'Compiler Construction' by Niklaus Wirth
Author Message
 'Compiler Construction' by Niklaus Wirth

I understand that Nikalus Wirth has a new book out titled 'Compiler
Construction' that includes a PC platform compiler.  I have a couple of
questions.

Has anyone in the US seen or received this book yet?  Also, does the
compiler generate DOS or Win95 executables?
--
Thanks - Jack Rasnick

[Sure looks like it's available, it has a home page at
http://www.*-*-*.com/
-John]
--

Sun, 18 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 'Compiler Construction' by Niklaus Wirth

Quote:
> I understand that Nikalus Wirth has a new book out titled 'Compiler
> Construction' that includes a PC platform compiler.  I have a couple of
> questions.

The book Project Oberon: Design of an operating system and compiler by
Wirth is also very useful.

Quote:
> Has anyone in the US seen or received this book yet?

Yes, I picked up a copy from the san jose, CA computer literacy
bookstores.

Quote:
> Does the compiler generate dos or win95 executables?

No. It should not be too difficult to recode it in C or C++ or Java
since the whole thing is < 1500 lines. you have to design a code
generator but what exists can give a good framework. You would require
the intel manuals ( about 60 US$ ). Dos or win95 executable format - i
don't know how to do it. if someone knows please tell me.  one thing
is you can create a .com file for dos. all dos does is load it and run
it. so it is pretty simple.

A few words about the book compiler construction.  It is an
introductory book on compiler construction. It implements a Pascal
like languge called oberon-0. The language is reasonably complete.

features :
*) written in oberon
*) Base types integer and boolean only. has records, arrays and
single inheritence. no methods or abstract methods or multiple
inheritance.
*) complete control statement syntax
*) code generation for an simple RISC abstract machine. includes
interpreter for the abstract machine.
*) Explores compiler writing using no tools. parser is recursive
descent and has some good implementation suggestions for error
recovery. scanner is simple but efficient.
*) tend to think it was designed for an introductory course in
compiler construction.
--

Tue, 20 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 'Compiler Construction' by Niklaus Wirth

Quote:

>I understand that Nikalus Wirth has a new book out titled 'Compiler
>Construction' that includes a PC platform compiler.  I have a couple of
>questions.

>Has anyone in the US seen or received this book yet?  Also, does the
>compiler generate DOS or Win95 executables?

I have the book. I am unable to install the compiler on Windows 95
(the install program gets into a loop asking me to insert the
diskette). Knowing Wirth, I doubt it generates DOS or Windows
executables; instead he would generate an executable for his
pseudo-Risc machine, and provide an interpreter to execute the
generated code. The interpreter would run under Windows, but execute
your program in a DOS-like window. (this is just a guess, since I
haven't gotten it to install yet).

Below is the README.TXT file from the diskette that comes with the book.

             This is the diskette accompanying the book:
          "Principles & Techniques of Compiler Construction"
                             by N. Wirth

This diskette is structured as follows:

\SOURCES   This directory contains the source code of the Oberon-O
           compiler described in the book. It is subdivided into the
           following subdirectories:

  \OBERON  ETH-Oberon text files. (The files in this directory can
           be used from any Oberon V4 System).
  \DOS     DOS/Windows ascii files.
  \MAC     Macintosh ascii files.
  \UNIX    Unix ascii files.

\WIN_SYS  This directory contains a complete Oberon System for
          Windows 95, Windows NT or Win32s. The README.DOC
          (Word 6.0 Format) or the README.TXT (ASCII) file from this
          directory describes in details how to install the Oberon
          System on your PC.

Other implementations of the Oberon System can be found on our
anonymous FTP server: ftp://ftp.inf.ethz.ch/pub/software/Oberon.

For more information about Oberon, have a look at the Oberon Home Page
on the Web. Its URL is http://www-cs.inf.ethz.ch/Oberon.html.

-------------------------------------
Michael A. Quinlan

http://www.primenet.com/~mikeq
--

Tue, 20 Apr 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 'Compiler Construction' by Niklaus Wirth

   I understand that Nikalus Wirth has a new book out titled 'Compiler
   Construction' that includes a PC platform compiler.  I have a couple of
   questions.

   Has anyone in the US seen or received this book yet?  Also, does the
   compiler generate DOS or Win95 executables?

We have the book in Canada. I peeked at it quickly: It describes a
subset of Oberon, with the type of pragmatic detail as you may expect
from Wirth. I would recommend it for undergrad students especially, or
anyone who would like to get into writing small recursive-descent
compilers with the least amount of seasickness.  A bigger compiler is
described in the Oberon book itself, but not with this detail. I do
not think it generates dos executables.

--

Sat, 01 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Who are the 2 Niklaus Wirth's

2. Niklaus Wirth's EULER

3. Niklaus Wirth's compiler book (was Re: Compiler.)

4. ANNOUNCE: C++ Version of Wirth's Oberon-O compiler

5. Wirth's Oberon-0 Compiler for Pow!

6. New Book: The School of Niklaus Wirth

7. Interview with Niklaus Wirth

8. New Book: The School of Niklaus Wirth

9. Niklaus Wirth

10. Niklaus Wirth: The Human

11. Niklaus Wirth: The Human

12. Niklaus Wirth