Book.Tool
...... etc.
WTS.Tool
toy.Tool

68 files
------------
So there are some 68 apps .
Games.Tool shows me:-
Sokoban (ejz) - Push the garbage cans around using the cursor keys!

        Desktops.OpenDoc (Sokoban.NewDoc) ~
        Sokoban.ShowHighScores

Scramble (ejz) - Unscramble the puzzle!

        Desktops.OpenDoc (Scramble.NewDoc) ~
        First mark (*) a ScrambleDoc, then change either the picture or size.
        Scramble.ChangePict ^   Clown.Pict      Default.Pict    Grapes.Pict
        Scramble.ChangeSize ^   2 2     3 3     4 4     5 5     6 6

Shanghai (ps) -

        Desktops.OpenDoc (Shanghai.NewDoc)

Card Games (ps) - Solitaire, Spider and Freecell

        Desktops.OpenDoc CardGames.Panel

Tetris (wi) - Play Tetris!

        Desktops.OpenDoc Tetris.Panel

Mine Sweeper (ps & md) - Find the mines!

        Desktops.OpenDoc My.Game(MineSweeper.NewDoc)

Asteroids (wi) - The Classic

        Desktops.OpenDoc Asteroids.Doc (Asteroids.NewDoc)~
        rotate anticlockwise - left arrow
        rotate clockwise - right arrow
        thrust - up arrow
        fire - space
        shield - z
        warp - x

Authors

        ejz - Emil Zeller
        ps - Patrick Saladin
        md - Markus D?twyler
        wi - Wolfgang Ibl
--------------
So apparently there are some games.
The three button mouse's facilities and the window-framing layout are
super efficient, once the initial unfamiliarity are over come.
My complaint is the lack of directories. So I have to indirectly pack my
50 files per week (from inet access) to FAT16 or Linux directories.
A Norton commander type of interface to a 'directory' file system
would be great.

BTW. this post is too long, cos it's TOO easy to: open a file, search4 a string,
cutNpaste to another file....  with native oberon.

Mon, 03 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Oberon System 3 / Native Oberon projects

2. inquiry about Visual Oberon/PC Native Oberon System 3

3. Native Oberon: Getting DOS based installation out of Oberon-0

4. Oberon-2 in Native Oberon System 3

5. POLL: Interest in PC Oberon (Native Oberon)

6. SOFTWARE: Native XDS-x86 v2.20 (Modula-2/Oberon-2 compiler)

7. USB Zip drive under BlueBottle or Native Oberon?

8. USB Zip drive under BlueBottle or Native Oberon?

9. XML For Plugin/Native Oberon

10. Oberon-2 Win32 Native

11. Native oberon usage outside of G7 societies.

12. Mouse hangs after booting Native Oberon