Using ESC key instead of F2
Author Message
 Using ESC key instead of F2

I have downloaded and installed:

ETH PlugIn Oberon for WindowsTM / Win32 2.4 (14.5.2001)

In:

The Oberon Companion
A Guide to Using and Programming Oberon System 3
by Andr Fischer and Hannes Marais

it says:

"Neutralize key. To remove all marks on the display, including the caret,
the marker and text selections, press the Neutralize key. The F2 key is
defined as Neutralize key for all the Oberon system implementations. [...]
By default, the ESC key is a Neutralize key."

This is not the case in ETH System 3.  It does say:

In addition, a system can be customized to recognize the ESC key as
Neutralize key or as key generating the ESC character CHR(27).

Does anyone know how to do this? I can't find an answer anywhere in the
supplied documentation.

Thanks

Mark

Sat, 08 Nov 2003 22:05:22 GMT
 Using ESC key instead of F2
Well I don't have an answer for you, but you have answered I question I had.
I've been using System 3 for Windows for some time and had just started
using
Plugin Oberon a few months ago.  I had noticed that the ESC key no longer
cleared all marks, but I didn't know about the F2 key.  I thought this was
just a bug.  Apparently it was not.

Quote:

>I have downloaded and installed:

>ETH PlugIn Oberon for WindowsTM / Win32 2.4 (14.5.2001)

>In:

>The Oberon Companion
>A Guide to Using and Programming Oberon System 3
>by Andr Fischer and Hannes Marais

>it says:

>"Neutralize key. To remove all marks on the display, including the caret,
>the marker and text selections, press the Neutralize key. The F2 key is
>defined as Neutralize key for all the Oberon system implementations. [...]
>By default, the ESC key is a Neutralize key."

>This is not the case in ETH System 3.  It does say:

>In addition, a system can be customized to recognize the ESC key as
>Neutralize key or as key generating the ESC character CHR(27).

>Does anyone know how to do this? I can't find an answer anywhere in the
>supplied documentation.

>Thanks

>Mark

Guns don't kill people...bullets do
(Pistol {*filter*} exception already noted)

"I suppose that human beings looking at it would say that arms are the most
dangerous things that a dictator, a tyrant needs to fear.  But in fact, no -
it is when people decide they want to be free. Once they have made up their
minds to that, there is nothing that will stop them." -- Desmond Tutu

Sat, 08 Nov 2003 22:55:12 GMT
 Using ESC key instead of F2

Quote:

>This is not the case in ETH System 3.  It does say:

Actually, it is the default case.  While I was installing NO3 on my laptop
and the NT version at work, in both cases, I had to tell it to use F2
instead of ESC.  The reason is I value the ESC key more than I value the Fx
keys, especially for Internet-related activities.

--
KC5TJA/6, DM13, QRP-L #1447
Samuel A. Falvo II

Sat, 08 Nov 2003 23:36:22 GMT
 Using ESC key instead of F2

Quote:

> >This is not the case in ETH System 3.  It does say:

> Actually, it is the default case.  While I was installing NO3 on my laptop
> and the NT version at work, in both cases, I had to tell it to use F2
> instead of ESC.  The reason is I value the ESC key more than I value the Fx
> keys, especially for Internet-related activities.

> --
> KC5TJA/6, DM13, QRP-L #1447
> Samuel A. Falvo II
> Oceanside, CA

Sun, 09 Nov 2003 06:11:18 GMT
 Using ESC key instead of F2

OOPS!  I forgot about that address setting.  (I have too many e-mail
accounts.)  I used to be sysadmin for armored.net, and they closed their
doors.

Sorry, I'll fix it later tonight.

--
KC5TJA/6, DM13, QRP-L #1447